• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many guns? And, what?

wasralex22

NES Member
I was watching a really dumb Youtube video of some guy who claimed, he could carry more then six weapons [rolleyes]. With that being said if SHTF. What would you take, and how many weapons would you consider carrying? Let's say you're on foot, and potentially alone.

Would you bring guns for different uses? Ie, Long range, CQB, short range, or last resort? I am curious, I would like to be able to carry at least my shotgun, my AR that is set up for long range, and of course my pistol. But, taking into consideration, wight and the amount of ammo I would have to carry.

Last edited:
If you're talking about a survival situation, carrying that many guns on you at one time would be pretty heavy, and thus not very wise. You could technically be carrying half a dozen LCPs strapped to your belt just to say you'd done it, but there's no practical point. By all means, have a diverse stockpile wherever your camp/whatever is, but carrying more than one or two long guns for any length of time is excessive IMO. I'm no expert, but I hear those who claim to be say that keeping weight to a minimum is pretty darn important.

I don't really see a scenario in which you wouldn't be well served by just a quality sidearm and an AR. Engage your point targets out to 550m, and anyone further than that you can probably avoid (not likely that most are good enough shots to hit reliably beyond that anyway). If you're talking about hunting, it's hard to beat the versatility of a shotgun. Everything from squirrel to bear, just change your ammo and have at it.

My usual thought is that if the end comes I'm probably screwed anyway, but who doesn't like kicking around a "what if..."?

I agree that six guns is just stupid. Let's just assume for a moment that bugging out "on foot" (I use the term loosely in my case) would be a good idea, which is more rare than sheltering in place. I would try to take an AR 15 and an M&P pistol with maybe a backup ankle gun... maybe. The rest of the weight I would carry would include a 72 hour go bag with survival equipment that will very much more likely be used to save my life than weapons, like a water filter.

Now, if you haven't taken up a "spot" or shelter. You're on the move. You have to take items with you including your weapons. Even the most fit person can carry what? 80 pounds or so?

80-90 pounds is getting to the upper limits of what someone in really good shape can schlepp for any real length of time, and it better be on a quality frame. FWIW, the ruck marches I've been on are usually 12-20 miles, 45 pound ruck (plus ~7 pound rifle, ACH, and LBV kitted out), water, 4 mph pace. You're not having much fun at mile 19.

I was watching a really dumb Youtube video of some guy who claimed, he could carry more then six weapons [rolleyes]. With that being said if SHTF. What would you take, and how many weapons would you consider carrying? Let's say you're on foot, and potentially alone.

Would you bring guns for different uses? Ie, Long range, CQB, short range, or last resort? I am curious, I would like to be able to carry at least my shotgun, my AR that is set up for long range, and of course my pistol. But, taking into consideration, wight and the amount of ammo I would have to carry.

He may be able to carry 6 firearms, but he would not be able to carry much else, let alone cover much distance with all that gear.

Every ounce extra you carry starts hurting more on mile #2. [wink]

For TEOTWAWKI, being solo can be a death wish. That aside, carry your go pack, one long arm, one pistol, one knife, loaded mags (remember the ounces), and some loose ammo to reload (remember the ounces!). Most likely some other SHTF scenario will happen first and you may have the option to bug-in or drive/bike out.

See this thread for other ideas. And, my comments in it here and here.

YMMV.

Last edited:
I was going to say, a 50# ruck is a bitch after the first 10-15 miles and that's for guys doing PT a couple hours a day every day of the week. Your average Joe is going to struggle by mile 5. Once you start getting exhausted, your legs get weak, coordination suffers, lungs can't get oxygen to the muscles fast enough, you get light headed, decision matrices break down, and survivability drops dramatically. Remember that the more guns you carry, the more magazines and calibers you will need to carry. A rifle may weigh 6-10 lbs but 100 rounds for that rifle can weigh 3 lbs on its own. Seven magazines is a typical combat load and that's just for the rifle.

Sooo... if you carry 10 lbs in ammo plus an 8 lb rifle, then another 5 lbs for a pistol and ammo ... you are almost at half of your expected load out. That doesn't leave much capacity for food, clothing, tools, etc.

Last edited:
2 years ago I did 15-20 miles a day for 10 days through Alaska wilderness with a 45lb pack, that experience made me reevaluate what I would take on a SHTF scenario. P14 is correct, every ounce makes a big difference. There are also several different pack loads for the type of SHTF scenarios. But if it's a shooting, defensive type it is AR only for long gun with 10 round mag L&L (then 3 30rd mags), 1911 compact 45 ACP with 3 -7 round mags and a Ruger SR22 with 3-10 rd mags (great for picking off squirrels, rabbits etc), all available weight after food and 8lbs water will go to ammo up to 50 Lbs.
For reference:
Loaded 30 round steel AR mag with M855 = 1.5 Lbs each
Loaded SR22 10 round mags 2.8 oz each
Loaded 1911 7 round mags 7 oz each

He may be able to carry 6 firearms, but he would not be able to carry much else, let alone cover much distance with all that gear.

