How do you transfer this......if at all?

So I want a MP5k, and figure this might be an option to start in that quest. I was figuring I could buy this, and then slowly buy the parts to build a full SBR MP5K.

So my question is, being that this is the registered part of the firearm, how does something like this transfer? It's not a rifle, it's not a pistol, so what the hell do you do?

As far as I'm aware it falls under a Sub machine pistol or something like that it still needs a SBR tax but it is not considered a rifle I asked that question a few weeks ago and was told that.

If this was manufactured by the same "Special Weapons"/"Speshul Wepunz"/Todd Bailey I'm thinking of, I'd do a little homework first before sinking $975.00 in to it.

Whys that? I'm not really saying i'd buy that particular one, I've seen some other ones around for similar prices however.

Whys that? I'm not really saying i'd buy that particular one, I've seen some other ones around for similar prices however.

That's the one you linked to.

If there are other manufacturers out there, I'm not familiar with them.

Todd Bailey/Special Weapons is a bit of a gun forum legend (in a not so good way).

Just trying to give you a heads-up (and possibly spare you some expensive anguish, buyers remorse and frustration).

That's the one you linked to.

If there are other manufacturers out there, I'm not familiar with them.

Todd Bailey/Special Weapons is a bit of a gun forum legend (in a not so good way).

Just trying to give you a heads-up (and possibly spare you some expensive anguish, buyers remorse and frustration).

No I know its the one I linked, but im asking whats wrong with the special weapons stuff. I had heard its some of the better HK clone stuff out there. no?

If this was manufactured by the same "Special Weapons"/"Speshul Wepunz"/Todd Bailey I'm thinking of, I'd do a little homework first before sinking $975.00 in to it.

Here's a tease...

Arizona Response Systems, LLC. Notes. HK. Review: Special Weapons SW-5.

The grinding of the carrier, mag catch, and cocking handle are understandable complaints (the carrier grinding is disgusting).... but knocking on the FCG welds? Paint finish? Really?

ARS is high on the horse because "gunplumber" is an arrogant builder. He does GREAT work, but he's essentially knocking on some things that are inevitable with parts builds.

I've had him and "valleyrat" ride my balls on a build I've posted online which was done with minimal tools. Since I didn't do things with the proper equipment but made do with much less, I obviously had done things horribly wrong, and was a disservice for hobby gunsmiths because I was showing them how to do things "incorrectly." It was very annoying and unpleasant to say the least. While he's a great builder and offers great advice, sometimes he needs to go **** himself.

Last edited:
The grinding of the carrier, mag catch, and cocking handle are understandable complaints (the carrier grinding is disgusting).... but knocking on the FCG welds? Paint finish? Really?

ARS is high on the horse because "gunplumber" is an arrogant builder. He does GREAT work, but he's essentially knocking on some things that are inevitable with parts builds.

I've had him and "valleyrat" ride my balls on a build I've posted online which was done with minimal tools. Since I didn't do things with the proper equipment but made do with much less, I obviously had done things horribly wrong, and was a disservice for hobby gunsmiths because I was showing them how to do things "incorrectly." It was very annoying and unpleasant to say the least. While he's a great builder and offers great advice, sometimes he needs to go **** himself.

All in all, that was some seriously disgusting work! wow. Maybe I outta just bit the bullet and the sp89 route converted [laugh]

I've never seen or handled any of SW's products, for that matter I've never handled any Lorcins, Ravens, or Hesses either.

But, when enough people constantly write that a product is a piece of shit, and the person manufacturing the product is an even bigger piece of shit, I'd seriously reconsider whom I was dealing with (FWIW... Bailey, in the past, has been known to file lawsuits against people for bad mouthing his "products).

I had heard its some of the better HK clone stuff out there. no?

It's possible... maybe

Although it's more possible Bailey wrote those glowing reviews himself.

- Google Search

Hey... it's your $$$$, do as you please with it.

I've never seen or handled any of SW's products, for that matter I've never handled any Lorcins, Ravens, or Hesses either.

But, when enough people constantly write that a product is a piece of shit, and the person manufacturing the product is an even bigger piece of shit, I'd seriously reconsider whom I was dealing with (FWIW... Bailey, in the past, has been known to file lawsuits against people for bad mouthing his "products).

It's possible... maybe

Although it's more possible Bailey wrote those glowing reviews himself.

- Google Search

I appreciate the heads up. I'll admit, I know very little about a lot of gun stuff, so NES is my go to!

unfortunately for me, Special Weapons is the only HK33/93/91 flat in town.

Granted there were Hesse and Century flats that have existed, but as far as HK flats goes, it's largely reported that Bailey's flats are "as good as you can get" stateside as he uses good tooling.

so he'll be getting some of my money one way or another through Nicole Zabek

So my question is, being that this is the registered part of the firearm, how does something like this transfer? It's not a rifle, it's not a pistol, so what the hell do you do?
If it never had a barrel, it'd be Other. Since this has a barrel under 18" and no stock or vertical forward grip, I believe you can transfer it as a Handgun for now.

If it never had a barrel, it'd be Other. Since this has a barrel under 18" and no stock or vertical forward grip, I believe you can transfer it as a Handgun for now.

Bingo. A bare stripped receiver that has never been built into a firearm is a OTHER. Once it has a handgun barrel in it is a handgun. If it had a 16" or longer barrel and NO stock it could be a rifle OR pistol.

Bingo. A bare stripped receiver that has never been built into a firearm is a OTHER. Once it has a handgun barrel in it is a handgun. If it had a 16" or longer barrel and NO stock it could be a rifle OR pistol.

So doing a little more digging, I came across this: Web Store

Would this be something I could obtain through a shop here in MA, or would they not touch it with a ten foot pole?

says it's "Manufactured as TPM P5 pistols" so I wouldn't expect to find any FFL in Mass to transfer it.

****in motha ****. This is gonna kill me. All I want is a Godamned SBR'ed MP5k, what the christ, I hate this godamned stupid ass bitch tittin rotten dildo state. [angry2][angry2][angry2]

- - - Updated - - -

****in motha ****. This is gonna kill me. All I want is a Godamned SBR'ed MP5k, what the christ, I hate this godamned stupid ass bitch tittin rotten dildo state. [angry2][angry2][angry2]

I don't understand how something that can be assembled into anything can be considered a pistol. Am I missing something, or couldnt one buy that receiver, then a MP5 parts kit with a full length barrel, and just have a rifle? It's like an AR lower, no? I mean sure I could make a pistol out of it, but I could also make a rifle, what the christ is the difference here????

Fwiw.. I have never been a huge fan of S&W stuff. I actually liked those Turkish ones quite abut more.

But that said, the easiest way to get one may be to buy it either as an AOW or an sbr and transfer it in. Not sure how else to do it.

But, that said, I would urge you to go for an mp5 sbr over the K sbr. I have had both. And had several people try both, and the consensus was always in favor of the 5.

And whatever you're going to do, those mags are not cheap. Grab them now. And the paki ones absolutely suck. Ymmv.

Last edited:
Fwiw.. I have never been a huge fan of S&W stuff. I actually liked those Turkish ones quite abut more.

But that said, the easiest way to get one may be to buy it either as an AOW or an sbr and transfer it in. Not sure how else to do it.

But, that said, I would urge you to go for an mp5 sbr over the K sbr. I have had both. And had several people try both, and the consensus was always in favor of the 5.

So, I was just reading, are the Turkish made MKE pistols completely 100% illegal to even own in this state, or do they fall into that, "a dealer cant transfer, but you can own" territory?

With regards to MP5 SBR, you mean this right?
lg_mp5.jpg

As opposed to one of these, MP5K:
hkmp5k.jpg

Honestly, I'd love one of each [laugh] but right now I have my heart set on the latter of the two. Other than barrel length and the stock style, what are the differences that make one a better shooting gun than the other?

So, I was just reading, are the Turkish made MKE pistols completely 100% illegal to even own in this state, or do they fall into that, "a dealer cant transfer, but you can own" territory?

With regards to MP5 SBR, you mean this right?
lg_mp5.jpg

As opposed to one of these, MP5K:
hkmp5k.jpg

Honestly, I'd love one of each [laugh] but right now I have my heart set on the latter of the two. Other than barrel length and the stock style, what are the differences that make one a better shooting gun than the other?

Or this
URL=http://s286.photobucket.com/user/mp40smg/media/100_1257_zps19e839d5.jpg.html]
100_1257_zps19e839d5.jpg
[/URL]

The 5 just does everything better. And there are more options. You can put a k grip and a folder onto a 5, you can d a fixed, telescoping, folding stock or a cap on to turn it into a pistol. You could wide, thin or k grips. It is just @ 2" longer bbl and maybe another 1" longer receiver.

If you put a sear in the k is faster. And because its lighter it tends to be more jumpy and squirrelly..

Last edited:
FWIW, I had a Bobcat and that worked great. But then I just had to get a HK 94 because it was German. I had like six preban made in Germany magazines then sold it all. The HK94 alone was like $6k. It's a lot of f'n money for a 9 mm rifle. To me the modern red dots look funny on the. As as SBR it would be better but I know then I'd want it full auto. Then at full auto, who could afford--or find--the ammo for that. This HK thing is like a disease, the quest for German perfection I guess.

Back
Top Bottom