• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do I register inherited shotgun?

We are just messing around in the last few posts.........

There are several posts in laws section that cover actual inheritance should you really decide you need to do that.

The gun I am asking about is an old Winchester with just a butt stock no pistol grip I want to make it legal to hunt with in Massachusetts where I live It just doesn't have any paperwork
The law is clear. No firearm (not goverend by the NFA) in MA is "registered." There are countless reasons your firearm might not "have any paperwork" that are 100% legal. You can hunt with firearms that aren't yours. That this was not covered in your LTC class is a disservice by your instructor.

The search feature here isn't great, but DuckDuckGo et al. would show that all of this is covered in past threads. If you would like a better understanding of these things, and self-teaching isn't your thing, it would be wise to take @Len-2A Training's upcoming class. Failing that, keep an eye out for one of the sessions @JGreen of @GOAL offers.

What's not clear (folks shitposting aside) is the actual situation you find yourself in. It sounds like you live in MA. It sounds like your grandfather, who lived in CT, is now deceased. If there's a will, and in it you are listed as the proper recipient, the executor of his estate can simply deliver the shotgun to you. In most of America, that would be eht end of the story, but as this is MA you are to then record it in the portal in the same way you would if you'd bought it at a shop in CT and brought it home. If it's not officially bequeathed to you, the feds say you need to visit a FFL to make a transfer. If you do that out of state, you will then record it as above; if the transfer happens at a MA FFL, they'll run the FA10 at the same time.

There seems to be a grey area around what would happen if your grandfather had loaned it to you, such that it was in your possession when he passed. I'll let others get deeper into that, and correct any mistakes I've made.

Last edited:
The gun I am asking about is an old Winchester with just a butt stock no pistol grip I want to make it legal to hunt with in Massachusetts where I live It just doesn't have any paperwork
Somehow you have gotten really bad information about MA gun laws. You need no paperwork. You can hunt with a borrowed gun or a gun you own. You can hunt with a gun the state knows about and a gun the state has no clue exists. Your shotgun can have a pistol grip or no pistol grip. You are mostly creating an issue that does not exist.

A lot of people saying to keep it and don’t do any paperwork but also this gun can’t be legally sold or transferred in that scenario either assuming it came across state lines. Passing down a felony in the family sounds like a real treat for everyone.
there are several ways a firearm might have traveled "across state lines" lawfully to find itself in his possession. That alone doesn't make it a problem to transfer it later.

For example (100% the work of my imagination):
Grandfather "is from" CT, and bought it there. In his twilight years, he moved to MA to be nearer his favorite daughter and only grandson. Having brought it with him during the move, there's no reporting requirement. Fast forward - gramps shuffles off this mortal coil. Mom barely knows which way the bullets come out, but grandson has recently taken a shine to the hobby. As neither of them actually understands the morass that is MA firearms law, we find ourselves inundated with half-formed questions, and respond with our usual salty attitudes...
[end scene]

since we have barely enough information to fill a thimble, there's a bunch of supposition. and horseplay

... If there's a will, and in it you are listed as the proper recipient, the executor of his estate can simply deliver the shotgun to you. ... If it's not officially bequeathed to you, the feds say you need to visit a FFL to make a transfer.
What law that says that if an estate includes firearms,
and the recipients are heirs -
either explicitly named, or through the law of kinship and descent,
that the firearms are "inherited" for purposes of gun laws
only if via explicit bequest of specific guns to specific people.

If a gun owner dies intestate,
leaving no spouse and one child,
does the child "inherit" their parent's guns?

If a will says, "my firearms are to go to my children",
but doesn't bequeath specific guns to specific kids,
and the children and the executor all reach a mutual agreement about who gets what,
did the kids "inherit" any guns?

there are several ways a firearm might have traveled "across state lines" lawfully to find itself in his possession. That alone doesn't make it a problem to transfer it later.
Can I get me a legal opinion on the helium balloon method?

What law that says that if an estate includes firearms,
and the recipients are heirs -
either explicitly named, or through the law of kinship and descent,
that the firearms are "inherited" for purposes of gun laws
only if via explicit bequest of specific guns to specific people.

If a gun owner dies intestate,
leaving no spouse and one child,
does the child "inherit" their parent's guns?

If a will says, "my firearms are to go to my children",
but doesn't bequeath specific guns to specific kids,
and the children and the executor all reach a mutual agreement about who gets what,
did the kids "inherit" any guns?
I'm sure @Len-2A Training or maybe @CrackPot has a better handle on that than I do.
Can I get me a legal opinion on the helium balloon method?
Above my pay grade

I’m still waiting to see if this is the same guy I met just hours before this thread was started. I had a couple words with a lady that works at the post office about covid vs gov bs and this guy overheard my comments to her. He approached me afterwards and struck up conversation that led to asking me almost identical questions about a shotgun and a pistol in MA.

No problems with the conversation we had, seemed like a decent guy, but thought it was funny to read this thread only a couple hours later. Small world for NES’rs in Metrowest?

Don't make fun of my daddy. He's already changed his name to Rastus, bought a black hoodie and a big hammer and is making shopping lists. Hope that there's some good stuff on there for me. Megan.
Sometimes I wonder if this is just Megan pecking at the keyboard. 😁

I’m still waiting to see if this is the same guy I met just hours before this thread was started. I had a couple words with a lady that works at the post office about covid vs gov bs and this guy overheard my comments to her. He approached me afterwards and struck up conversation that led to asking me almost identical questions about a shotgun and a pistol in MA.

No problems with the conversation we had, seemed like a decent guy, but thought it was funny to read this thread only a couple hours later. Small world for NES’rs in Metrowest?
did he look like this?

1638409720626.jpeg

Might be a spy.....

Back
Top Bottom