How long should I wait?

I dropped off my application, paid my fees and had my picture taken for my CCP on Sept 2.
Maine state law says I should have been notified in writing within 30 days. Counting off the days on the calendar shows 49 actual days and 33 business days since I dropped off my info packet.
Is this too soon to call for an update?

If Maine law states 30 days and not specifically 30 business days then they're over by a good chunk. I know MA is notorious for having this happen in many cities as well. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that if they're running behind by a good margin (and 19 days is a pretty good margin for a 30 day base), just give them a polite call and inquire as to the status of your permit. The big no-nos would be being rude, bossy, or trying to recite the laws to them. Telling them that by law they only have 30 days to get back to you may well get you a "well, if you want an answer right now we can just deny it for you." type response.

Best of luck!

I just called and was told they are running "months" behind on processing applications.

Hopefully by Christmas time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom