How much extra are you willing to spend to do business with a local shop?

Yes, I understand that....which is why I don't buy from them. Eventually people will catch on and these guys will be out of business.

[rofl] Don't count on that anytime soon. If sales get slow they might lower the price a little, if they're smart. Most of the time they don't have to, because as I said.. endless stream... (or seemingly so).

This isn't just an MA reg/legal thing either. There are plenty of shops in free states that charge way too much for things, too.

-Mike

Well, time will tell if I am wrong. Hopefully as prices calm a bit these guys will shake out. It's like the crappy builders who profited during the boom, but are now bankrupt because their reputations caught up with them and there are so many willing to work. I always try to believe that karma is a bitch and people reap what they sew in the end.

I don't see the relativism here. A guy building a shitty house and willfully misrepresenting it as a good one is not the same as some guy making $200-300 off a handgun. The former is FRAUD, the latter is really just capitalism.

-Mike

I thought we were talking about buying used guns at a local shop.

Yes, I was drawing a parallel. Hoping that ones that gouge will reap what they have sewn. Now, this is not to say all shops are like this. Fours Seasons in Woburn and Bob's in Webster are excellent and I have no problem giving them my money, even if they may be a slightly higher price.

I don't begrudge any shop any money they make on a used gun. If the seller chose to sell it for a certain price, and the buyer is willing to pay a certain price, then the shop is entitled to make whatever they can on it.

With that said, I'm willing to go about 10% over online to buy at my favorite shop.

Putting this in percentage terms is important. Because what I suspect he is looking to purchase is a high ticket item and $150 is about 10%. I am more willing to shop at a local store if they have what I want so that I can touch and feel it. If they are going to have to order it, I am less likely to do so. Especially because it is easier for me to return something than it is them, so if I don't like it, it can cause issues (whether or not those issues are openly discussed).

Maybe I'm not normal, but I buy everything I can online. If I buy something locally, it's because I screwed up and need it that day. I greatly prefer shopping whenever I feel like and having things delivered to my door. If it's something where I need to see/handle it in person (which is exceedingly rare for me), I'll pay the shop price for providing that service unless it's really outrageous in which case I'll at least buy *something* to support the shop.

Guns, I try to buy used on the forum whenever I can. Otherwise I'll call around shops and buy it where I get the best value. If that's gunbroker or buds and having it transferred by a local FFL, fine.

Depends. I'm all over the place, doing a crapload of driving anyway, so a 1 1/2 hour run to a gun store isn't a really big deal. That usually means I'm pretty picky about price unless I'm in immediate need of something.

The one exception to that is First Defense. Even though they're a good 30-40 min away from home, they're almost on the way home from work, they've received and transferred things for me without complaint, and they've ordered multiple things to keep in stock after just an inquiry as to availability. On a slower (although still pretty busy) day, Shelly spent quite a bit of time searching through their racks of holsters to locate a holster I thought might work for a gun it didn't list on the wrapper. I've never walked in there and felt anything less than respected and appreciated as a customer, so yes...I'd absolutely spend extra to deal with them.

I'm willing to pay extra for good service, good people, and convience, or need it now.....

I'm also willing to go elsewhere or online or out of state, if I'm dealing with an a**h*** or feel like I'm getting hosed. With the rise in sales tax I've found myself doing more online and out of state lately, not only for guns and ammo, but other things as well. Which is unfortunate for the dealers in this state......but they have the government to blame for that.

I'll buy new from a shop when the costs justify the convenience. Used I'll buy if the deal is right. I've bought new from a shop before and regretted it though. Same goes for online purchases as returns are more difficult, etc.

Basically, I've found that online vs. local means less to me than buying from someone that I know will treat me right and give me good service when things go wrong. I have a few relationships with local businesses and online retailers that do provide me that service, so my money gravitates towards them (and sometimes both at the same time since I have to transfer in online purchases to some FFL here in th MA [wink])

Honestly, I'm willing to shell out a few more bucks to shop locally, it's different if they were truly trying to gouge, but if it's not an incredible amount more, support the local store.

Don't forget, if we don't support the local stores, that cut us deals and always have great service, then those stores may soon go away.

Our choices are already thin compared to many states, let's not make things worse.

I don't see the relativism here. A guy building a shitty house and willfully misrepresenting it as a good one is not the same as some guy making $200-300 off a handgun. The former is FRAUD, the latter is really just capitalism.

-Mike

It's probably fraud or, at minimum, an unfair and deceptive trade practice if you tell your customer "I am selling this to you at $30 over my cost" when such is really not the case. The original complaint was not about the amount of profit, but at when the poster thought was deception by an owner claiming a $30 margin as inducement to close the sale. Even so, we cannot tell - since the fact the poster was offered way below what he paid only establishes what the dealer will pay for that model of gun, unsolicited, at that moment in time - not his average cost of acquisition.

