• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How much gear is too much?

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Welcome to all the new folks joining!

I just wanted to officially kick this forum off with the above topic concerning mainly service rifle competition but it can really apply to all shooting sports.

To preface, as a 5 time expert marksman in the Marine Corps my equipment was an M16/A2 service rifle, sling, magazine pouch with 3 magazines, first aid kit, and one canteen of water when we went to the range. No spotting scopes. No shooting mats. No shooting jackets. No expensive pull carts, etc, etc.

So, in the interest of convincing new shooters who are interested in trying out HP service rifle to not be intimidated by all the fancy gizmo's they may see people using, let's hear what you use. For instance, is it really necessary to have a $600 Kowa scope with a $300 eyepiece?

The reason I like shooting disciplines such as service rifle is that I truly believe the most accuracy potential lies in the nut behind the trigger. The more you can tighten up that, the better groups you'll have. I just started shooting the service this past December since leaving the Corps 10 years ago. I've placed third in both matches and shoot with some of the finest shooters in the country, including the current President's 100 winner. My next match is one week from today.

What do I use? A bare stock RRA A2 with a RRA 2-stage trigger and their SS Wilson barrel, stock A2 sights, and a Marine Corps web loop sling. I did just purchase Creedmoor's cheapest shooting jacket. I use a piece of carpet for a mat and have so far borrowed a scope. I've used a cheap scope and the above mentioned Kowa scope. Neither one will resolve .223 bullet holes at 300 yards. I'll be getting a cheap waterproof scope in the near future.

The one thing I have found is match ammo is a must. So, if you're thinking of getting involved and don't have all the fancy stuff, don't sweat it, just do it. All kinds of folks will help you out and lend you equipment.

Let's hear what you use.

Just shoot it!

Semper Fi!

Id like to hear more about this, to honest, its the gizmos that have kept me from trying service out. the pictures Readings KD range looks like Olyimpic tryouts, and I wasnt sure where id fit in. Im certainly interested, Im going to try and get up to next weekends match and see what its all about.

BTW: Four Seasons has Black Hills Reman .223 for $12.00 for 50.

centermass181 said:
Id like to hear more about this, to honest, its the gizmos that have kept me from trying service out. the pictures Readings KD range looks like Olyimpic tryouts, and I wasnt sure where id fit in. Im certainly interested, Im going to try and get up to next weekends match and see what its all about.

BTW: Four Seasons has Black Hills Reman .223 for $12.00 for 50.

Centermass - like I said, all you really need is an approved service rifle, sling and bullets to get started. Most all folks I've seen will bend over backwards to help new shooters just for the asking.

What do you have right now for a shooting stick?

I hear about a lot of people who want to get in to HP shooting but don't have the gear, don't know what gear they need, and don't know what it is all about.

I'm going to see if I can get the rifle range this spring/early summer to host a HP clinic for those who want to get in and see what this type of competition is all about.

I'll make sure it covers scoring, the course of fire, shooting techniques, and equipment/ammo. It will be a lot of fun, and if you have any desire to try out HP competition, you'll have to be sure and come out.

I will start a thread when I can confirm the range date.

Derek

D - the CMP also puts on clinics. Someone at your range is probably the CMP director and can put on the clinic. There is no course of instruction, it's basically left up to how whomever teaches it. It does give a certificate of instruction from the CMP that then allows those folks to purchase Garands from the CMP.

+1 on the clinic, I would go for sure.

Tony, Ive got an AR15-A2, Garand, and M1A that Im pretty sure would all meet the CMP/DCM guidlines. Id probably shoot the AR, as Im most familar with it.

centermass181 said:
+1 on the clinic, I would go for sure.

Tony, Ive got an AR15-A2, Garand, and M1A that Im pretty sure would all meet the CMP/DCM guidlines. Id probably shoot the AR, as Im most familar with it.

Those are all the approved rifles for srevice rifle comp. I suggest you just jump and go the next nearest match in your area.

Do you have any specific questions that I can help you with?

We have CMP twice a month at the www.hansonrodandgunclub.com.

I believe that we have a few M-14s and Garands if people need something to shoot.

No need to be intimidated. We're pretty low key. It is a friendly bunch of folks who just enjoy shooting. Anyone interested should come on down.

We also have a .22 gallery pistol team that shoots in a league all over Plymouth and Bristol counties. We could always use another couple of good shooters...

It is a 100 yard range, and is in Hanson, MA. There is a map and written directions on the contact/directions page in the url I posted above. In a general sense, it is SE of Boston about half way between Boston and Plymouth, I guess.

