• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do I register inherited shotgun?

Jfrog

NES Member
My grandfather passed away sometime back and I'm the only member of the family with any interest in guns whatsoever so naturally his shotgun goes to me. He was from Connecticut I have no idea what its registration status is or if there ever was one. I am hoping perhaps I could get it registered within a short amount of time and use it to take a buck this year. I want to know how difficult it is to get it registered. For example can I just bring it in somewhere and say hey would you mind registering this for me piece of cake? Or must I have some sort of accompanying paperwork? And since we're already here I'd like to ask the same question but with small pistols instead of shotgun

We don’t have registration. We record transactions. CT and most states don’t do either. And what taking a buck has to do with any of this…. The real issue is how to transfer the gun across state lines.

Just take the thing home:

tumblr_n37ffq7cY21tx5njuo1_1280.jpg

My grandfather passed away sometime back and I'm the only member of the family with any interest in guns whatsoever so naturally his shotgun goes to me. He was from Connecticut I have no idea what its registration status is or if there ever was one. I am hoping perhaps I could get it registered within a short amount of time and use it to take a buck this year. I want to know how difficult it is to get it registered. For example can I just bring it in somewhere and say hey would you mind registering this for me piece of cake? Or must I have some sort of accompanying paperwork? And since we're already here I'd like to ask the same question but with small pistols instead of shotgun
D66BF243-0ADE-4AA5-9CC2-41B15B045719.jpeg

Welcome to NES, where any question posted by a new member that's covered in some obscure thread from 10 years ago gets you roasted.

Welcome to NES, where any question posted by a new member that's covered in some obscure thread from 10 years ago gets you roasted.
Ummm, not quite.
From OP we don't know his state of residence. Just that grandad was from CT.
Post is all over the place and unanswerable in its current form.

There are very specific laws regarding inheritance of firearms, especially in MA.
"Naturally it comes to me" does not sound like a legal bequethment. [shrug]

Last edited:
A lot of people saying to keep it and don’t do any paperwork but also this gun can’t be legally sold or transferred in that scenario either assuming it came across state lines. Passing down a felony in the family sounds like a real treat for everyone.

Situational Awareness is Key.

"Naturally it comes to me" does not sound like a legal bequethment.
You can't imagine how much I didn't dissect that.
Well, yet, at least.

A lot of people saying to keep it and don’t do any paperwork but also this gun can’t be legally sold or transferred in that scenario either assuming it came across state lines.
lol-machine-0073.jpg

A lot of people saying to keep it and don’t do any paperwork but also this gun can’t be legally sold or transferred in that scenario either assuming it came across state lines. Passing down a felony in the family sounds like a real treat for everyone.
So.....your saying since its a long gun out of state, not sold by a CT FFL, he needs to take it to a MA FFL and inbound it, then that FFL transfer it to him correct? Like a handgun? Does it need to be shipped directly because him touching it without transferring it from a dealer would be a no no???

So......Just FA-10 documentation only would technically be illegal??

Just trying to paint this picture clearly of what your saying......

Because we all know buying from a long gun from an FFL out of state and bringing into the state is totally legal as long as you record the transaction via FA-10 within 7 days. Of course, in that transaction its totally good to not include what what dealer you bought the gun at and what state it was from.........so there's that.

Last edited:
As does voting Democrat. Jack.

The gun I am asking about is an old Winchester with just a butt stock no pistol grip I want to make it legal to hunt with in Massachusetts where I live It just doesn't have any paperwork

Back
Top Bottom