Last edited:
Putting this in percentage terms is important. Because what I suspect he is looking to purchase is a high ticket item and $150 is about 10%. I am more willing to shop at a local store if they have what I want so that I can touch and feel it. If they are going to have to order it, I am less likely to do so. Especially because it is easier for me to return something than it is them, so if I don't like it, it can cause issues (whether or not those issues are openly discussed).

All together I'm looking at a bunch of different accessories, but there is one big ticket item in the list. The one that give me the bigger discount. As I posted in another thread I'm looking at either a Leupold or Nightforce scope. Prices locally on these items are nowhere close to what I can get online. As MetalgodZ eluded to, one of the local shops I got pricing from is First Defense. I REALLLY want to give this guy some business as he's two minutes from my house and has been very helpful in the past. But, at the same time that extra $150 is enough to buy a BUIS or the Harris Bipod I need, etc'. Choice is do good for the local guy with the First Defense or get more for my buck with a reputable online distributer.

It's probably fraud or, at minimum, an unfair and deceptive trade practice if you tell your customer "I am selling this to you at $30 over my cost" when such is really not the case. The original complaint was not about the amount of profit, but at when the poster thought was deception on the price. Even so, we cannot tell - since the fact the poster was offered way below what he paid only establishes what the dealer will pay for that model of gun, unsolicited, at that moment in time - not his average cost of acquisition.

I guess I just look at it differently because I automatically assume every salesperson is bullshitting me on their profit if they bother to tell me about it. Of course, in most cases, the dealer says nothing... then you can't really claim the person was misled.

ETA: I missed the part about the disparity between trade ins and the purchased price. Everyone knows that dealers don't pay crap for used guns that come into the store on a trade in basis...... like I illustrated in another post... the dealer doesn't want to pay much because he doesn't want to have to sit on that money for any longer than he has to. If it's a crappy, unpopular gun, he might be sitting on that cash for a long time. If he makes 200 bucks on it, he probably deserves it if he had to sit on the damned thing for a year or whatever. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
I try to support the local "Mom & Pop" stores whenever possible.
If some phenomenal deal presents itself on-line or mail order and its within my means ,I'll grab it.
There is always the "Buying Blind",shipping,no return policies and paypal issues which can be deterents for some.
Your gun shop should be like going to the same dentist or mechanic for decades,you develop a business bond.
Local merchants want your repeat business,and typically once you develop some report, a business relationship develops.
Personal service,trust,reputation and genuine concern for the second amendment is something I'll spend alittle more money on.

...once you spend enough over a period of years,discounts may appear,ya nevah know...

+1

Depends what I am buying. If buying a new handgun the transfer fee will generally negate any online discount. I will shop online for stuff I can't get locally, LaRue parts for example. I will shop locally for fishing gear and pay higher prices for gear because establishing a relationship with the local shop is priceless for intel.

I like going to my local gun shop and shooting the breeze with the guys (always service with a smile for me at Northshore). I have a great relationship with them and will pay a little more for good service. Unless it is a significant difference in price I shop locally.

For me, granted I haven't compared and contrasted firearm accessories yet, but for any big ticket purchase or for item that run the risk of needing a warranty replacement. I want a local entity to talk (or sternly speak at). For example, for all of my flat screen TV purchases, I could of saved in some cases $300-$500 on the purchase if I went with an online vendor. But in the cases that something has failed (which it has), I want someone to talk to face to face. I want to be able to bring the item back to the store that day and get an instant resolve. Whereas If I made the purchase online, I'd have to wait to receive the product, find out it broken, go through the RMA process, packing the item back up, sending the item back (in some cases at your expense), wait the processing time, etc etc.

Time is money and if an extra $300 (obviously within reason) can save me time and frustration, done deal.

I'm willing to spend up to 10% over online prices if the shop has it. I will also ask the local shop if they are able to match the price if possible.

I am chiming in at about 10% over a online deal.
I would go up to about 25% (for items under $150) if I could get it same day instead of waiting for delivery.

Choice is do good for the local guy with the First Defense or get more for my buck with a reputable online distributer.

Or you can go to First Defense, explain what you can get it for elsewhere and see if there is a price point where he can make money and you're willing to buy. This may not be possible, since, unlike the business at the mall (which generally buy stuff from supply chains you are completely shut out of if not in the business "for real"), the dealer cost for many of the products sold at gunshops is no different that what you can get from a mail order deep discounter. I've seen the price list showing what a major shop in MA pays for powder and primers, and it's basically at the same price point that persons in free states can get these components from if they use discounters specializing in such products.

I patronize Stateline in Mason because of the impeccable service and helpfulness of everyone there. That's worth a lot to me. I walk in, I'm greeted, I can shoot the breeze, ask goofy questions or browse or whatever and never feel like I'm unwelcome.

Paul and his staff treat me like they want my business and are pleased to have me in their shop. That compares to other places I've been around here where I feel like I'm intruding on people's busy social lives by asking to handle a gun they're selling.

Absent one HELL of a price difference that they can't match, I'll pay the extra.

