How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Same here, mine didn't even take a month. It's all about who your Chief is, surprisingly the state isn't the hold up here.

To give you an idea how easy it is out here, I didn't even talk to a police officer during my "interview", just a secretary. I called and said I'd like to apply for my LTC, "Sure when can you come in", tomorrow at 9 sound good? "Okay see you then". Walk in with my application, watch as she types it into the computer, she takes my fingerprints and picture, I pay my $100 and leave. 19 days later it shows up in the mail.

Wow that us unbelievable!! This post was from 6 years ago and people like myself are still waiting for theirs after 120 days!! Haha maybe you will see this somehow and respond?

Went to Westhampton PD on 6/13/2018...

Still nothing on 8/15/2018...

I called my PD (Westhampton, MA PD is a great department and easy to deal with)… They called me back and said they called Boston and were told that the new one was "being printed"... So it's now 8/18/2018 and I don't have it...

Now here's the kicker, mine expires today, 8/18/2018... The officer (who I know well so he has no reason to lie) said to just keep a copy of the DCJIS Receipt on me and that everything would be OK... I even asked if I decided to go buy a gun on Monday (20th) all I would need is that receipt and I could buy it... He said yes I could... I almost want to try it and see if I can, I do have a gun to trade for a new one so I might...

On the bottom of the receipt it does say:

Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014, sections 36 and 54 respectively, creates an indefinite grace period for FID card and LTC licensees who submit a renewal application to their licensing authority prior to the expiration of their current license. The current card/license will remain valid after the expiration date of the card/license until the application for renewal is either approved or denied.

WOW that's a mouth full...

I'm not up on the laws, the last time I renewed they had 40 days to respond (if I remember correctly), I guess that not the case anymore according to this receipt...

Hopefully I'll have the new permit soon so I don't have to deal with this receipt anymore...

Still nothing on 8/15/2018...

I called my PD (Westhampton, MA PD is a great department and easy to deal with)… They called me back and said they called Boston and were told that the new one was "being printed"... So it's now 8/18/2018 and I don't have it...

Now here's the kicker, mine expires today, 8/18/2018... The officer (who I know well so he has no reason to lie) said to just keep a copy of the DCJIS Receipt on me and that everything would be OK... I even asked if I decided to go buy a gun on Monday (20th) all I would need is that receipt and I could buy it... He said yes I could... I almost want to try it and see if I can, I do have a gun to trade for a new one so I might...

On the bottom of the receipt it does say:

Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014, sections 36 and 54 respectively, creates an indefinite grace period for FID card and LTC licensees who submit a renewal application to their licensing authority prior to the expiration of their current license. The current card/license will remain valid after the expiration date of the card/license until the application for renewal is either approved or denied.

WOW that's a mouth full...

I'm not up on the laws, the last time I renewed they had 40 days to respond (if I remember correctly), I guess that not the case anymore according to this receipt...

Hopefully I'll have the new permit soon so I don't have to deal with this receipt anymore...

You need that receipt AND your expired LTC/PIN number to do any transactions and to carry legally (assuming no restrictions).

Ok so just called the FRB and a very nice lady on the phone told me that it was issued on the 15th. and mailed back to the PD where it’s pending activation? So does this meen that the PD have to click activate and issue pin then mail out right?? Im so close!!!

Ok so just called the FRB and a very nice lady on the phone told me that it was issued on the 15th. and mailed back to the PD where it’s pending activation? So does this meen that the PD have to click activate and issue pin then mail out right?? Im so close!!!
Yes.

Whats the latest on this? Have you received?

You need that receipt AND your expired LTC/PIN number to do any transactions and to carry legally (assuming no restrictions).

Thanks Len

Ya I carry my pin with me, I think it's on that receipt also, or at least I think I saw it...

No restrictions, Wton is Gr8, he gives everyone a A with no restrictions as far as I know and from what I've seen...

Still waiting though, 1 Sept 2018 and no new LTC yet!!! Expired on 18 Aug 2018...

I bet the state is doing this to be a PITA!!!
They didn't like the 40 Day Ruling so they changed it and now they can be PITA's getting you your card again!!!
Carrying that receipt is a PITA to carry in my wallet compared to a card size ID...

Thanks Len

Ya I carry my pin with me, I think it's on that receipt also, or at least I think I saw it...

No restrictions, Wton is Gr8, he gives everyone a A with no restrictions as far as I know and from what I've seen...

Still waiting though, 1 Sept 2018 and no new LTC yet!!! Expired on 18 Aug 2018...

I bet the state is doing this to be a PITA!!!
They didn't like the 40 Day Ruling so they changed it and now they can be PITA's getting you your card again!!!
Carrying that receipt is a PITA to carry in my wallet compared to a card size ID...

I photo reduced mine (as well as my LEOSA Cert) to be wallet-sized and that is what I carried/carry.

Anyone renewed recently in Franklin? I heard that they have a new chief.

I know someone who has had no restrictions. Should they expect the same? Answer the question “all lawful purposes” on the application?

Submitted my paperwork in Northbridge for renewal last night. Took me longer to write the check than it took to do the "interview". Less then 5 minutes including photo. Northbridge PD is great! I will report back when I receive permit. I know Northbridge PD does not sit on them, but the state..........

FINALLY Got my LTC!!!

Still nothing into October 2018...

I was waiting till my Birthday on 8/18/2018 and I still don't have it... Than I called my PD (Westhampton, MA PD is a great department and easy to deal with)… They called me back and said they called Boston and were told that the new one was "being printed"...

Now remember, mine expired on 8/18/2018 and we are now into October and NOTHING...
Saturday morning, Oct 6th I decided I was going to call Boston on Monday to try and find out what's going on!!!

Saturday around 4 PM I get a knock on the door, it's one of the Wton PD Leo's...

It's Finely here!!!

Almost 4 months after I applied for my LTC Renewal!!!
49 DAYS (Close to 2 months) after my LTC had EXPIRED!!!

I have my new LTC!!!

Westhampton PD was great through the whole ordeal and very helpful...

He told me they had no idea why the CommyWealth had taken so long to get them done... He actually had a thick stack of them in his hand and was bringing them to the other folks that had been waiting all this time for theirs as well...

It doesn't matter if the LEO kissed you on the cheek and gave you tea when he delivered your LTC. The state is not the holdup. If it were everyone posting would be experiencing the same delays.

You could have simply called their number and the state would have told you clearly what the status of your renewal was.

It has been said many times this is a very low priority(as in there is no downside for ignoring) function for PD"s who are for the most part understaffed and lazy.
Many departments get to it only when they must. If you are getting slow service take LenS advice and call the chief or a council member. Make a little noise politely but enough to cause movement on their end. It works.

David, I spoke with Michaela Dunne (FRB Director) last week and she told me that there is no significant delay in her office.

Thanks for checking Len...

It doesn't matter if the LEO kissed you on the cheek and gave you tea when he delivered your LTC. The state is not the holdup. If it were everyone posting would be experiencing the same delays.

You could have simply called their number and the state would have told you clearly what the status of your renewal was.

It has been said many times this is a very low priority(as in there is no downside for ignoring) function for PD"s who are for the most part understaffed and lazy.
Many departments get to it only when they must. If you are getting slow service take LenS advice and call the chief or a council member. Make a little noise politely but enough to cause movement on their end. It works.

I really don't think it was my local PD, we live in a very small town and we only have a few officers and the Chief, they are all friends of mine and wouldn't play games with me... I tend to believe them when they say that they haven't got them back yet... I was calling and each time I did they said they didn't have them back from the state yet...

The state may have been "holding" a batch of them for our town to send out as "one batch", I don't know... My PD has one day a month that you can go in and do your renewals or get a new permit... With that system we tend to get as I said batch's of renewals/new permits... Our Chief is great as far as permits also, I don't think he even does FID's, I think every thing he issues are LTC A No Restriction's... He is one Chief that is on the Gun Owners/2A side so I don't believe he would "hold up" any permits...

I still believe it is the state, they hated the 40 Day Law so they changed it to this new system so they can drag out the renewal/new permit system... Do I know that for a fact, NO, but I would believe my Chief before I'd believe the CommyWealth of MA...

My LTC is coming up for renewal in a year (expires in 9/19), which means I'll need to start the process in about 6 months if not a little sooner. I'm one of the lucky ones who have been issued an unrestricted LTC in Boston. Has anyone with a previously unrestricted LTC go through the renewal process in Boston recently? Did they downgrade you or did they allow you to keep your current unrestricted status? What did you put down as the reason for the request?

The last time I renewed in Boston, I figured I had nothing to lose and simply put down "Personal Protection" for the reason. Previously to that last renewal, I had an unrestricted LTC issued from Chelsea and figured they'd just downgrade me. Was really surprised that they didn't. Thx.

My LTC is coming up for renewal in a year (expires in 9/19), which means I'll need to start the process in about 6 months if not a little sooner. I'm one of the lucky ones who have been issued an unrestricted LTC in Boston. Has anyone with a previously unrestricted LTC go through the renewal process in Boston recently? Did they downgrade you or did they allow you to keep your current unrestricted status? What did you put down as the reason for the request?

The last time I renewed in Boston, I figured I had nothing to lose and simply put down "Personal Protection" for the reason. Previously to that last renewal, I had an unrestricted LTC issued from Chelsea and figured they'd just downgrade me. Was really surprised that they didn't. Thx.

The only town that has a reputation for downgrading, I believe, is Brookline. If you are already unrestricted, and especially because your unrestricted was issued by the same locality (Boston), you are probably going to keep the unrestricted status.

Not sure if I would put "Personal Protection" as the reason this time though.

Back
Top Bottom