• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How often do you clean your guns?

How frequently do you clean your gun?

• More frequently than I shoot it.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Every time I shoot regardless of how many rounds.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • Every 200 rounds or so.

Votes: 44 24.0%
  • Every 500 rounds or so.

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • I put more than 500 rounds through it between cleanings.

Votes: 26 14.2%

• Total voters
Poll above.

Just curious how bad I am. For my 1911's, I keep them pretty clean. For my Glock, which doesn't seem to care, and my Ruger MkIII, which I shoot very frequently, I'm pretty slack.

On average though, which statement best describes how often do you try to clean your guns?

Last edited:
I shoot my Glock 19 the most and clean that every four trips to the range. The rifle and 1911 probably every other trip to the range, depends on what I have going on.

Depends on the gun. My Mossberg .22 bolt action can go through a lot of rounds before I clean it. My AR doesn't like being that dirty so it gets a cleaning every time I shoot it. I clean my 91/30s at the range no matter how many rounds it shot and scrub it down and grease it when I get home. I wipe down what I have in my pocket at least every week and clean it after every outing.

If it's a carry gun I clean it pretty regularly. Otherwise, I tend not to care as much and do it about once every 3-5 trips to the range, unless its a .22 rimfire semiautomatic handgun, where I don't bother taking it to the range if I don't clean it. .22 LR semis tend to malfunction if you look at them the wrong way, and all the .22 LR bulk ammo on the market consists of "Pure 110% dirt with a primer behind it". The same also applies to 1911s, which (at present) I only use for killing bowling pins, and I get a max of 2 "events" out of those before they need at least some maintenance. Going a third time tends to result in being punished by the gun (eg, jams, feed failures, etc. )

-Mike

I clean my AR's more than any others.... but even my AR's I probably don't clean half as much as I should.

I have yet to clean any of my shotguns.

as others said, depends on the gun.

my O/U gets cleaned ever time i hunt, or ever 3 or 4 trap days. CZ452 .22 gets cleaned when im bored, which is maybe once or twice a year. my j-frame has been cleaned once when i got it, and the glock has yet to see any type of cleaning

Depends on the gun. My AR - every 300, 400 rounds or so but I lube it every time. My pistols pretty much every or every other trip to the range. My carry gun every time - but that's more an issue of not wanting to carry a dirty gun than anything else. White-gloving a gun can do more damage to it than not.

Clean it after shooting it.

If it wasn't prepped for long term storage the last time it was put away (just cleaned and coated in a light sheen of regular oil), once every 3-6 months if it hasn't been shot in that long.

If it was prepped for long term storage the last time it was put away (Breakfree collector, copper-grease, etc), take it out once every other year and swab it down and re-prep it.

I clean MOST of them when I shoot them. The only one I don't is my 10-22 that usually has to have
about 1000 rounds through it or to start jamming which ever comes first.

Just treat it like your wife. You should clean it after every use...at least I prefer it that way![laugh] As for guns, I have found that it is much easier and quicker to give them a quick once over after a trip to the range, than to wait until a couple or more. Plus, I find it kind of relaxing to disassemble and clean/detail them, but that's just me...[wink]

I usually just give them a quick wipe down with a lightly oiled cloth after a trip to the range. And give them a good cleaning when reliability starts to diminish. But what I carry will get cleaned after I shoot it.

Back
Top Bottom