• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How is Harvard MA?

quinnjalan

NES Member
We are in the process of moving/downsizing and will most likely end up in Harvard MA (new Emerson Green townhomes on Devens). According to Devens Development and the realtor the homes are located in Harvard MA. So, how’s the chief of Police in Harvard. Currently we are in Groton MA and I have an FFL07 in Littleton which are both great towns for all things 2A. So before we go down this road I figure it’s good to know.

The current chief issues for ALPs. I got a same day appointment when I applied several years ago.

The current chief issues for ALPs.
chief denmark, i believe that's his name, seems to enjoy a good relationship with everyone, except bad guys, and makes a valiant attempt to do things correctly regarding 2a issues. i don't live there but know a few who do and know people who know his family. I've never met him myself.

Does harvard issue licenses for devens? Harvard police do not police in devens. The state police cover devens under contract. Devens is a funny place where you dont pay taxes, but use fees to devens development (previously mass land bank). School kids are sent to school under negotiated contracts. They have their own fire dept and ambulance. I would double check on the assumption that Harvard issues the LTC. Yes, most of the housing in Devens is within the traditional boundaries of the town of Harvard, but beyond that, there is little interaction with Harvard.

They are operating under a re-use plan that was put into place in 1994. There are 40 years to determine final disposition of the Devens lands. The most recent attempt at final disposition was a new town of Devens with some lands going to the 4 towns (Ayer, Harvard, Lancaster and Shirley). That got voted down.

You would be moving to a disenfranchised location.

chief denmark, i believe that's his name, seems to enjoy a good relationship with everyone, except bad guys, and makes a valiant attempt to do things correctly regarding 2a issues. i don't live there but know a few who do and know people who know his family. I've never met him myself.
The Chief is Ed Denmark. All around good guy (I should know, I led the search committee that hired him :)). Pat Natoli does the administrative activities related to licensing. She is great. She is a former dispatcher. She is also a competitive shooter and coach. Everything about licensing in Harvard is good.

Does harvard issue licenses for devens? Harvard police do not police in devens. The state police cover devens under contract. Devens is a funny place where you dont pay taxes, but use fees to devens development (previously mass land bank). School kids are sent to school under negotiated contracts. They have their own fire dept and ambulance. I would double check on the assumption that Harvard issues the LTC. Yes, most of the housing in Devens is within the traditional boundaries of the town of Harvard, but beyond that, there is little interaction with Harvard.

They are operating under a re-use plan that was put into place in 1994. There are 40 years to determine final disposition of the Devens lands. The most recent attempt at final disposition was a new town of Devens with some lands going to the 4 towns (Ayer, Harvard, Lancaster and Shirley). That got voted down.

You would be moving to a disenfranchised location.
Good point. The state trooper have a station over there. I’m just going to drop in and ask. We are a ways off buying.

I’d double check that you are actually in Harvard as the kids from Devens go to school in Harvard under contract with the town. It’s possible (I’m not saying this is the case but it’s possible) that the real estate agent could interpret Harvard schools as being in the town.

Second there is some “risk” in the future that Devens chooses to contract with another town for schools (the Ayer/Shirley schools aren’t as good, for example). Also the risk that Devens decides to become its own town and to run its own schools which could mean having to pay to construct them, and whatever other facilities a stand alone town might need.

Last I’d ask some questions about the environmental status of the building site. Some of Devens is pretty polluted and there is un-exploded ordnance that turns up from time to time.

None of these things would necessarily deter me but I’d go in eyes open. Harvard is a nice town based on everything I know.

Do you have a business in Littleton? If so you always have that as a back up. You are allowed to apply in a town where you own a business.

Sounds like Harvard won't be an issue. Good luck with house hunting.

I’d double check that you are actually in Harvard as the kids from Devens go to school in Harvard under contract with the town. It’s possible (I’m not saying this is the case but it’s possible) that the real estate agent could interpret Harvard schools as being in the town.

Second there is some “risk” in the future that Devens chooses to contract with another town for schools (the Ayer/Shirley schools aren’t as good, for example). Also the risk that Devens decides to become its own town and to run its own schools which could mean having to pay to construct them, and whatever other facilities a stand alone town might need.

Last I’d ask some questions about the environmental status of the building site. Some of Devens is pretty polluted and there is un-exploded ordnance that turns up from time to time.

None of these things would necessarily deter me but I’d go in eyes open. Harvard is a nice town based on everything I know.

We triple checked on the schools and its Harvard. The rule is once you get in you are in till kids graduate. Right now its not an issue (only that I'm going broke) as both kids are in private schools. But the little one will most likely transition to Harvard.

Like I mentioned above we pay taxes for schools now and don't use them and all we need is 4 - 6 years in the Harvard system and we'll be done. At that point we will either go back paying for something we don't use or pack it all in any buy an RV.

We have friends on Chance Street who paid for two independent environmental studies on the soil in the area and all came back good. I agree that I would not want to go digging in the old dump or the former tank training site, who knows what you might find! We also checked in on the wells and Devens Development keeps a close eye on them. In fact one was closed last year as they found something. We may end up putting in a filter system as Harvard in general is know for radon......but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

We are definitely proceeding with caution and making sure all is well.

Do you have a business in Littleton? If so you always have that as a back up. You are allowed to apply in a town where you own a business.

Sounds like Harvard won't be an issue. Good luck with house hunting.

Business is a relative term, my FFL is in Littleton but that's it. I would have to file some paperwork but that's easy after going thru the FFL paperwork!

The Chief is Ed Denmark. All around good guy (I should know, I led the search committee that hired him :)). Pat Natoli does the administrative activities related to licensing. She is great. She is a former dispatcher. She is also a competitive shooter and coach. Everything about licensing in Harvard is good.
I'm going to make it a point to avoid driving through Harvard. The reason being, the guy that picked the police chief is named Crackpot.

Shaker > Redtail. Actually, go play redtail so shaker does not get too crowded. Shaker is in better shape and costs less.

I've played both. I play in a league at work at Redtail. $350 for approximately 20 weeks plus tournament (obviously company subsidized). Can't beat that.

Back
Top Bottom