• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How Do You Carry ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Condition 1, cocked and locked. For a gun that doesn't lock, I carry in the condition such that all I have to do is pull the trigger.

Interestingly, if the gun isn't in a holster, and is instead on a nightstand (or a safe) or the like, I usually don't have a loaded chamber, as I haven't learned to trust my sear points. When in a holster, the gun is always pointed in a safe direction, so this mental hiccup doesn't matter.

I don't carry that often, but if I do it's a P99 with one in the pipe, de-cocked in DA.

We should set up some force on force scenarios. It will be, shall we say, interesting......

I don't think thats a good idea...

Lets be honest with ourselves, seriously. Jose, your daily alpha male domination over NES already has most of us to scared to even consider trying to beat you in any sort of force on force scenarios. You're just to badass to compete aganst, bro.

stay alert - stay alive - be prepared - train as you fight (especially for those with ESP)

[devil2]

one in the pipe at all times....

I don't think thats a good idea...

Lets be honest with ourselves, seriously. Jose, your daily alpha male domination over NES already has most of us to scared to even consider trying to beat you in any sort of force on force scenarios. You're just to badass to compete aganst, bro.

Force on force is not a competition. It's sparring. A way to try out ideas and see what works or what doesn't.

If you take that as a personal challenge, it's your problem not mine.

Personally, 50/50 for me. Bad areas, i'll chamber one.... good areas, back in the magazine. Not every safety is failproof, not every round of ammunition is manufactured flawless.
I trust nothing except a slight measure of caution and restraint...... and if it costs me one day, so be it. I can live with the choices i make. If your caught in a situation where you wouldn't have time to rack the slide, chances are you probably wouldn't have the time to draw either.
But this IS just Ink's humble opinion ^.^

I'm not necessarily criticizing you, but I would like to point out something. With having multiple routines for different areas, you run the risk of forgetting which condition you are in day to day. I'm sure you probably check your gun and it's "condition" everyday so it's not too big a deal. I just think that it'd be better to have a policy of having one routine for every situation.

Personally, I carry either a Glock or a snubbie chambered and I am always highly aware that I do so.

I carry loaded and ready.. If not, you might as well throw your gun at the bad guy...just my opinion of course.

One in the chamber, decocked for a DA first shot; and I practice shooting it that way to account for the difference in DA and SA trigger pulls.

Is it just me or does anyone else check the chamber and drop the mag just to check if it's full everytime they set the weapon down? Even if it's overnight in the nightstand I always have to check the chamber and drop the mag. Idk why I started but I think it's a good practice. (sorry for the minor thread hijack).

Is it just me or does anyone else check the chamber and drop the mag just to check if it's full everytime they set the weapon down? Even if it's overnight in the nightstand I always have to check the chamber and drop the mag. Idk why I started but I think it's a good practice. (sorry for the minor thread hijack).

You're not alone. I do a chamber and mag check every time I pick up a semi. Every time I pick up a wheelgun I pop the cylinder to make sure it is ready.

IWB and one in the chamber.

BTW... I heard the same thing about static electricity. So you shouldn't be, smoking a cigarette, talking a cellphone, carrying a gun, and pumping gas all at the same time. Asking for trouble! [smile]

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not alone. Just skmethig compels me to check. Even I the gun has only been out of my sight for a short period. Just paranoid I suppose haha

PCI's / PCC's [smile]

i always peek in the LCI... i go farther and rotate carry ammo every 3 to 4 months... [wink]

Walther PPK in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster (my normal carry gun)? One in the pipe de-cocked, safety on. I carry my Glock 19 with a clip draw, so one in the pipe is not advisable, especially with a lighter connector bar in there.

I check every time I set one down and every time I pick one up, even my own carry, even if it's only for a minute. Every time. Habit I guess.

Any of the following:

IWB Glock 22 or M&P 40 or M&P 9c, Sometimes the aforementioned in a SERPA with oversize reinforced shirt. Occasionally, pocket holster with cargo pants. Always one in the pipe and a topped off mag.

CSIII asked, "Why would just the round in the chamber discharge?"

Never said it was the only one, but without the round being in the chamber, they just blow up and don't go down the pipe. Detonate one to six in a wheel gun and it's nasty but only one goes out with a lot of force.

oneswithfunes asked, "What is your location? How can you prove this? Precedent? or Interpretation?"

MA law under vehicle carry. As long as the shotgun is a non-high capacity, and you have a high cap license and it's under your direct control. There is no specific law for less than high cap rifle or shotgun. All other firearms are legal including high cap handguns. Note section (a) and (b) refer to, "firearm" and (c) to, "large capacity rifle or shotgun" only.

You will fall afoul of other laws, especially if you ever discharge it. Possession of a loaded shotgun in a car is also problematical when you take into account hunting regs. But the loophole is still there.

Chapter 140: Section 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

Jose said, "Probably one of most ridiculous arguments I have seen in a looooong time."

So be it. To each his own.

Jose said, "I'll go you one better old man. I carry a pistol that does NOT have a thumb safety in condition one all day every day."

Fine. I carry a P-14 with 2 extra mags in condition 1 when I feel the need. I don't need that shoulder rig and set to condition 1 when I'm in my easy chair. So Con 1 is not always a necessity.

K-DUB said, "So I guess I'm an unthinking, careless a-hole for carrying a 1911 cocked & locked for all these years."

I don't believe I used any term close to that. As I have said, I carry in condition 1 when I feel the need. If that is a real 1911 you carry, just make sure you know where the muzzle is pointed if you ever drop more than 10 feet.

Ink said: "Personally, 50/50 for me. Bad areas, i'll chamber one.... good areas, back in the magazine. Not every safety is failproof, not every round of ammunition is manufactured flawless."

Ahh... a voice of reason. Make the choice as you see fit.

Jose said, "You're not alone. I do a chamber and mag check every time I pick up a semi."

I do it to all firearms I pick up.

CRSIII asked, "I still want to know how the one in the pipe is the only one going off?"

The one instance I am aware of when the chambered round was the only one to go off was static electricity. Cocked and locked 1911A1, 15 degree day, clear and little humidity, the driver was sliding into his seat and the gun fired. It chewed the safety up and damaged the slide. Bullet went into the ground after passing through the seat and floor.

MA law under vehicle carry. As long as the shotgun is a non-high capacity, and you have a high cap license and it's under your direct control. There is no specific law for less than high cap rifle or shotgun. All other firearms are legal including high cap handguns. Note section (a) and (b) refer to, "firearm" and (c) to, "large capacity rifle or shotgun" only.

You will fall afoul of other laws, especially if you ever discharge it. Possession of a loaded shotgun in a car is also problematical when you take into account hunting regs. But the loophole is still there.

Chapter 140: Section 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

Makes sense to me. On the other hand I can't remember reading any thing in the mgl that would specifically prohibit me from walking around town with a slung shot gun either. I am no expert on the law but I think my local pd would have a problem with that.

Jose said, "I'll go you one better old man. I carry a pistol that does NOT have a thumb safety in condition one all day every day."

Fine. I carry a P-14 with 2 extra mags in condition 1 when I feel the need. I don't need that shoulder rig and set to condition 1 when I'm in my easy chair. So Con 1 is not always a necessity.

Personally when I carry there is always one in the chamber. I wouldn't suggest carrying chambered some of the time and not chambered other times. It's a disaster waiting to happen: Pick one and stick with it. I also suggest you get plenty of practice drawing and racking the slide.

Personally when I carry there is always one in the chamber. I wouldn't suggest carrying chambered some of the time and not chambered other times. It's a disaster waiting to happen: Pick one and stick with it. I also suggest you get plenty of practice drawing and racking the slide.

This is actually a really good point that may get lost. Pick a condition and stick with it.

This isn't just internet-commando talking. A few months ago, there was an IDPA match where a gun started on a table loaded, but without a round in the chamber. The first shooter in our squad was a newer shooter, and went the buzzer when off, he picked up the gun, aimed, and pulled the trigger with a loud "click".

Then, a few minutes later, a Master-level shooter did exactly the same thing.

Then, a few minutes later, even after watching two other shooters do this, I did it too.

If we can brain-fart that badly under just a little time pressure, imagine how many mistakes you might make in a real emergency?

Makes sense to me. On the other hand I can't remember reading any thing in the mgl that would specifically prohibit me from walking around town with a slung shot gun either. I am no expert on the law but I think my local pd would have a problem with that.

Just in case you want to try it out, here is the law you "can't remember reading"

CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE
Chapter 269: Section 12D. Rifle or shotgun loaded with shells or cartridges; unloaded rifle or shotgun; carrying on public way prohibited; exceptions; punishment

(b) Except as exempted or provided by law, no person shall carry on his person on any public way an unloaded rifle or shotgun, unless such rifle or shotgun is enclosed in a case.

1911 cocked and locked IWB or 38 special on the ankle.

I practice draw with the 1911 by drawing, clicking off safety, sight picture, click (two hands)
I practice draw with the 38 special off the ankle 1 handed, so I dont put my support hand digits in the way of the muzzle flash.

Even though I have 2 different carry weapons, I have 2 totally different draws so hopefully I wont confuse the two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom