How much ammo is enough for you?

PaulR

NES Member
I know we all dislike to say how much we have stocked away exactly, but in a hypothetical situation, how much would satisfy you to stop buying ammo?

I recently came across 450 rounds of 9mm, and I could have got more, but passed it up.
I have a new 9mm shield, last 2 times out I shot maybe 30 rounds, then the rest 22lr. So I'm thinking if I keep that rate, I have enough ammo for the next 15 times I go to the range.

knowing the legal limit in MA is 10K rounds, personally I'd like to be close to that.

I'm thinking maybe 500 rounds of 9mm is enough for now? or would you all suggest to buy buy buy?

How much 22lr is enough for you?
How much 223 is enough for you?
etc
etc

Until I need one of these to manage my ammo supply, it's not enough...

Last edited by a moderator:
For awhile, I always bought twice as much as I shot.

Now I've got ammo, but haven't been shooting much because for awhile it was impossible to replace.

Now that stores have ammo in-stock more frequently, I'll start heading to the range more often.

To answer your question, 1.5k 9mm, 1K .45acp, 2K .223/5.56, 2k+ .22lr, assorted boxes of shotgun shells with target, turkey, deer, and H-D ammo.

When you see ammo on the shelf at the local Walmart, and you think "It's not worth waiting for the clerk for just a few hundred rounds", then you are getting close.

But you can really never have too much.

It really is never enough. I buy all I can afford, as I can always sell ammo when I need money. You can't always buy ammo when you need it. Bullets also hold their value better than the dollar, so it's more of an investment than people realize.

Until you cannot store it where you live (due to weight) you don't have too much. I keep mine on the second floor of the house I'm living in. If I reach a point where I suspect the weight concentration is too high, I'll move some to the basement (concrete slab) and continue on. I'd love to have tens of thousands of rounds of .223, 5.56, 300 Blackout, and .45 ACP on hand.

Only thing I would suggest is after several years storage time (depending on how it's stored), plan on testing out at least a magazine (or a few of them) from each year supply. Such as for ammo purchased in 2005, test a couple of mags (standard capacity, not the hamstrung MA versions). If they function normally, then you're good. If you store the ammo in sealed containers (ammo cans/boxes) you should be good for the long term.

Keep in mind, I'm in NH where there's no limitation on how much ammo I can have, or how I store it. [smile]

based on how often I shoot each caliber, I have different amounts I want to keep of each on hand. I need at least 1000 of each to not feel nervous, but I'm well over that on my more popular rounds

500 rounds of 9mm is less than 30 mags. That's a trip to the range for training.

I've taken several pistol and rifle courses. It's typical to shoot 1,000-2,000 rounds PER DAY.

You can never have enough ammo or loaded mags. I suppose if I had 100k rounds of each caliber I'd think about slowing down my purchasing and focus on buying mags.

No fixed number, but I store as much as I can fit in these ammo cans for each caliber I have (9mm, 38sp/357 mag, .45 ACP and .22LR).

p_105000077_1.jpg

I know we all dislike to say how much we have stocked away exactly, but in a hypothetical situation, how much would satisfy you to stop buying ammo?

I recently came across 450 rounds of 9mm, and I could have got more, but passed it up.
I have a new 9mm shield, last 2 times out I shot maybe 30 rounds, then the rest 22lr. So I'm thinking if I keep that rate, I have enough ammo for the next 15 times I go to the range.

knowing the legal limit in MA is 10K rounds, personally I'd like to be close to that.

I'm thinking maybe 500 rounds of 9mm is enough for now? or would you all suggest to buy buy buy?

How much 22lr is enough for you?
How much 223 is enough for you?
etc
etc
Truly one of the classic questions for all time. [smile] How high is the sky? How deep are the oceans? What is the true meaning of life? How much ammo is enough? [grin]

All I can say is that Obama changed my thinking a lot back when he was first elected... and my thinking changed again rather radically in all the post-Newtown gun-grabbing craziness. Now the answer is simple: As much as I can afford to buy and store properly/safely without breaking the law or endangering my marriage.

Having once bought some bulk ammo that went bad on me from improper storage, I am keenly aware that ammo can age if not stored properly and if not rotated as you consume and replace it. I'm not talking months or years here. I'm talking decades. Yes, I am a very old fart.

Anyway, I believe I'm now pretty close to the maximum manageable amount for my current and projected usage. Only thing I am really short on right now are Mini-Mags and a few rarely used oddball pistol calibers (no urgency on the latter). Other than that, I think I am pretty well set for the rest of this year. Whatever craziness comes out of the MA legislative process will likely determine my next move as far as bulk ammo purchases go.

Last edited:
I'll add I don't own any FA or belt fed rifles yet. If I did that number would be a lot higher.

Ask people like Cekim or Acme how many rounds they use just at each NES member shoot.

Back
Top Bottom