• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many single shot owners out there?

Contender(s), high wall, low wall, Ruger #1, Ruger #3, H&R handi rifles,

probably a couple more that I forgot (like the 8x58Rmm rolling block)

Jack

H&R Handi here. Love it when they shoot, but having issues with light primer strikes and it's not ammo related.

There's a company called Midland that's making/selling single shot shotguns right now and the guns fold down like the M6 Scout does, which I love. Midland is planning on coming out with some .223, .357, and .22 barrels, which I believe will be a drop in fit like the T/C's are. If they ever come out with a .308 barrel, I'll be buying one.

They're striker fired and the striker cocks after closing the action, so you don't have to pull a hammer back to fire. This is great because it also gives you a faster second strike if need as the break open lever is located in front of the trigger guard and all it requires is pulling it to cock the striker.

BTW, the price for them is around $150.

Here's a link for these shotguns and soon to be rifles:
Midland Arms - Home Of The Backpack

Chiappa Little Badger. Surprisingly accurate with the stock sights. Terrible ergos with the wire frame stock, but not bad if you aren't sensitive to the recoil of a .22lr.

prodotti_immagini_immagine_260.jpg

Didn't Henry just come out with one? I have a feeling it is going to be a bit costly for a single shot.

There is also the Ruger 1.

I wish someone would take over the H&R design. That was a decent gun, and could be REALLY good. With maybe 10% more care in building tolerances and finishing, it could be 50% nicer, and maybe 20% more cost.

Better still, would be to come up with a new design, based off the H&R Handi. Take it to the next level, without going overboard price-wise.

THAT said, why don't they make any decent adult single-shot .22's or .22 Mag's any more? They make a few, but they are all kid oriented.

Stainless TC Contender with 10" match .22 barrel and Burris IER 7X scope. Shoots under 1/2" @ 50 yards. Blue Contender with 10" .22 and 10" 7 TCU. Remington 40X .22 getting a Jewell 2 ounce trigger and Weaver 36X scope once I get around to installing them. Remington XP100 in .221 Fireball with a 10X IER Burris scope. Shoots under an inch @ 100 yards. Finally a Stevens .22/410 which is like having a single shot .22 and a single shot 410 at the same time.

Edit: didn't think black powder counts as they are almost all single shots but, another TC, this one is a Pennsylvania Hunter 50 caliber flintlock with a 1:66 twist for patched round balls.

Last edited:
Still have the single Marlin .22 I carried on a trap line as a lad. Mainly use to dispatch marauding porcupines now
Contender with a selection of barrels. The 357 Max accounted for a few deer. Shot a small buck with it just after sunrise on the first day it was legal to take a deer with handgun in NY. Early 80's.
owned a few rugers #1 &3. Never held on to them long.
Killed quite a few turkeys with an H&R 10 gauge over ten years or so. Sold it to a member here a few years back. Dam* that was a lucky gun.
Then of course a selection of muzzle loaders. Past decade most of my deer taken with one. Current favorite a custom build I did on Remington 700 ML action. McGowan .45 barrel with Savage breech plug and Hunters bolt nose kit. Sits in Boyd's thumb hole stock. Holds 3" group at 300 yards. Elevation correction easy but you better read the wind. Building its twin now with shorter barrel and shorter adjustable stock for the grand 'yutes to use.

Don’t have a single shot shotgun but I’d really like them. They give me a sense of nostalgia even though I wasn’t around when they were in vogue. I think the no frills, all business nature of them is what’s appealing.

Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express 45/70 Browning 1885 45/70,40/65. Had several Ruger No1 and 1 No3 and a couple of T/C Contenders. Was called a Neanderthal for having single shot rifles and no semi autos.

Didn't Henry just come out with one? I have a feeling it is going to be a bit costly for a single shot.

I wish someone would take over the H&R design. That was a decent gun, and could be REALLY good. With maybe 10% more care in building tolerances and finishing, it could be 50% nicer, and maybe 20% more cost.

Better still, would be to come up with a new design, based off the H&R Handi. Take it to the next level, without going overboard price-wise.

THAT said, why don't they make any decent adult single-shot .22's or .22 Mag's any more? They make a few, but they are all kid oriented.
Already mentioned it in my post, but Midland is the closest to doing an updated H&R single shot.

They're just offering single shot shotguns right now, but later this year rifle barrels in .22, .357, .223, etc. will be available and they will not require being sent back to the factory to be fitted like the H&R were. I don't have any need for a single shot shotgun right now, but I'm gonna wait for the rifle barrels to come out and if/when they do and the feedback is good, I think I'll be letting go of my over/under Mossberg to get the Midland.

T\C omega black powder .
My Grandfather's winchester .22
A Savage 219 in 30/30 that was recovered from a basement covered in mold that I restored .
All tackdrivers

Already mentioned it in my post, but Midland is the closest to doing an updated H&R single shot.

They're just offering single shot shotguns right now, but later this year rifle barrels in .22, .357, .223, etc. will be available and they will not require being sent back to the factory to be fitted like the H&R were. I don't have any need for a single shot shotgun right now, but I'm gonna wait for the rifle barrels to come out and if/when they do and the feedback is good, I think I'll be letting go of my over/under Mossberg to get the Midland.

I do NOT see them selling single shot rifles at Walmart for $129 any time soon.

I would like something in .17 WSM or .17 Hornet, and also maybe .357 and .308 or 30-06.

I do NOT see them selling single shot rifles at Walmart for $129 any time soon.

I would like something in .17 WSM or .17 Hornet, and also maybe .357 and .308 or 30-06.
$120, $130, $150... what's the difference? They're all inexpensive, more so than what the H&R were selling for before Freedom Group shut them down.

I'd go so far as to say that in the next few years, Midland is going to be selling at Walmart because the shotgun is lightyears ahead of those Hatfields. If Walmart actually has flyers next to the case that show the barrel can be changed from shotgun to rifle in a few simple steps and Walmart has the barrels in stock, they'll sell a lot of these Midland guns.

.17 caliber won't happen, but the .357 will. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the .308 happens.

My #1 hunting shotgun is the Encore in 20 Gauge. One of my favorite rifles is the Ruger #1 in 30-06. Nothing wrong with the single shot...makes you wait before you take that shot...you only get one.

I'd like to get a Henry .410 single shot when they come out with it. I keep missing opportunities at old topper .410's. Found a decent old one at Cabelas and should have bought it...didn't. Gone the next day.

$120, $130, $150... what's the difference? They're all inexpensive, more so than what the H&R were selling for before Freedom Group shut them down.

I'd go so far as to say that in the next few years, Midland is going to be selling at Walmart because the shotgun is lightyears ahead of those Hatfields. If Walmart actually has flyers next to the case that show the barrel can be changed from shotgun to rifle in a few simple steps and Walmart has the barrels in stock, they'll sell a lot of these Midland guns.

.17 caliber won't happen, but the .357 will. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the .308 happens.

I didn't realize they were priced that low. In that case, you're right.

I think the .17 will be inevitable. Those are very hot right now.

I heard this once:

You have to think about one shot. One shot is what it's all about. The deer has to be taken with one shot. I try to tell people that - they don't listen.
This! It's why I started using my TC muzzle loader during shotgun season. Much more accurate than any shotgun with slugs I've range tested. Took 2 deer with it this season and it is now my go to deer gun.

Henry does make single shot rifles. $369 at cabellas. They come in 223 243 308 44mag and 45-70. They also make single shot shotguns in 12 20 and 410 for under $400. I think that's a pretty fair price considering your getting decent walnut and fantastic fit and finish......hell the single shot savages (over under 22/410) are selling for more than that and they are shitty fit and finish, all crappy plastic, and look like a cheap crappy gun.

Last edited:
Sold my H&R Buffalo Classic and kinda wish I didn't. I tell myself I'm saving for a Shiloh. I love my Ruger #1, and only use muzzleloaders during firearm deer seasons. I cant wait to see one of the new Henrys.

Back
Top Bottom