• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long to you tumble your brass?

I used to literally just let them run overnight as a matter of course. Tumblers are so cheap worrying about the motor burning out is skinflint mode. They're cheap enough everyone
should have more than one.

-Mike
Shiney brass that glides through the dies is worth burning out a tumbler imo

I normally tumble for 1-2 hours. I forgot that I had started a batch yesterday afternoon and found the tumbler humming along this morning after 16 hours.
The media was dark green to almost black. Wont be re-using that. And man-o-man, what shiny brass. Makes me think I have not been tumbling near long enough!

I'm new at this - but I've been using 4 hours on a timer with "just fired" brass (walnut 3:1 mix / de-prime afterward).

Man - it makes the brass look almost brand "Hornady" new. :D

My question is when to replace it. I replaced after 24 hours tumbler use only because of the annoying increase of 'dust'. If anybody's got a better recommendation - I'm all ears.

How long I need to tumble to get the level of “clean” or “shine” I want on brass is determined by how dirty the media Is when I start. I use the ground shell Lizard bedding material from pet store. Inexpensive and works well so I change it whenever tumbling time increases. I almost always use strips of dryer sheets with polish on them. It both shines brass quicker and captures dust and dirt on dryer sheets. Less mess and media stays cleaner and last longer and shorter tumbling times needed. Win win win win

I tumble dirties in Walnut Lizard Litter with Frankford Armory brass polish. Used to do 4 hrs, now I just go 6hrs, 7 if theres a lot of dirty brass...
Sized/lubed in corn/Dillon polish for a half hour just to remove the lube...
Used dryer sheets in the walnut after it's been used a few times, helps with the dust.

I tumble dirties in Walnut Lizard Litter with Frankford Armory brass polish. Used to do 4 hrs, now I just go 6hrs, 7 if theres a lot of dirty brass...
Sized/lubed in corn/Dillon polish for a half hour just to remove the lube...
Used dryer sheets in the walnut after it's been used a few times, helps with the dust.
Edit to add-
I use one of those adjustable timers from Amazon for $9.95...will see about finding a link.

I'm new at this - but I've been using 4 hours on a timer with "just fired" brass (walnut 3:1 mix / de-prime afterward).

Man - it makes the brass look almost brand "Hornady" new. :D

My question is when to replace it. I replaced after 24 hours tumbler use only because of the annoying increase of 'dust'. If anybody's got a better recommendation - I'm all ears.
Definitely not after 24 hours. I change it out once the media looks really black and nasty. And takes a long time to get the brass clean. This takes some time to get to that point.

Definitely not after 24 hours. I change it out once the media looks really black and nasty. And takes a long time to get the brass clean. This takes some time to get to that point.
@andrew1220 Just wondering if media/case ratio plays into this. I suspect a lower ratio (more media) would last longer? Right now I'm using three parts media to one part cases.

I de-prime and wet tumble unless it is rifle brass. Dirty case mouth produces better accuracy it seems.
This - wet tumble without pins for 60-90 minutes then dry over a fan for about the same time.

For large quantities a 5 gallon bucket with hot water, dish soap and lemishine gets the brass plenty clean enough to keep your dies safe.

Back
Top Bottom