House Approves Rule For Concealed Weapons Bill

House approves rule for concealed weapons bill
By Pete Kasperowicz - 11/15/11 03:22 PM ET

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/193747-house-approves-rule-for-concealed-weapons-bill

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/193597-tuesday-concealed-weapons-in-the-house

The House on Tuesday approved the rule for legislation that would require states to recognize each other's concealed weapons permits.

Members approved the bill in a 271-153 vote in which 35 Democrats voted with every Republican.

The House moved immediately to special order speeches, and will take up debate on the concealed weapons bill, H.R. 822, and various amendments, later in the week.

Last edited:
All the republican voted for it.

Lets see if ALL the republicans in the Senate vote for it!

Oh dang, now they gone and done it. What's with this amendment stuff, later in the week.

Last edited:
It will never make it to Obama, he will have the senate kill it so he doesn't have to take a stand on a 2A issue on an election year.

Mike you are probally right. However I hope it hits his desk, and he has to show his true colors. That should help keep him from being re-elected.

The House did NOT approve the bill yet. Today there was just a motion to bring the bill to the floor for a vote. The actual vote is Wednesday November 16th, 2011. This is from an email I received from GOA today:
On Tuesday, the U.S. House voted in favor of a procedural motion to allow concealed carry legislation to come to the floor for a vote on Wednesday.

The bill, H.R. 822, is intended to honor the American peoples’ right to keep and bear arms when traveling from state to state.

But while well-intentioned, H.R. 822 contains several flaws.

Vermont Gun Owners Cut Out of Bill

For starters, the bill does not protect Vermont-style carry. Residents of that state do not need a permit in order to exercise their right to carry a firearm. But in order to benefit from the reciprocity bill, Vermonters would be forced to obtain a permit.

When GOA pointed out this problem, supporters of the legislation said Vermont residents can “just get an out-of-state permit.”

But that answer is unacceptable.

Why should existing liberties be sacrificed in the rush to pass a faulty bill? Why should a state with exemplary gun laws be, in effect, “punished” for being too pro-gun?

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) offered a real solution to this issue with his bill, HR 2900. Rep. Broun’s bill protects the Vermont law and those of states that follow Vermont ’s lead.

Click here to email your Representative

Protect Constitutional Carry

Constitutional Carry, wherein citizens can carry a firearm without first having to prove their worthiness to the police or government bureaucrats, is spreading to states around the country.

Alaska , Arizona and Wyoming now have Constitutional Carry laws based on the Vermont model. Montana passed such a law that covers 98% of the state, and Texas passed a “constitutional carry lite” law that applies to firearms carried in a vehicle.

These new laws represent the efforts of hundreds of thousands of grassroots gun owners working in their states to restore their constitutional rights.

The bill coming to the floor on Wednesday will deter such efforts by requiring state residents to possess a permit in order to be able to carry interstate.

The Broun bill is Constitutional Carry-friendly and would not undermine the work underway in many states to pass laws similar to Vermont ’s.

Pass the Best Bill Possible

Supporters of H.R. 822 argue that this bill is the best that can be passed. That pragmatic argument is simply not true.

In 2009, a Senate bill virtually identical to H.R. 2900 garnered 58 votes. And that was before the last election, which improved the Senate significantly.

The “best bill possible” is the one that already has the votes in the Senate to pass. The supporters of H.R. 822 instead chose to move a weaker bill in the chamber where gun owners have more support.

Supporters of H.R. 822 also want NO amendments (even ones that are pro-gun) to pass to the underlying bill. But an amendment is exactly what is needed to correct the deficiencies in this bill.

Contact Your Representative Right Away

Please take action quickly, as this bill is set to come to the floor on Wednesday afternoon.

GOA has provided a prewritten message you can send asking your Representative to cosponsor H.R. 2900 and to urge the House leaders to fix the flaws in the concealed carry reciprocity bill.

It will never make it to Obama, he will have the senate kill it so he doesn't have to take a stand on a 2A issue on an election year.

I'm not so sure on that - Senate 2012 is a potential nightmare for the Dems, and asking them to kill a 2A bill puts the target on their back. Not convinced that they're willing to do that for Dear Leader ...

