• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do we get transfers done tonight?

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Let's say you found an AR and are interested in buying it. It looks like the site where we do the transfer is either jammed solid or down.
What happens at 12:01AM?
How do we get this done?

Personal transfers from one owner to another are not affected. I received this directly from the AG's office when I called at 12 today. This is strictly for dealers

Personal transfers from one owner to another are not affected. I received this directly from the AG's office when I called at 12 today. This is strictly for dealers

If I was in a laughing mood, this would be funny.

So basically, we buy AR's and AK's from friends now, instead of the dealer. Um, ok............still really pissed though.

So basically, we buy AR's and AK's from friends now, instead of the dealer. Um, ok............still really pissed though.

Yep, so Maura accomplished what to help keep scary guns off the street that those mothers groups are so scared of? Unbelievable

no need to panic about jack shit

Thats incorrect information. Transfers are not allowed per this:

http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/assault-weapons-guidance.pdf

The sale, transfer, or possession of an “Assault weapon,” as defined in Section 121, is unlawfulpursuant to G.L. c. 140, §§ 128 and 131M.

I'm just telling you what they told me on the phone. It's my understanding that DEALERS are not allowed to do transfers. As in you cannot buy a rifle on Gunbroker and have it transferred in.

You have 7 days to do an FA-10 correct? And one of the fields you fill out is the date of transaction correct?

I have a feeling a lot of FA-10s will be filled out over the next few days with a transaction date of 7-19-16

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Yes it is thanks to the need to register the sale electronically. No backdating possible.
The AGs manifesto says private sales of pre 7/20 guns is allowed. I am not using the term "legal" since this issue is not what is legal, but what the AG chooses to permit.

The AGs manifesto says private sales of pre 7/20 guns is allowed. I am not using the term "legal" since this issue is not what is legal, but what the AG chooses to permit.

Exactly.

Application of this Enforcement Notice (dealers licensed under G.L. c. 140, § 122):
The Guidance will not be applied to future possession, ownership or transfer of Assault weapons by dealers, provided that the dealer has written evidence that the weapons were transferred to the dealer in the Commonwealth prior to July 20, 2016, and provided further that a transfer made after July 20, 2016, if any, is made to persons or businesses in states where such weapons are legal.

Application of this Enforcement Notice (individual gun owners):
The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016.

The AGO reserves the right to alter or amend this guidance.

Last line emphasis added. This is what the AG has decided to allow. For now.

That last paragraph is confusing. Does that mean if you bought one prior to 7/20 you are free to transfer(sell) it to someone else after 7/20? Or that if you owned, possessed or transferred an AR prior to 7/20 you won't be prosecuted?

You have 7 days to do an FA-10 correct? And one of the fields you fill out is the date of transaction correct?

I have a feeling a lot of FA-10s will be filled out over the next few days with a transaction date of 7-19-16

What about unfinished lowers?

What's the incentive to register since the firearm is illegal either way?

why give them a shining beacon for when they decide to confiscate?

Last edited:
Thats incorrect information. Transfers are not allowed per this:

The sale, transfer, or possession of an “Assault weapon,” as defined in Section 121, is unlawfulpursuant to G.L. c. 140, §§ 128 and 131M.

It also states:

Application of this Enforcement Notice (individual gun owners):The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weaponobtained prior to July 20, 2016.

I spoke to the AG's office. I asked if a private citizen could still sell or transfer a semi auto rifle. They first told me that if I didn't want to keep the rifle any longer, I could "turn it in" to a police dept or local "buy back program". I again asked if the sale or transfer of a privately owned semi auto rifle from one citizen to another citizen was legal. They then said and I quote " If the rifle was acquired before 7/20/2016, it can sold and/or transferred from citizen to citizen." they then directed me to the questions and answers page on AGO website, which stated the following.

Q: What if I already own a gun that is a copy or duplicate?

If a weapon is a copy or duplicate of one of the models enumerated in the law, it is an Assault weapon. But, as a matter of her discretion as a prosecutor, the Attorney General will not enforce the assault weapons ban against those who possess or transfer a copy or duplicate of a listed Assault weapon, if the weapon was obtained prior to July 20, 2016, when she issued the guidance.
The AGO also will not enforce the law against a gun dealer that possesses or transfers a “copy or duplicate” weapon that was obtained prior to July 20, 2016, provided that transfers, if any, are made to persons or businesses in states where ownership of the weapon is legal.

The AGO also will not enforce the law against a gun dealer that possesses or transfers a “copy or duplicate” weapon that was obtained prior to July 20, 2016, provided that transfers,
"Not enforce the law against a gun dealer" - WTF? Under MGL, MA Licensed dealers are exempt from the AW ban, so there is no law to not enforce against a dealer.

Back
Top Bottom