Every ounce extra you carry starts hurting more on mile #2. [wink]

For TEOTWAWKI, being solo can be a death wish. That aside, carry your go pack, one long arm, one pistol, one knife, loaded mags (remember the ounces), and some loose ammo to reload (remember the ounces!). Most likely some other SHTF scenario will happen first and you may have the option to bug-in or drive/bike out.

See this thread for other ideas. And, my comments in it here and here.

YMMV.

^^^this and good broken in running shoes/boots...i do a lot of hiking up in NH and it's all about weight...the faster you want to hike the more lightweight gear you need or carry less gear

I was going to say, a 50# ruck is a bitch after the first 10-15 miles and that's for guys doing PT a couple hours a day every day of the week. Your average Joe is going to struggle by mile 5.

Speak for yourself, I'd have to take a break at the bottom of the driveway.

- - - Updated - - -

I would probably just take a 22LR rifle and a handgun in 9/40/45/10MM. 22 rifles are light and the ammo is light.

My Sig 522 weighs more than an AR. :)

A .22 rifle such as a 10/22 is what I call the "get it gun" Can put food on the fire and will get what the other guy has after you ambush him, Not a lot of noise easy to moderately suppress.

And I don't care what anyone says, a .22 to the back of the head from 100 yards is going to ruin someones day. (Sniper movie)

I sure as heck wouldn't. A .22 probably won't stop someone outright, but one in the gut will still do you in without treatment.

A friend of mine was shot at close range in the lower stomach with a .22 rifle. He's fairly good-sized, in excellent shape, (runs/bikes/black belt in a couple of disciplines). He told me it knocked him right down.

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/09/living-off-land-delusions-and.html takes a good hard look at the numbers. It depends on the overall situation, but beyond a pistol for self defense, you're probably better off with more food.

The author argues to bring more food because the weight of the gun and ammo takes the place of bringing more food. What if there is no more food to bring? What about 2-legged critters? Caloric intake is critical to survival "out there" and the author clearly brings that message home....What you harvest to survive is as important as how much you harvest. Fishing, if available, appears to be an excellent way to survive in the wild. Bagging a deer and preserving the meat can feed one person for 21 days. Try that in the summer with no refrigeration or salt and see how that works for you.

When the SHTF and you decide for better or worse to bug out, you plan for the likely scenario at hand. In 10 minutes, I can adjust what is in my pack to add more ammo or more food. If I can drive, I have 3 bins of stuff including all the firearms that will go.

Hiking for more than 10 days without resupply is possible, but not fun. Survival for 10 days or longer without resupply will not be fun either. You will need at least one firearm and perhaps fishing gear to make it better. My thoughts only.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure as heck wouldn't. A .22 probably won't stop someone outright, but one in the gut will still do you in without treatment.

It depends. What if you had a shotgun, AR, or AK and they had a .22 rifle? What about a pistol and you were within 25 yards of them? These are the experienced few that would recognize a .22 rifle. In that case, the one with the .22 may be the one running. That was my point.

Last edited:
I guess I might be in the minority on this one, but if I see someone with a gun and I don't know if they are friendly, I'm going to try to avoid them completely regardless of how I'm armed, at least if I'm out and about and not in a camp.

What you harvest to survive is as important as how much you harvest. Fishing, if available, appears to be an excellent way to survive in the wild. Bagging a deer and preserving the meat can feed one person for 21 days. Try that in the summer with no refrigeration or salt and see how that works for you.

Any SHTF situation that requires you to hunt to survive . . . the deer will be gone in a few days, the fish in a few weeks. And we'll be hunting in rush hour traffic.

Any SHTF situation that requires you to hunt to survive . . . the deer will be gone in a few days, the fish in a few weeks. And we'll be hunting in rush hour traffic.

Or hunting the rush hour traffic (at least until it thins out). I man's gotta eat!

In a SHTF scenario it would be my M1A, M&P40(FS), and my Ruger MkIII. I don't own a 5.56 and of all the other firearms these are the ones that will run reliably without having to worry about cleaning and lubing as much as the others. I'd like to take my .22LR rifle for small game but it starts acting up at around 350 rounds of not cleaning it. Plus I'd rather dedicate that five or so pounds to any of the following, back-up water filtration/food/ammo/clothing.

What is " Out there " we speak of ?

This seems to another one of those "wandering around the wasteland with no plan " threads.

Plan A : take everything. Including your reloading supplies , spotting scope , staple gun , and empty brass. In a truck , with your friends trucks following behind you. Go to the cabin one of you already owns , with a well , a woodstove , a garden , neighbors who know you , and more stuff.

Plan D : a 72 hour bag set up for " travel light , freeze at night " , an AR15 carbine , and 6 to 12 loaded mags.

Plan K : dump everything , and run like a bastard.

Or plan z. Pick a house in neighborhood, fortify it with neighbors and share resources. Kill and eat ebt takers when food runs out. Remember the end or the world is a 24 hour event. Doesn't end when the sun goes down-only gets worse. Your better off hanging inside for about 60 days and let the mayhem Peter out. By that time most of the thieves will be dead or formed large predatory gangs, government might still exist somewhere, and groups of workin class folks will be organized enough to figure out a plan without getting picked off one by one. Wandering the northern woods eating pine needles, sleeping in a snow bank and shitting in a hole is a death sentence. Your just a future two legged meal for someone

Back
Top Bottom