• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How much ammo is enough for you?

If you can count how much ammunition you have, you either don't have enough or you have way, way too much time on your hands and you should be out at the range.

Can we add an option #3? I'm an accountant! I need to count every bean that crosses my path. But I must admit that lately, I've amassed so much ammo I only do sporatic inventory counts. Thats a good thing tho!

Seems that for those very brave souls willing to put a number to it, either 1,000 or 2,000 rounds per caliber (centerfire, as minimums) keep popping up. I wouldn't call that enough for everyone, but it certainly is a good start in the age of Obama and crazy gun-grabbing leftist politicians. For some of my oddball & collector guns, I have as few as 100 rounds. For my most popular caliber, I have well over 2,000. For those in the middle, 1,000 give or take is not a bad number.

Rimfire is another story. Availability problems aside, it does not cost a whole lot of money or space to maintain a very healthy supply. [wink]

If you can count how much ammunition you have, you either don't have enough or you have way, way too much time on your hands and you should be out at the range.

^^^^^^^^ This!

I really can never have enough, but I'm also not willing to pay stupid prices for it.

This is my problem too. I basically stopped buying almost all ammo a couple of years ago. I still can't bring myself to pay current "reasonable" prices for 9mm, I get flashbacks to ~2004-5 when I was buying bulk 100rd Rem and WWB packs for $8.98 to 9.98 at Dickless and ChinaMart.

My Wife and I used to avg 2 trips/month to the range, she'd burn 4-500 rds .22LR and 50 rds of 9mm and I'd go thru 300 or so CF pistol and 100-150 .22LR per session. That was prior to the Big Mistake Round 1! Now as an Instructor I'm usually standing behind the shooter, not shooting and avg 100 rds .22LR and maybe 50 rds 9mm once/month with my Wife sometimes running 300 .22LR and rarely shooting 9mm.

I shoot 300+ rounds each time I go to the range. So 1,000 or 2,000 rounds isn't much.
I guess it all depends how often you go to the range. [wink]

Centerfire-wise, 200 rounds is a typical day for me this year. To be honest, that's all I can afford.

I might go 300 rounds or more on a rimfire day... and surprise, surprise, I'm still able to afford some supper. [grin]

I guess I could have added to my spreadsheet post; I know what I have for firearms, I know that an AR will burn through ammo a lot faster than a 300wby. So I weight my ammo based on what gun it goes in.

I am going to add more shotgun rds, not even close to the limits.

I think you would have enough when you could replace all you want when you want at the price you want. Then you wouldn't have to worry about restocking.

Last edited:
As much as I can legally own in this crapper state. If I could own as much as I wanted I'd need a shipping container.

No fixed number, but I store as much as I can fit in these ammo cans for each caliber I have (9mm, 38sp/357 mag, .45 ACP and .22LR).

p_105000077_1.jpg
Move up to the fat fifty!

You really dont want to know how much i have. It's an addiction and i know it.
The 10k limit isnt correct. it's 10k of rimfire 10k of center and 5k of shotgun.

Last edited:
1,000 caps or other small arms primers.
not more than 16lbs of smokeless propellant.
not more than 2lbs of black powder.
According to 527 CMR 13.04 (1)(E).

I just looked that up, and it appears that those limits are for "a building or other structure" per section 13.04 of the below. Looks like you can exceed the above QTYs without a permit... you'd just need to get another safe for your shed and/or detached garage! [rofl]

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/cmr/cmr-secured/527013.pdf

Oddball calibers for guns I never really shoot , maybe 50 or 100 rounds. For the days when I do the occasional " Gun tourist " day at the range for visiting non shooters.

5.56 , 7.62 , 45acp , 22LR - I buy this stuff by the case , and save the brass , and buy components for reloading in bulf. Too. Whatever the legal limit is , that's where I am at ...

Then you're in the system for having a lot of ammo/mats on hand.

Exactly! Getting a "permit" to stockpile ammo will just put you on somebody's radar. Seriously the only time the amount of ammo you are storing off the books would even come into play was if there was a fire at your house or you got raided by the local JBT crew, and at that point you'd have bigger things to worry about anyway than violating some storage MGL.

Back
Top Bottom