How many magazines?

Per gun, how many magazines should/would you have?

• 1 is enough

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 2 is better

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 4 per gun

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • as many as I can buy

Votes: 80 69.0%

• Total voters

FrugalFannie

NES Member
As we are downsizing I am think about whether I should maybe sell some of my spare magazines. We used to be 3 so on range days it was good to have multiple spare mags for 3 people. Now, there are just 2 of us and since some/most of our stuff will be "stored" with a friend, perhaps selling off some of the "extras" would be a good idea.
What's the minimum you would keep?

Per gun, at least 10.

Most mags are cheap enough where it isn't a big deal. I wouldn't sell any mags to "downsize", whatever that is.. Put them all in a box and tape it up. I have like 1000(exaggerating for effect) mags in one box in a closet.

All that is pretty easy until you get an HK [smile]

Last edited:
I have a bunch of guns and the ones I like the most, and self defense guns, I have at least 3 usually 5. 1911 mags....well they just tend to accumulate because if I sell a 1911 its only with 2 mags and I've had a lot of 1911's over the years and the good thing is they are cross functional between gun brands. I have no less than 10 1911 mags at any one time and that's probably rookie numbers for a real 1911 enthusiast.

Other guns like hunting rifles usually just one or two.

Someday when I get down to just a few guns, Ill have a lot of mags for each gun, and that day is coming soon.

I have a bunch of guns and the ones I like the most, and self defense guns, I have at least 3. 1911 mags....well they just tend to accumulate because if I sell a 1911 its only with 2 mags and I've had a lot of 1911's over the years and the good thing is they are cross functional between gun brands.

Other guns like hunting rifles usually just one or two.
1911 mags aren't worth selling. The price doesn't make them worth it anyway

I vowed a long time ago, I will NEVER again load another magazine while on a range shooting.

I buy rifle magazines 25-50 at a time, pistol magazines 10 at a time.....just like ammo, there is no such thing as enough.

I vowed a long time ago, I will NEVER again load another magazine while on a range shooting.

I buy rifle magazines 25-50 at a time, pistol magazines 10 at a time.....just like ammo, there is no such thing as enough.
Couldn't agree more... f that noise each rifle gets 4 mags the pistols get as many mags as I have usually about 20 each and we out.... beers and a game while loading beats sitting on the line any day

You should keep all you have.
Have a minimum of ten per firearm.
I have enough AR-15 magazines to take to a 1k round count class and I never have to refill mags during class.
I have fewer Glock 19 mags, but can still make it through the first day without having to refill mags.

Training_magazines.jpg

You should keep all you have.
Have a minimum of ten per firearm.
I have enough AR-15 magazines to take to a 1k round count class and I never have to refill mags during class.
I have fewer Glock 19 mags, but can still make it through the first day without having to refill mags.

View attachment 483645
+1

6 per pistol, 7 per rifle, minimum.

Exceptions being large caliber toys which take $75+ mags, and can be fed onesie-twosie, IMO.

Cosmo
Ladies Home Journal
Cooks Illustrated
Bunion Digest
Saturday Evening Post. . .

That's 5. Five magazines. ;)

I've been owning guns for 20-something years. I've owned a LOT of magazines. I still own a lot of magazines. If we just had a simple USSC case that said, "STFU about their damned magazines" I'd have 4-5 for each gun. As it stands, I have a lot more than that for many firearms. Because they might be a problem some day.

Per gun, at least 10.

Most mags are cheap enough where it isn't a big deal. I wouldn't sell any mags to "downsize", whatever that is.. Put them all in a box and tape it up. I have like 1000(exaggerating for effect) mags in one box in a closet.

All that is pretty easy until you get an HK [smile]
Same here but those damn Sig and HK mags get pricey!

Just my personal take: I'd take my imaginary combat loadout and then double it to have spares for each mag as my minimum comfort level. Although, there is something to be said about not going too overboard, as I'd want to thoroughly function test and inventory each mag, and things can get a little overly complex after a while.

"Extra" mags are like "extra" guns or "extra" ammo. No such thing. I have 3 AR's in go bags, each has 6 loaded mags. Another dozen+ loaded in the mag drawer. Lost count of the unloaded ones. Roughly similar idea for the AK's, in fact just bought 6 more yesterday.

When S&W was pushing the Shields I bought a pair. Since Lady Radtekk and I each have a GHB in our vehicles and another in the "spare" Jeep, I just bought a case. Gun mag, +2 on body, +4 in each GHB. Adds up quick.

"Extra" mags? Lol...

5-7 minimum per gun or per platform to get started, then go from there. The only real exception is very unusual guns or mags, like say if someone had a G98 - no, don't try and buy ten WW1 trench mags, or a Valmet AK in .223, where the mags are like $250 per mag.

Back
Top Bottom