How many flashlights/batteries is enough?

I seem to have my gun addiction under control, now I'm wanting lots of flashlights (and of course lots of batteries to go with them).

How many flashlights (and batteries) do folks feel is enough for a possible blackout?

My name is Dan and I am addicted to flashlights....

I have one in every bedroom, in the kitchen, near each door. I've got to pick up a couple for the basement and maybe one for the car.

Most of the flashlights I have take rechargeable batteries and I keep at least one spare for each. For my Fenix TK75, I have 4 spare sets. But that is 2600 lumens and will go through them quickly. My pocket light is the only one that uses disposable batteries but I keep few of these around since another flashlight is generally at hand.

I use the Nitecore digital charger. Each of them holds up to 4 batteries.

Just make sure you have some headlamps, i find those so much more useful than handhelds. Both for working or for power outages. My wife laughs at me though whenever I wear one.

I upgraded my lantern after the last power outtage to the Streamlight Siege (3xD) - it's so much brighter.

About 5. All with the same battery source
On Person at all times
Bedside for obvious reasons
Vehicle(s)
BOB
In safe
Spare

I forgot to add the "test units" do not count - I'm currently evaluating a replacement for the Four 7 units I can't get anymore

I use the craftsman C3 series of flashlights. They have a lot of battery size options, are rechargeable, and you can use the same battery for their other power tools.

Thanks for the input - now I think I can justify one or two more.

I have 3 small flashlights. I'm just feeling like that's not enough[smile]

I'm trying to limit my flashlights to AA (will accept both alkaline and lithium). Now I'm going to look into the Eneloops, too.

I carry a small flashlight with me all the time, so I don't need to worry about placing them all over the house in case the lights go out suddenly. However I do have one on the nightstand and a very bright modded mag lite on the kitchen counter in case I need to light up the yard.

The rest of the lights in the house are put away with my camping gear, but easily accessible if need be. I do carry a few extra lights, including a headlight in my truck though.

I keep a good stock of batteries on hand as well.

In a prolonged power outage I will use coleman lanterns rather than flashlights for general lighting. I keep a few gallons of fuel on hand.

Thanks for the input - now I think I can justify one or two more.

I have 3 small flashlights. I'm just feeling like that's not enough[smile]

I'm trying to limit my flashlights to AA (will accept both alkaline and lithium). Now I'm going to look into the Eneloops, too.

You may have found this already, but a lot of AA lights are not recommended for use with lithium batteries due to their higher voltage. Check the specs before buying.

Also, there are some great lights that use CR123 lithium batteries. They have a 10 year shelf life, great power density and are barely affected by cold temperatures. You can buy them for around $1.50 each or less if you buy 10 or more. I prefer these to rechargable for most applications.

Just make sure you have some headlamps, i find those so much more useful than handhelds. Both for working or for power outages. My wife laughs at me though whenever I wear one.

I think the headlamps are awesome for cleaning guns. Hands free and you get to really see detail and wear spots.

You may have found this already, but a lot of AA lights are not recommended for use with lithium batteries due to their higher voltage. Check the specs before buying.

Also, there are some great lights that use CR123 lithium batteries. They have a 10 year shelf life, great power density and are barely affected by cold temperatures. You can buy them for around $1.50 each or less if you buy 10 or more. I prefer these to rechargable for most applications.

+1 on CR123 batteries - I bought several Fenix lights when Midwest Blade had all those 35-40% discounts, but they've stopped doing that, and the lights are pricey without the discounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, I have three kids, so if anyone knows the keyboard strokes for the infinity symbol, go ahead and type that, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to my good flashlights, I have several packs of cheap LED, powered by triple A batteries. Kids, wife, grandkids. Five pack for $10, less on sale, with no name batteries that are surprisingly good. I have them all over the place. Hand them out like jelly beans. Keeps people away from my good ones.

The other GREAT thing I found is the Ryobi flashlights that use the same batteries as my cordless power tools. I mean I already have a bunch of the batteries and chargers for them. Lantern style to light up the room, flat bottom task light with swivel heads for elevation, so you can aim them at your work and be hands free. Regular price only $12 bucks IIRC

Candlepower Forums is a social site devoted to...flashlights. A CP member would say, enough lights and batteries to light up your yard 150 lumens for 72 hours straight.

I have two Shining Beam lights for EDC, one AA, one CR123A, another Shining Beam "outdoor light" that is a thrower, uses 18650 rechargeables, and a Surefire for backup. Plus a bunch of lights I collect because I think they are cool or useful. Or ultraviolet, or superwide flood, or wicked bright...

I also have a number of little coincell squeezers, I clip those onto the "key holder" loop in my range bag, backpack, camera bag, and so forth because it's DARK in there and there will always be a light. I shop battereies a t Battery Junction, if you spend $20 you get a little squeeze light.

Well, besides the dozen Surefires, if you include weapon mounted, I have 4 Fenix lights here and there around house, they take AA. Four head lamps, two are Black Diamond, I forget the other two. Three Black Diamond lanterns, four oil lanterns, with and extra gallon or so of oil.

Also a light on my keychain and one on a chain around my neck.

Batteries: I keep plenty of AA and AAA Energizers in the freezer in freezer Ziploc bags. I just used some that were 12 years old and they have performed like new ones. Freezing them without exposure to moisture slows their decay to almost zero. But, keeping these single use batteries on hand is fine, but they may not always be available.

Rechargeable batteries are for the long term reuse when single use may be unavailable. And, I use a solar charger to keep them charged. I like eneloop batteries with the D-cell inserts and the goal zero Guide 10 to recharge them. You can also recharge your phone using the goal zero.

You need a diversified portfolio of batteries to get the job done in all kinds of situations. YMMV. [smile]

OK, maybe I have a problem. Are there any AA meetings scheduled for AA battery addictions?

Back
Top Bottom