Service like that is its own commodity. I think we miss that part of the price we pay is for service. Besides, I never had an on-line store greet me and say: "Hey, you have a XXX right? we just got in some new (pick ammo/accessory") check this out!" You can't put a price on that kind of thing.

I don't put a percentage on how much i'm willing to pay extra for the convenience of using a local shop. However, there have been some cases where I've seen the local shop prices are almost double what you see online. Especially during the Obamascare after the election that resulted in massive shortages of everything firearm related. That being said, I do have a favorite shop, but that is because he always has sick deals.

I am usually willing to pay more at the local shop because I like the instant gratification of going home with my purchase that day rather than waiting for something to come in the mail. That said, if there is a significant enough difference in price I will buy online, but I cant really say what the breaking point is. I guess that it would be different depending on the item.

/John

if I have time, i'll check a couple local stores while running errands... if they don't have it or it seems overpriced, i'll order online....

for most accessories like holsters, slings, optics, magazines, cleaning kits / supplies, misc tools, parts, nic nacs, and targets, i usually do do better off online, not because of price though, most of the time it's availability.....

guns and ammo i'll usually buy at the store(s) unless i snag something of the classifieds here on NES.... as for percentage over, i'd say never over 10% for anything new, closer to 15% if I needed it (want it NOW) the same day

Lately it seems, like I get treated better by online stores than local shops. Actually, I was treated very well at American Firearms School and Northeast Trading on my last visits. I don't need to be treated like a king or thanked profusely. I just want to feel welcomed, and of course I'd pay a little more.

In the above you are referring to gross margins and not profits. You need to factor in ALL of the costs associated with a given item before you can even come close to figuring out whether or not the dealer is profitting. He might buy a gun for $100 but he also has shipping costs, carry costs, labor, rent, electric, insurance, taxes etc etc.

Yeah, but it's not really my job to keep the dealer in the green. It's his job, and he can do it with good customer service, inventory, and reasonable prices.

Like I was saying earlyer. The established stores in the state of Ma. have nothing to worry about except the state itself. When you think of the number of stores compared to the customer base the numbers are way offset. It's like their the lucky chosen ones. With the number of licences issued these days on a constant basis, all these stores have to do is get 500$ for a handgun to a recent LTC & his job is done. Also horrible laws in Ma. allow the dealers & consigners to charge a premium & I don't blame them for doing so. By the same token Ma. laws are always changing & could effect them greatly.
Life goes on.

5 to 10% here because I like not having to drive 50 miles to pick up my goods

I patronize Stateline in Mason because of the impeccable service and helpfulness of everyone there. That's worth a lot to me. I walk in, I'm greeted, I can shoot the breeze, ask goofy questions or browse or whatever and never feel like I'm unwelcome.

Paul and his staff treat me like they want my business and are pleased to have me in their shop. That compares to other places I've been around here where I feel like I'm intruding on people's busy social lives by asking to handle a gun they're selling.

Absent one HELL of a price difference that they can't match, I'll pay the extra.

Service like that is its own commodity. I think we miss that part of the price we pay is for service. Besides, I never had an on-line store greet me and say: "Hey, you have a XXX right? we just got in some new (pick ammo/accessory") check this out!" You can't put a price on that kind of thing.

My wife and I spent quite a bit of time talking to two guys at the Stateline booth at the Manchester show. They were both knowledgable and friendly. My wife was looking for a easily carried pocket pistol. She narrowed it down to either the Ruger LCP or the slightly larger Bersa Thunder UC. She couldn't make up her mind so we took their card and left. A few days later the NRA magazine came with the cover story on .380 pocket pistols. She liked the looks of the Taurus 738, so based on our positive experience with Stateline, I called them to get a price.

Long story short. The owner wouldn't give me a price. He told me that he only does that for customers. He said if I was only shopping for price I should look elsewhere. I was stunned. All the goodwill the store had built up with me was instantly dissipated. I was more than willing to pay a few dollars more than the prices I had found online but without being able to know just how much more I said goodbye. I will never patronize that establishment.

Sometime in the next few weeks we will go up to Riley's and compare the Ruger with the Taurus and walk out with one. Maybe two. I hope the owner sees this post.

I find myself in need of a good amount of accessies for a rifle that I'm building out. As I price out what I need, I've gone to a few local gun shops for pricing and also have done some searches online. Overall I can save close to $150 by going with someone online even after taking into account the shipping.

I'm all for supporting the locals as it's the only way to make sure these local gun stores stick around. But, $150 to me is way to much to pay in order to keep the business local. I know it's not really the local gun shops fault as they need to make a profit to stay in business. Also, for a number of things they can't compete with the high volume discounts the online guys get from their distrubutors. It's to bad, but I'm going online to buy.

So how much extra are you willing to spend to keep your gun and accessories purchase local?

I will use an example to answer. I was looking for a Ruger MkIII. I spoke to a local shop and when I was done, I drove to Four Seasons when the gas prices were over $3 a gallon in an Expedition that gets 12MPG and paid less including the gasoline costs. And the store owner was a friend. Nuff said

Back
Top Bottom