How much ammo to you keep on hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you here flatter yourself.

No one is watching you on here to learn about your so important ammo stocks.

If you don't like the OP's question, just ignore it.

Sorry but the answer of that from the masses should be NOYB! or anyone else's. The electronic media is too exposing.

I would ask that a mod close this thread for obvious reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Disclaimer: I realize this may be a "touchy" subject and for those not wanting to discuss or provide input, good on you- please do not turn this into a "I'll never tell anyone how much ammo I have because the "man" will [fill in the blank]" Just skip this thread.

I want to get a feel for how much ammo people keep for their various firearms. After the M855 Valentine's Day Massacre of 2015, I got to thinking- how much ammo should one keep for their various "toys"? It seems one day ammo is plentiful and easy to get, and not 8 hours later, there is a panic and ammo disappears. I totally get it, though- spending thousands of dollars on a hobby that without ammo, you essentially have an expensive paperweight.

To get a better idea, obviously the amount you shoot on a weekly basis will determine how much you keep on hand. Also, I am sure people hoard 5.56 and 9mm more than say, .357 mag.

1) How much ammo do you keep on hand per caliber to have in the bank if another (God forbid) Sandy Hook situation occurs to the ammo market to keep your toys putting lead down range? (approximately)

2) How many rounds do you shoot on average per week?

ANS: I have around 2000x 5.56, 600x .40, 1700x 9mm, 1400x .45, 200x .308, and maybe 300x .22. I normally shoot (on average) 100 rnds/week of various calibers.

My opinion on how much to keep on hand has changed greatly since 2012. Before then, I only kept about 2-300 rounds of ammo for my calibers- I "knew" I could get more if I needed it. Now, I find myself "tin foil hat" buying ammo up because tomorrow, I might not be able to. I have friends that have over 7k 5.56 and I think that is excessive, but at the same time, if it isn't available anymore, they will have the last laugh...

I'll let you know when I'm done stocking up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at about +/- 50% capacity WRT the "legal limit" that White Feather so kindly posted.

Remember that rimfire & centerfire & shotgun are broken out in separate categories & quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom