How Motorcyclists Think People React When They Ride By

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
LOL, you were being uncharacteristically kind. Allow me to correct the title for you:

HOW HARLEY DOUCHES (WITH LOUD PIPES) THINK PEOPLE REACT

Convince me I'm wrong.
Or sitting at a red light. Is There a chance that if they don’t constantly mash the throttle at a red light the thing’ll die? If it won’t idle without you constantly twisting the throttle, get it sorted. Otherwise, no one wants to hear your straight pipes.
I get it, I ride (well, the bikes in storage for the short term) and I absolutely have an aftermarket exhaust. Go WFO out on a ride, not in a neighborhood or sitting at a red light. Having missed two seasons, I’m far more aware of just how douchey some behavior appears. It’s not limited to pirates though, plenty of squids partake in the douchebaggery as well.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
LOL, you were being uncharacteristically kind. Allow me to correct the title for you:

HOW HARLEY DOUCHES (WITH LOUD PIPES) THINK PEOPLE REACT

Convince me I'm wrong.
I didn't want to trigger the resident HD fanboy, I think he is kinda old and doesn't need the anxiety...Only thing I wish that video did was after the original act, show how people really react..I was actually waiting for that but it never came.

My favorite line was this :

"Where do you think he is going?"

" Probably somewhere dangerous"

lol

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I always knew kids loved when I rode by, but full grown nerds too? I'll make sure to give them a sample of whir from my stock muffler.

What happened to that guy's eggs? He just left them on the stove in all the excitement.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
What I imagine will go through my head on the motorcycle:

"Freedoommmmmmm!!!!"
1600345447700.png

What really goes through my mind when I'm on my motorcycle:

"Is that squirrel about to run in front of me? Does that curve look wet? Is that sand? What's the speed limit anyway? What's up, girl? Is my tire flat? It feels funny. This is so fun. I love this song; time to play slalom with manhole covers. Should I pass this slow line of seven cars? Is that rain?"

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Luckily I have today off..Possibly last 80 degree day we will have in 6 months.

Damn that's f'n depressing.
Waaaa! Wanna trade for 3 hours in a Jeep with the wife, followed by outlet mall hell? LOL it's her B-day and she's usually pretty tight with the budget so I can stomach shopping once in a blue moon. Doing the N Conway, Mt. Washington thing for a couple days. Last time to Mt. Washington was on the Aprilia. Waaa for me, LOL.

I don't really get why TF these Harley Larpers (love that term) have to make noise- I guess it's mechanized ape grunting? I have carbon fiber straight through cans on the Ducati and it's pretty damn loud. In the neighborhood I keep the revs down, same thing in a crowded area. Neighbors across the street have a relative w/ a Harley. No matter how late he leaves the party, he's gonna blip that throttle like a total...

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Definitely..It's really funny when they get mad at a stupid driver..They keep revving the engine over and over...Waaaaa Waaaa Waaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Wife and I went for a walk yesterday evening and there was one in a rotary displeased with the speed at which traffic was moving. Decided bouncing the tach off the rev-limiter was a good way to get people moving. It decidedly had little to no effect at all 🤣.

Full disclosure, I've done this. Almost got hit by someone, but I have indeed used the rev-limiter as an alternate horn.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
We have a Hell's Angels clubhouse nearby and whenever a bunch of them go by I assume they're going somewhere dangerous or to outer space. When anyone else rides by I'm just jealous unless it's cold or raining.

Haha that is great. I always have a hard time deciding which is more annoying, the obnoxious sound, constant revving, or the combination of both while blaring highway to hell thru what sounds like 6” Tweeters. Absolute junk.
That Doppler Effect, doe.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Waaaa! Wanna trade for 3 hours in a Jeep with the wife, followed by outlet mall hell? LOL it's her B-day and she's usually pretty tight with the budget so I can stomach shopping once in a blue moon. Doing the N Conway, Mt. Washington thing for a couple days. Last time to Mt. Washington was on the Aprilia. Waaa for me, LOL.

I don't really get why TF these Harley Larpers (love that term) have to make noise- I guess it's mechanized ape grunting? I have carbon fiber straight through cans on the Ducati and it's pretty damn loud. In the neighborhood I keep the revs down, same thing in a crowded area. Neighbors across the street have a relative w/ a Harley. No matter how late he leaves the party, he's gonna blip that throttle like a total...

My birthday today as well... yay !