Braintree R&P also runs CMP shoots most months (except Winter) on the 50/100yd range. See http://www.brp.org/html/cpm.html for more details. I suspect that they start up in March or April, but I don't see it on the calendar and don't remember what was posted at the club yesterday.

Ames R&P also runs some CMP shoots, but no info on their website about it.

Both clubs have M1s and AR15s plus ammo available to use for the matches.

I've never attended a CMP event at either club, so that is all the info that I have to share.

TonyD said:
[Do you have any specific questions that I can help you with?

good sling idea for my A2 to shoot the matches with.
when you say loop sling, do you mean the green cloth one that the marines use now, or the older fashion leather one with all the holes and hooks and stuff.

centermass181 said:
TonyD said:

when you say loop sling, do you mean the green cloth one that the marines use now, or the older fashion leather one with all the holes and hooks and stuff.

Either one. The leather one is probably the best but also more expensive. I use the green cloth USMC loop web sling.

TonyD said:
centermass181 said:
TonyD said:

Either one. The leather one is probably the best but also more expensive. I use the green cloth USMC loop web sling.

The reason why a majority of HP shooters use the leather sling is because it is thicker than a web sling which makes it a bit easier to work with, and because it sticks to the body better than cloth.

But either will do the trick.

What Sgt. D says is absolutely true. Just keep in mind I'm trying to let new shooters realize what they can use and what they don't have to have right off the bat. If I come across a good leather sling down the road I'll probably pick one up.

Also, I understand the stiff leather slings (usually marked MRT) are not the ones to use.

Know anything about that, D?

TonyD said:
What Sgt. D says is absolutely true. Just keep in mind I'm trying to let new shooters realize what they can use and what they don't have to have right off the bat. If I come across a good leather sling down the road I'll probably pick one up.

Also, I understand the stiff leather slings (usually marked MRT) are not the ones to use.

Know anything about that, D?

Correct

The two M1 Garands that I have from the Marines both had the Marine Rifle Team slings on them. They are stiff as a board when they are new. I guess you could try adding some type of leather oil to break them in, but that would take too long. I don't use them for Competition.

You can buy softer leather slings that are ready to go right out of the packing.

HP Rifle Shooting in CT?

Where can I go in CT to check out is sport? I'm biulding an AR right now. Any considerations I need to be aware of when I do my fist build? As far as being legal to shoot at matches?

Re: HP Rifle Shooting in CT?

MarkIIIShooter said:
Where can I go in CT to check out is sport? I'm biulding an AR right now. Any considerations I need to be aware of when I do my fist build? As far as being legal to shoot at matches?

One of the best ways is to check out the CMP and NRA websites that I have tacked in the Gen Info thread for the rules.

Basically, if you want to build an AR for service rifle it has to be of A2 or A4 configuration. Meaning a 20" barrel, fixed stock of A1 or A2 length, A2 pistol grip, and utilize either A2 iron sights or A2 national match iron sites. (The A4 uses the detachable carry handle with either of these type sights)

You can also have a match 2-stage trigger with a min. of 4 1/2 lbs. and you can also free-float the barrel as long as stock A2 hand guards are used.

I hope this helps.

Check the Reading Rifle and Revolver Club's schedule as they always run at least 1, maybe 2 clinics a season - one is usually early - before the registered matches start. They have rifles, ammo and equipment and a bunch of the Master and High Master service rifle shooters serve as coaches - it is an outstanding way to get in with the crowd, learn from the true experts and have a blast.
This sport needs new shooters and all are welcome.

ETA - how in the h*ll did I end up as a moderator?

TonyD said:
Thanks LenS. I checked their site and Black Hills is the only ammo they don't list a price for. Guess I'll have to call them.

Tony,

Don't go buying all the BH ammo there. That is where I'm going to be buying my 68gr. When you call you'll be surprised at how good the service is. That's the shop where I had my lower shipped to.

derek said:
TonyD said:
Thanks LenS. I checked their site and Black Hills is the only ammo they don't list a price for. Guess I'll have to call them.

Tony,

Don't go buying all the BH ammo there. That is where I'm going to be buying my 68gr. When you call you'll be surprised at how good the service is. That's the shop where I had my lower shipped to.

There site list's 69's and 77's but no price. Why don't you call them and see how much it is. Since you're local and all.

As much as I like those cats at Four Seasons Guns, they really need to do something about that website. It's like looking at a 15 yearolds bedroom, there is crap everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom