How Old Are These Bullets

by no means i think this is 100% but it looks like reinforced corner boxes were in use around 70s. possibly second half of the 70s but maybe longer.
googled for combinations of words: 'hornady metal reinforced corners box'
found couple of references.
one from ammo collector forum talking about his box of hornady bullets from 1977. his boxes had same color scheme and same metal corner reinforcements
also found picture of field and stream magazine page also from 1977 with an add for hornady bullets. picture isn't good, black-and-white drawing (not a photograph), but text brags about 'reinforced corners' on their boxes.
couldn't find much more. spent like half an hour. people find these quite often and ask for value. so i saw a lot of these boxes and simmilar question as yours asked. In most cases people say that these aren't THAT old and no huge antique collector value to them

Last edited:
I wasn't asking as a collectible standpoint, I couldn't see clearly enough to Identify them though all the sobbing. When I saw the price tag.

Dean

Are they jacketed ???

Yes they are there is actually a whole stash of them all calibers rifle and pistol, that the person wants me to buy but I have to take everything. The boxes all look from the same era, I am still evaluating.

Dean

So....are they .357 magnum or .38? I have a box of federal 180 grain sjhp 357 magnum from the early 80s. Perfectly rounded exposed lead hollow points. Its a box of 50....i fired 5....will probably never shoot the remaining 45 rounds. Kinda cool just to have em. The remmy sjhp i bought new have totally mis shapen shitty looking exposed lead hollow points. They just dont make em like they used too.

edit....just realized that is a box of projectiles not finished carteridges! Id love to see a pic of the actual bullets.

Last edited:
Yes they are there is actually a whole stash of them all calibers rifle and pistol, that the person wants me to buy but I have to take everything. The boxes all look from the same era, I am still evaluating.

Dean

What else is included? Always looking for bullets lol Im young enough Ive never seen those boxes.

Offer him prices on the box. You should be able to unload Nything you don't want at local gun clubs.
I bought many in the same way guy said all or nothing.
I said how much....he looked at a few boxes and mumbled 300$ for "everything" yup he says.
I,even swept the floor when I was done. I took everything to do with reloading and guns in the room.
He was shocked but also thankful as,he was just going to curb side the rest.
I sold all the 243cal and some 7mm bullets.
I,only wish I met this guy 10 years ago when he dumped all the guns!

Also buying stuff like this can open doors to more and better deals.
I,bought 2 bins of random stuff from a guy. 100$ I think I lost money on that deal.
Weeks later he came by with some nice old pellet guns and said "here take these"
Easily worth more than I paid for the bins.

The Remington and Nosler boxes I don't remember but the Hornandy I have a couple of boxes that are the same design .458 diameter 350 and 500 gr. Bought them in the early 80s if I recall correctly. Though I do remember buying 44 jacketed bullets from Colman's around 1971 and the prices were only slightly higher than the price on your box . Speer 240 gr jacketed were $4.50 maybe $ 5.00 a hundred.

Back
Top Bottom