• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

House Review of S2284 (formerly SB 2265)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The House is in recess until 1300hrs tomorrow.

Their schedule has nothing to do with the Conference Committee, they will meet on their own schedule.

The conference committee met for a good chunk of this afternoon and nothing came from it, or at least that's what they're saying...

I'll send that article too. I decided to modify my letter from last Friday and send it to the Democrats on the committee. I don't have to worry about Mr. Peterson or Mr. Tarr. I'll thank them for their efforts once this is over with.

Wouldn’t doing this, proponents argue, extend an extra measure of safety by allowing police chiefs to refuse to issue FID cards even when applicants meet all state and federal licensing requirements? Might not this discretion have prevented Newtown, Connecticut, mass-murderer Adam Lanza from fatally shooting 20 children and 6 adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, and prevented James Holmes from killing 12 others in an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater?

No on all counts! Lanza didn't have (need) a license. He stole his mother's guns, and shot her with them. And Holmes used an AR-15, which you can't purchase in MA with an FID, anyway.

No on all counts! Lanza didn't have (need) a license. He stole his mother's guns, and shot her with them. And Holmes used an AR-15, which you can't purchase in MA with an FID, anyway.

Can't purchase a handgun on FID card, either. FID suitability would not have saved one life in CT.

I sent the following to my reps, along with a CC to the speaker (Which I am sure will get close attention!). I intend to follow up with phone calls as well, Look forward to seeing the legislature hearing from all of us!

I know the speakers gun legislation is due for committee action and voting soon. I again want to voice my concerns.

I still firmly believe that instead of making MA laws even more stringent and oppresive (They are currently among the most severe regulations in the country) we need to improve VIOLENCE control! Consistent enforcement of existing gun and criminal statutes will do a much better job at protecting us from criminals than yet more laws limiting the rights of law abiding citizens.

Of particular concern is the loud and near hysterical cries from police officials that they need absolute authority to issue FID and carry permits. If they follow the laws, there is ample opportunity to prevent felons (By definition, they don't obey the laws anyway) and the unstable from legally obtaining guns.

If legislation changes "Will Issue" to "May Issue" status, we will be in the position where every municipality will have it's own "law", dependent upon the personality and attitude of the chief. This flies in blatant disregard to the constitution, current legal rulings and would be unlikely to withstand constitutional challenges in court. There are many more useful and productive actions that the legislature might address.

Please read and vote carefully on this bill, I will appreciate a follow up after voting so constituents know where you stand.

sent this earlier today

I write to you today to urge you to support the Senate language of H4285. As recently brought to light by the comments of the Boston Police Commissioner Evans, who said that no one in Boston needs a shotgun of rifle, there is already desire to limit the rights of law abiding citizens by the chiefs of police via disecretion over the issuance of FID cards. Who needs a rifle or shotgun in Boston? While these are also great examples of home defense means, the weekend sportsman who leaves the city to enjoy the outdoors and hunting would surely appreciate it. Statements such as Mr Evans clearly shows why the chiefs of police are so adamant about expanding their ability to abuse the Massachusetts licensing scam.

Recent case law has reaffirmed the right to firearms inside and outside of the home (see Heller vs. District of Columbia, and McDonlad vs. Chicago) and eventually litigation will bring this to the eyes of the Mass SJC. The state will only incur further litigation costs when these cases come about by adding the discretion to the FID issuance. I urge you to examine the licensing process closely in towns like Salem (blanket restrictions on LTC) and Canton (good luck getting an LTC-A) and explain why adding more discretion makes sense. Towns like these do not respect private citizens rights nor do they give due process in this application process.

Whether or not you believe it, there is abuse of the licensing scheme in Mass with regards to issuance. Do not add to this problem by allowing chiefs of police discretion over FID cards.

Yours in Liberty,
hv55maxx

sent this earlier today

Who needs a rifle or shotgun in Boston? While these are also great examples of home defense means, the weekend sportsman who leaves the city to enjoy the outdoors and hunting would surely appreciate it.

I think this guy had better call Joe Biden.

I think this guy had better call Joe Biden.

He's on speed dial. Wanna talk to him?

Just pandering out the point that people don't just leave them in the woods at the location of their next hunting trip

basically it all comes down to being sick of being told what to do by those that "know better" aka some of the legistraitors that make up this craziness

He's on speed dial. Wanna talk to him?

Just pandering out the point that people don't just leave them in the woods at the location of their next hunting trip

basically it all comes down to being sick of being told what to do by those that "know better" aka some of the legistraitors that make up this craziness

I mean the sanctimonious Commissioner who obviously doesn't know what the item he intends to regulate can be used for. I mean Joe said all we need is a double barrel shotgun.

I mean the sanctimonious Commissioner who obviously doesn't know what the item he intends to regulate can be used for. I mean Joe said all we need is a double barrel shotgun.

The commissioner might well be the same person who was quoted as "if it's tourist season can we shoot 'em?" Which we find hysterical as a bumper sticker but he asked in all honesty

wait so they're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist?

Nope. Still trying to capitalize on something to push an agenda.

It kills me that no one has asked why the center for HANDGUN violence is opposed to a bill about long guns.

Did they vote on the 'Fluffernutter' yet?

Peanut Butter and Marshmallow. What is not to like?

Last edited:
I think the sticking point is debating the merits of crunchy vs. creamy peanut butter. I prefer chunky.

Anyone heard any news on the committee deliberations? I assume they would have to have any revised legislation in place today in order to even get a vote on it before the legislative session ends tomorrow...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom