• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many mags. do you have?

question for those that have multiple loaded mags for each gun,do you have self defense ammo in them or what..?

personally i have certain mags that are loaded for SHTF and they are marked as such...alot of people use different color ranger plates on AR mags to denote what is what

personally i use electrical tape on my AR mags

green = AP
red = TAP
blue = HP
black = FMJ
black/orange = 4 FMJ followed by 1 tracer

simple enough and works for me...of course in a shtf scenario you dont care what it is as long as it shoots but its nice to know

pistols i usually keep 1 - 2 mags of self defense ammo loaded in em and the rest are just fmj for the range

in the past 3 weeks ive spent over $1k adding more mags to my stash...if there is another ban the mags you buy at $20 today will be worth double tomorrow!

<snip>
in the past 3 weeks ive spent over $1k adding more mags to my stash...if there is another ban the mags you buy at $20 today will be worth double tomorrow!

I just spent about the same on .223 (American Eagle) and 5.56 NATO XM193 ammo. I found a dealer and bought out his entire lot.

I like you idea of color coding the mags.

3 for each gun I own. As sad as it sounds I find it theraputic to load the magazine, and then emptying it (i.e. with my hand, not by firing it - although firing it is the most fun).

Maybe I'm just being paranoid over who may be reading these boards and not wanting to sound like a jerk or anything, but how many mags (or guns, or ammo, etc.) I have is kind of no one's business but my own...

...I suppose a sufficiently ambiguous answer would be, "Enough, but more are always welcome."

This can go the other way as well. I have a friend who bought over $6000 in pre-ban Glock mags during the ban. Was going to sit on them for a few years once the ban was made permanent and sell them for big money. Well he is now out about 4500 bux. Dope.

As for mag quantities. Buy them cheap and stack them deep. Mags are a disposable item. If you ever feel like you are going to need to use them for self defense or SHTF you need a lot. Look at any picture from Iraq following a firefight and you will see mags lying on the ground. Without a mag your pistol or rifle is a single shot.

This can go the other way as well. I have a friend who bought over $6000 in pre-ban Glock mags during the ban. Was going to sit on them for a few years once the ban was made permanent and sell them for big money. Well he is now out about 4500 bux. Dope.

Is there some reason why he couldn't sell them for a nice mark-up in one of those benighted shot-holes (e.g., MA) where the ban is still alive and well?

Ken

The rule of thumb I have always heard is at LEAST 10 mags per weapon, to allow for replacement due to breakage and wear out, to maintain the use-ability of the weapon through a couple of generations after all possession of hi-cap mags is forbidden and replacements are unobtainable - something probably to happen shortly after the Dems get into power after the next election.

That said...in my case....never enough.....stock up now !

The other question - how many of you have multiple magazines for firearms that you don't even own yet !?

[rolleyes][rolleyes]hardly a month goes by that some kid doesnt call me up or knock on the door trying to sell me another dang magazine. I tell 'em I dont want ----- )Oh, for my firearms! yeah, i keep 3 for each.[rolleyes]

Getting close to 10 each for the AK & AR. after that come rebuild kits for " repair " ... new springs & followers.

Still slowly piling up 1911 mags , only 3 so far. must fix that.

And then there are the HKS speedloaders for my favorite revolver , Have 5 , want 25. .... 'cause I think they are cool.

Since I started this thread back in Sept. 2007 I have obtained quite a few more mags. and firearms.

Mags. for:
Glock 22 10
Glock 27 10
AR15 60 (and counting)
SW M&P 8
PPK/S 6

A nice start, huh? Not my stuff BTW.

mags.jpg

Last edited:
i have 8 (10) rounds for my 10/22
savage 93 hmr only has 1 5 round mag

i have 3 30's, 1, 20 and 1, 10 for my AR.

not enough :'( I need like at least 20-30 more AR-15 mags, at least half a dozen more ruger mkII mags, a number of ruger 10/11 mags, a lee enfield mag or dozen, a half a dozen more sig239 mags.

3 10 rnd extended mags and 7 8 rnd mags for my Ruger P345, I carry the pistol and two extra mags daily. My fiance makes "Boot Pockets" for me, they are pockets big enough to hold a magazine or two, or a flashlight or even cash or whatnot, made out of canvas. They slip inside my boot and velcro right to the boot so they don't move around. Pretty handy at times.

Up until I got rid of it, I had 5 17 rnd mags and 5 15 rnd mags for my G19.

I still have 5 extra mags for my Sigma too, even though I sold it with 5.

Having less than 10 mags for any gun means you're probably a vegetarian or something. Maybe even a vegan.

Recently, I have seen many discussions on the subject of people having many magazines and one thing still eludes me : why the necessity for >5 mags per firearm?

Two mags/firearm sounds reasonable to me and three seems plenty. What is the underlining thought here that I am missing? I cannot see my self conceal-carrying with more than 2 extra mags.

Then again, I am new in the business so enlighten me [smile]

Cheers,
AIG1

When legiscritters decide to "ban" them again then you will wish you had 5 times the amount you have. [laugh]

I try to have at least 4 for each gun, if not more, depending on cost, etc. I only start to "feel comfortable" if I have 10 or more, though. [laugh]

-Mike

A couple of 20 and 30 round AR mags.

about 10-15 M1 carbine mags, a mix of 5, 10, and 15 rounders with one 30 rounder

5+ for my 1911, M&P, and 92FS

For the rest of the handguns, 2 or 3.

and 4 M1A 10 rounders

Back
Top Bottom