• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many would you need to feel safe ?

I saw someone mentioning magazines, I have those covered and just bought spare springs for every magazine I own - they were out of stock for awhile - now back.

I agree hunting will knock back the numbers, but bad guys, MZBs and idiots will try to take from others first......less mouths to feed in short order and more for the compost pile.

Isn't the whole discussion kind of pointless? Assuming that the OP is concerned about defending his home in the event of wide spread civil unrest?
95% of us live in wood frame houses with glass windows. This would quickly turn to swiss cheese in a fire fight.

We all had a good laugh and piled on the OP for his question. (myself included). But his question is totally valid for the casual shooter/ gun owner. Ammo is scarce and super expensive for what can be found. Assuming the OP has a couple of guns and is justifiably concerned about the post election insanity that could occur, how many rounds should he try to acquire?
I truly believe that if shit goes sideways enough that you need more than 1000 rounds because riots have broken out and houses are being torched, the National Guard will be patrolling the streets and Marshall law would be declared.
The NES crowd sees ammo differently than most groups because we actually shoot our guns occasionally. Hell, I've had range trips with newbies that we chewed through 500 rounds in no time, through a half a dozen guns. 10 - 30 rnd mags of 556 goes in the blink of an eye.

But the OP should also consider that if things really get bad, the ammo you have now could very well be all the ammo you will ever have a chance to buy, regardless of what you are willing to spend.

If there is widespread lawlessness you are no longer going shooting for training. How much ammo can you carry? How much ammo can you sit on top of and defend? I'm certainly not saying don't stock pile ammo, just saying you probably won't need that much. No way are you going to fire hundreds of rounds defending your house, likely you will win or lose with less than 100. Just as I say never go head to head with organized enemy troops why would antifa come to your house shooting when they could just quietly burn it in the night?

A couple of magazines worth would be enough for me to feel safe but I like to have several thousand on hand for practice. I also have a large unfriendly german shepherd who lets me know when anyone comes near the house.

I think most people are more concerned with making perps feel unsafe. If the hoards decend upon suburbia, you could work on a plan to make them a little nervous or jumpy with some 37 mm rounds.

View: https://youtu.be/fWiyQrviirs

You could also superglue a whole mess of BB's to a nose-cone, for a little 'Anti-Personnel' action.

Last edited:
I think most people are more concerned with making perps feel unsafe. If the hoards decend upon suburbia, you could work on a plan to make them a little nervous or jumpy with some 37 mm rounds.

View: https://youtu.be/fWiyQrviirs

That patriot in CO was carrying bear spray for deterrence. We are way past that, shoot to kill. Or don't even present a firearm.

It's not what ammo you may need TO SHOOT.

Ammo may be currency. A box of 9mm may feed your family for a week if traded for foodstuffs, or a case may shingle your roof or pay for cordwood to last a winter.

Buy what you can, when you can, and when it doesn't take money from other priorities if it's just 'extra.' Ymmv.

I wish I exercised my 2A rights as much as I talk about them. Are you guys just not going to the range, if you can't replace what you'd shoot?

Isn't the whole discussion kind of pointless? Assuming that the OP is concerned about defending his home in the event of wide spread civil unrest?
95% of us live in wood frame houses with glass windows. This would quickly turn to swiss cheese in a fire fight.

We all had a good laugh and piled on the OP for his question. (myself included). But his question is totally valid for the casual shooter/ gun owner. Ammo is scarce and super expensive for what can be found. Assuming the OP has a couple of guns and is justifiably concerned about the post election insanity that could occur, how many rounds should he try to acquire?
I truly believe that if shit goes sideways enough that you need more than 1000 rounds because riots have broken out and houses are being torched, the National Guard will be patrolling the streets and Marshall law would be declared.
The NES crowd sees ammo differently than most groups because we actually shoot our guns occasionally. Hell, I've had range trips with newbies that we chewed through 500 rounds in no time, through a half a dozen guns. 10 - 30 rnd mags of 556 goes in the blink of an eye.

But the OP should also consider that if things really get bad, the ammo you have now could very well be all the ammo you will ever have a chance to buy, regardless of what you are willing to spend.
I often make the same argument. If your stocking up because you think you are going to take some kind of year long stand in your home then you are an idiot. Stocking up because of supply and increasing costs is a different story.

Does anyone vacuum seal ammo with desiccant
I've done a couple of cans of assorted .50bmg rds a few years ago in packs of ten, minus the desiccant. Makes it easier to carry 20-30 rds, keeps it clean and dry and you don't have to lug a full can to go shoot.

Note: Don't use cheap off brand bag roll, use Food Saver brand, it is better quality and stronger.

Like in “Battle Packs” or tin cans?
I was thinking about plastic vac bags for food, along with desiccant sprinkled inside. Looking for long term storage
I often make the same argument. If your stocking up because you think you are going to take some kind of year long stand in your home then you are an idiot. Stocking up because of supply and increasing costs is a different story.
Yuuuuuuuupppppp. I reload/cast etc because of panic buying and I dont like mark up. Plus douchebag politicians EVERYWHERE

I found that Weatherby ammo (300 mag 180gr Accubonds) are instock at Basspro/Cabelas HOORAY

I ordered 6, 20ct boxes for ~$510 (normal price no gouging) - will be at the Hooksett store in a week or so.

I had points so now I just have less.

Lady Radtekk used to say "If you left some on the shelf at the store then you may have nought enough, but not too much". I'm content with my inventory at present but if I run across a case of something priced below current insanity pricing I'll buy it.

Trade bait is always a good thing to have. I just bought a 275gal water storage tank for 200 rounds of Freedom Munitions 300blackout reman ammo. Dude had two tanks sitting there and a brand new rifle he couldn't shoot. I bought the ammo 6 months ago for 40¢/round. It's going for over $1 now.

If my house is under siege for more than a few hours by any one other than my in-laws, I have bigger problems. I buy to shoot, and reload to keep shooting. That doesn’t mean I don’t have a reserve somewhere, and I’m happy where I am in that respect. I won’t say “no“ to a good deal though.

you have 1,2, guns whatever!!.Whats the bare min no of rounds you feel you need to make you feel safe, AND no silly answers like 100k or 10,000 etc. Take into account nov 4 and the current lack of ammo and NO i'am not paying $700 for 500 9mm. I'am thinking this is going through a lot of guy's heads right now
A billion , Maura.

Back
Top Bottom