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
...Possibly last 80 degree day we will have in 6 months.
thanking god for inventing fall and winter...i owe you one.

my take away....after seeing here on nes, someone is looking to get their shotgun fit to them, i was thinking fitting a shotgun to the little guy with no neck in that scene would be a bitch.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0

My parents have a new neighbor with an over piped harley, basically its retarded loud barely above idle and the guy seems to do like loops around the block making farting m80 noises, guy leaves at like 5 am doing that and comes back at 9pm doing the same thing. I just laugh when i’m there and happen to hear it. It’s really not that bad, but it’s like the dude is 11 or something, and i bet after he parks his bike, he probably goes inside and closes all his windows so he can smell his own farts. Like I have friends with Harleys and none of them are that f***ed up.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Luckily I have today off..Possibly last 80 degree day we will have in 6 months.

Damn that's f'n depressing.
Six. SIX???? Maybe 8. I can't see an 80 degree day in early March. I don't see it likely in April either.

But yeah, those loud-pipe guys are like lifted-truck guys. I feel for their wives and girlfriends. Thank goodness there is a large marital-aid market these days. ;)

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My parents have a new neighbor with an over piped harley, basically its retarded loud barely above idle and the guy seems to do like loops around the block making farting m80 noises, guy leaves at like 5 am doing that and comes back at 9pm doing the same thing. I just laugh when i’m there and happen to hear it. It’s really not that bad, but it’s like the dude is 11 or something, and i bet after he parks his bike, he probably goes inside and closes all his windows so he can smell his own farts. Like I have friends with Harleys and none of them are that f***ed up.
Went riding with a friend yesterday and stopped like I usually do at the Shell station on RT 202 at Rt 2. HD LARP'ers (all the HD branded gear, skull cap helmets etc) ride up while we are kicking back and were just constantly blipping their throttle while they were in neutral coasting to a stop near the benches. They pull up and back in, blipping the throttle the entire time, when they finally came to a stop, one loud blip and then kill the engine...

I mean whatever makes them happy, but I honestly think they think they are impressing people..I don't know, do other HD riders like to hear blipping throttle Harleys ? Do they do it to announce their presence ? The guys that I know that ride HD, are just HD riders, not HD lifestyle LARP'ers, so they don't know the answer. I always end up BS'ing with the blippers at break spots, and they are cool so I don't want to ruin the conversation with a stupid (in their opinion) question on why all the blipping and do they realize everybody is annoyed and confused, not intimidated. I mean some of these guys are in a huge 1%er gang called HOG and I don't want to be a part of some initiation ritual involving old fat guys with beards.

Last edited:

AJK129

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I usually try to keep it quiet on my street, I'll coast down the driveway etc. and go back up in 3rd gear.

But sometimes the race exhaust just needs to sing

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Went riding with a friend yesterday and stopped like I usually do at the Shell station on RT 202 at Rt 2. # guys ride up while we are kicking back and were just constantly blipping their throttle while they were in neutral coasting to a stop near the benches. They pull up and back in, blipping the throttle the entire time, when they finally came to a stop, one loud blip and then kill the engine...I mean whatever makes them happy, but I honestly think they think they are impressing people..I don't know, do other HD riders like to hear blipping throttle Harleys ? Do they do it to announce their presence ? The guys that I know that ride HD, are just HD riders, not HD lifestyle LARP'ers, so they don't know the answer. I always end up BS'ing with the blippers at break spots, and they are cool so I don't want to ruin the conversation with a stupid (in their opinion) question on why all the blipping and do they realize everybody is annoyed and confused, not intimidated.
The EVO motor was introduced in 1984 and with it the need for blipping throttles went away. A properly tuned EVO will idle at 1000 rpm all day long, carbureted or fuel injected.

Prior to that, some earlier models needed the throttle blipping to keep from dying, but that was more a function of tuning than anything else. A properly setup Shovel, (with an S&S carb), would idle well, with that "shovelhead stagger".

Drag pipes actually work best at higher rpms, they don't flow too well at lower rpms. So guys who fit them to their bikes and don't set the rest of the system up right have bikes that run like crap.

Years ago, I was talking to a guy I know, he was a MA cop and a member of NEDOD. He rides a BMW, and pointed out to me that it's nice to be past the cop running the radar before he hears you coming. Took that to heart, and swapped back to almost stock pipes. Current bike has stock exhaust, it's quiet, will sit and idle unattended once it warms up.

Top Bottom