Sorry to say, but the position of GOA is completely unacceptable. ANY improvement is still that ... an improvement. To torpedo an overall sensible bill on grounds of ideological fundamentalism is just stoopid. Instead of balkanizing ("Life of Brian" comes to mind), all 2A supporters should throw their weight behind the same goal, and aim for improvements later (no pun intended :)).

Maybe looking at Vermont will open the eyes of other states that maybe a license isn't really necessary after all.

I have a feeling this is one of those bills that are only presented so that liberals and republicans alike can say "Look. I voted for gun rights!" while knowing full well it won't pass.

I have a feeling this is one of those bills that are only presented so that liberals and republicans alike can say "Look. I voted for gun rights!" while knowing full well it won't pass.

Yup. My guess is it's a done deal and it won't be pretty. Reps who want credit for voting for the bill, but have no particular interest in it passing (or who would actually prefer it not pass so that they can say "hey, I voted for it" without their opposition making a big deal about it passing) would vote to vote, as would reps who know the "fix is in" and the bill won't pass - so get the vote done while they know it can be killed.

The House did NOT approve the bill yet. Today there was just a motion to bring the bill to the floor for a vote. The actual vote is Wednesday November 16th, 2011. This is from an email I received from GOA today:

"House Approves Rule For Concealed Weapons Bill". That's what I posted. I said nothing about the actual vote.

Well when the heck is the actual vote? And how long after it is voted on(wins) does this bill go to the senate. That article is written as if it was voted on...

Last edited:
It will, at least, be interesting to watch Obama squirm, if it reaches his desk. The decision will be completely up to him. He knows there are not enough votes to overide his veto, but I'm sure he will have to consider the ramifications of his blocking the bill. He will ultimately veto it, but it will be fun to watch. I pray it will get some press.

If Obama vetoes the bill, it won't affect him in the polls because those who want it passed are already going to vote against him. It might even give him a boost as some of the Dems who are beginning to get disenchanted with him might see this as a plus in his favor.

Sorry to say, but the position of GOA is completely unacceptable. ANY improvement is still that ... an improvement. To torpedo an overall sensible bill on grounds of ideological fundamentalism is just stoopid. Instead of balkanizing ("Life of Brian" comes to mind), all 2A supporters should throw their weight behind the same goal, and aim for improvements later (no pun intended :)).

Agree 100%! There will always be one state (or more) that has a slightly negative consequence from any given bill, but this is one that definitely serves the greater good for almost the entire country! Maybe once it passes (or beforehand if possible) they could write in some type of language to provide for Vermont residents where their Driver's license would suffice as proof of their right to carry in lieu of an actual permit like many other states require. Seems like common sense to do this rather than scrap the whole bill, since it will be a cold day in hell before we can ever get every state behind Constitutional carry as it exists in Vermont. Even the great state of Texas isn't that way!

Am I the only one who thinks that there's some loophole in this bill like the part that that the state has to issue a concealed carry permit for it to be vaild and that someone how the deval and his cronies in mass will figure out a way to pass a law to disallow it here.

Patriots68,
I feel that deval and his cronies are already thinking along the lines that if your ccw permit is the same as your drivers permit. Than they will be able to require you to register and insure your firearms just as you do your car. As much as I wish I could carry while I travel for work all over the country, I fear the gun grabbers will see their own way to make firearms ownership prohibitly expinsive for the law abideing citizen. And this makes me quite sad.

Patriots68,
I feel that deval and his cronies are already thinking along the lines that if your ccw permit is the same as your drivers permit. Than they will be able to require you to register and insure your firearms just as you do your car. As much as I wish I could carry while I travel for work all over the country, I fear the gun grabbers will see their own way to make firearms ownership prohibitly expinsive for the law abideing citizen. And this makes me quite sad.

They are WAY AHEAD of you already!

Check the e-FA-10 form online. They STRONGLY IMPLY that you should register ALL your guns that aren't in their database, including folks who move in with their guns (specifically exempt spelled out in MGL), guns that were previously registered but not computerized (<1986 for dealer transactions and <10/21/1998 for FTF), etc.

Every year or two a moonbat files legislation to require $250K or $1M insurance coverage (liability) for EVERY GUN you own. Luckily (and due to hard work by GOAL) none of these attempts have gone anywhere . . . but they persist in trying to screw with us.

This bill will do nothing to help/hurt gun owners in this regard . . . the moonbats will still try to screw us. We need to be ever vigilant!!!

Back
Top Bottom