• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many don't even know they are felons?

A while back I was involved in a conversation at work about firearms, and the fact that I own an AR-15 came up in the discussion. A co-worker later asked me on the side if I would like a few free 30 round mags for my AR, he had just returned from Iraq and claimed he inadvertently kept them in his personal gear. My first reaction was "Sweet - Free Mags" but after the warm fuzzy feeling subsided, I realized that they are most likely post-ban if they were indeed issued in Iraq. So I asked the gentleman if they had dates on them and filled him in as to why I was asking. He told me he didn't know and that he had never heard of the ban on them. I told him that unless I was absolutely certain they could not be identified as post ban, I would get rid of them immediately. Any way, this story came up in conversation today, and it just has me wondering. How many soldiers bring back mags inadvertently or otherwise? And how many of them in Ban states realize they are committing a crime? I know that ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it, but I would feel bad if some poor kid got into trouble over something as trivial as this.
Thanks for allowing me to Rant/Vent, feel free to comment.

Isnt the burden of proof with the state in stating your magazines are not legal, pardoning that they do not have the LEO only stamp on them?

Isnt the burden of proof with the state in stating your magazines are not legal, pardoning that they do not have the LEO only stamp on them?

if he got them from the military, its going to say so on the mag. A LOT of people that have served over seas have 30 round mags still in their load bearing vests.

I know multiple people that still "use" their old FID's as well as a couple people who have moved here from other states and don't have any license at all. I have told some of them about the laws and none of them have done anything about it. Yeah the laws here are asinine but it doesn't mean they don't exists. But what do I know.[thinking]

A while back I was involved in a conversation at work about firearms, and the fact that I own an AR-15 came up in the discussion. A co-worker later asked me on the side if I would like a few free 30 round mags for my AR, he had just returned from Iraq and claimed he inadvertently kept them in his personal gear. My first reaction was "Sweet - Free Mags" but after the warm fuzzy feeling subsided, I realized that they are most likely post-ban if they were indeed issued in Iraq. So I asked the gentleman if they had dates on them and filled him in as to why I was asking. He told me he didn't know and that he had never heard of the ban on them. I told him that unless I was absolutely certain they could not be identified as post ban, I would get rid of them immediately. Any way, this story came up in conversation today, and it just has me wondering. How many soldiers bring back mags inadvertently or otherwise? And how many of them in Ban states realize they are committing a crime? I know that ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it, but I would feel bad if some poor kid got into trouble over something as trivial as this.
Thanks for allowing me to Rant/Vent, feel free to comment.

I know that when you go to many leadership schools, they tell you to bring 4 30 round mags with you, and you draw them from your unit.

Boltonguy and I encountered somebody at the range last weekend who proudly showed us his new 30 round mag. When boltonguy told him it was illegal, the guy stated, "No, it's ok, it's brand new, and the laws have been changed." When we assured him that no laws had been changed and it was in fact illegal, his reply was, "Ok, thanks for the advice..." but it was clear he just didn't care.

It is entirely possible that the magazines are old. I can tell you that the weapons that are here at Pope are Vietnam era lower receivers. They were converted to A2's back in 2003 and the 30 round mags were issued when they were still A1's. The military has millions of magazines in stock and sometimes the older ones do show up. It might be worth it to at least check them out.

It used to be that way federally. Basically there was a section of federal law which basically said LE/Government use marking was the determining factor WRT the legality of a mag, and any mag which does NOT have that marking, would be presumed to be "pre ban" if the owner made such an assertion.

Problem is when MA adopted the AWB, they really only adopted the definitions, and not the entire law. If they had, then we would be able to use that legal wallhack and nobody would care.

-Mike

Last edited:
If there are no dates on the MAGs, how will anyone know? I have mags from 1990 that have no date on the mag istelf. Aside from the sealed plastic bag that I got them in, there would be no proof of their date. This kind of worries me because it's one of those he-said she-said affairs. I obviously kept the plastic bag, but i doubt that would hold any weight.

If there are no dates on the MAGs, how will anyone know? I have mags from 1990 that have no date on the mag istelf. Aside from the sealed plastic bag that I got them in, there would be no proof of their date. This kind of worries me because it's one of those he-said she-said affairs. I obviously kept the plastic bag, but i doubt that would hold any weight.

I agree, but many/most mil issued mags have cage codes, lot numbers, and date codes stamped in them. For instance, the OKAY industries mags I have say 7-91 on the side. I've also seen a lot of new mags at free state gun shows that have a tiny manufacturing date stamped into them somewhere. Sometimes it's very deceptive- they look unmarked but then you find a tiny "2005" or whatever stamped in an oddball location.

On the other hand, I have like 7 USGI style mags that I got that have no markings on them whatsoever, not even on the floorplates. Although, honestly I didn't really even look at that, I just ripped them off and threw them in a parts box somewhere when I replaced them all with magpul ranger plates.

-Mike

I agree, but many/most mil issued mags have cage codes, lot numbers, and date codes stamped in them. For instance, the OKAY industries mags I have say 7-91 on the side. I've also seen a lot of new mags at free state gun shows that have a tiny manufacturing date stamped into them somewhere. Sometimes it's very deceptive- they look unmarked but then you find a tiny "2005" or whatever stamped in an oddball location.

On the other hand, I have like 7 USGI style mags that I got that have no markings on them whatsoever, not even on the floorplates. Although, honestly I didn't really even look at that, I just ripped them off and threw them in a parts box somewhere when I replaced them all with magpul ranger plates.

-Mike

All of my mags are USGI style w/ no markings as well.

How many out of state college students have a small can of pressurized hot pepper sauce without any license?

How many homes have granddad's old shotgun with no license or lock?

How many cartridge casings are rolling around in a drawer and nobody in the home has a license?

How many people drop off cars and trucks for repair with ammunition in them? I found a cartridge case under a seat shortly after the last car shoot. Wasn't a caliber I was shooting at the car shoot. Who knows how long it was in there.

Fact is I don't think many in society can go about life without violating some nuance of the law inadvertently.

there is a section of title 10, US Code that deals with military transporting firearms and possession of accessories like body armor, batons, riot gear, magazines....

it's pretty much cool unless you use the stuff to commit a crime. i'm paraphrasing (of course) - but I don't go around wearing my issued body armor or magazines either....

funny thing, i cracked a person over the head with a baton a few years ago... he was a known felon and gang member trespassing on my porch. i asked him politely to leave to which he replyed "f*** you" -

I didn't even know at the time that expandable baton's were illegal in MA until the police officer told me. but then again, he also said "your in the military so you get those issued "wink wink" your good.

The laws in this state are so screwed up, we're breaking something by breathing. Worried about pre-ban versus post ban magazine? What about 1,500,000 gun owners going down to 250,000 overnight. Do our anti-gun legislature think one and a quarter million gunowners turned in their firearms overnight? No. They're all still out there. But the way the laws are written, you are an instant crminal, especially if you don't know the "law" ie: batons, mace, stun guns, etc. We need alot of these laws repealed and future laws with twighlight time when they prove their worthlessness.

I've been told I have "balls made of brass"... i wonder how many years each one would get me [wink]

Does sleeping w/ a firearm near you make you a felon...of course, it has to be locked and totally inoperable, those thugs will just have to wait !!!

LOL, I like to read some of these laws...

i like the city ordnances like Chelsea and Lynn's "no machette" law. i didn't even know that until i was ordering a holster online...

however, i went into several local Walmart and Target stores and they have them in their stores......

i keep an ax in my trunk (long story)... i bet that's illegal in many cities as well.

i never realized how insane the laws are in MA until i moved back a few years ago... geez! can't even keep a nun-chuck these days!!!! but they sell them at the flea markets!

I came back from the 'box with a metric ass-load of mags including about a dozen Magpul P-mags. Several of my GI mags were old and undated and 2 were dates but still preban. The rest were LEO/GOV/MIL only. So there are some GI mags that are preban or unmarked but not that freguent. So check your buddys mags you might be in luck

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I gotta ask, what'ya mean bye this? Did the old FIDs "grandfather" you for something?

No, but they weren't supposed to expire. So when the new laws went into effect and they did expire, a lot of folks didn't realize it. Even to this day some people don't know the new laws and still think they're licensed by their old expired FIDs. That's what he meant be "operating under" them.

Depending on which one you got, the law may have been printed on the back.

It's interesting to read the conditions of revocation. Act of Legislature is NOT one of the conditions.

But that's all old news. Well, seemingly not to a great many because I still meet people who "just found out".

How many out of state college students have a small can of pressurized hot pepper sauce without any license?

I know several females who own and carry pepper spray without any kind of FID, LTC, etc. When I've tried to explain that it's a felony to even posess without a license and suggest the get the $25 restricted FID, the most common response I get is "Well yeah, I could do that but...I already have the pepper spray."

It's a stupid law, but $25 to avoid a felony case? Come on.

The females I'm referring to are all in-state residents, all eligable for it. Sorry for any confusion there.

Back
Top Bottom