• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How old do you think these 45ACP are?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
A couple months ago I went through my ammo and found a small bag of lead 45acp. For the life of me I cannot remember where I got these, but they look old. So I took them to the range and shot a few. First off, it's pretty obvious these are not made with modern smokeless powder as each shot was VERY smoky. Smoky enough that a fast follow up shot was not possible as I couldn't see the target in the inside range I was shooting at. Also in my 1911 the rounds were hitting 4 inches low and 3 inches to the left, but in a tight group. I took the rest home as they are obviously made for something, just not out of my 1911 bbl.

What do you think?

IMG_03431_zpsrqhj2csp.jpg

IMG_03411_zpstgrwmeoq.jpg

I'm guessing Titegroup & Cast Lead. The odds of those not being modern smokeless powder depends on your definition of modern - Bullseye has been around for a little bit.

I've seen some incredibly smoky reloads with lead bullets. Not quite black powder levels of smoke, but close.

R*P is remongton brass. the lead looks nice and not oxidized so it cant be all that old.
As for smoke...depends on what powder is used. My wimpy CLAYS powder cast 45acp has a warning I put on the box.....Do Not Use Indoors. Trailboss is pretty darn Smokey too.

Look like reloads to me. Silver primers and lead. Not something you'd buy in a store. R-P is Remington.

R*P is remongton brass. the lead looks nice and not oxidized so it cant be all that old.
As for smoke...depends on what powder is used. My wimpy CLAYS powder cast 45acp has a warning I put on the box.....Do Not Use Indoors. Trailboss is pretty darn Smokey too.

This. It is Remington-Peters brass. Some reloaders prefer it for cast bullets because the case walls are slightly thinner than say Federal or Winchester. Also, because of the thinner case walls, some shooters complain about bullet setback using the lead ball ammo.

A lot newer than some of the stuff I have.

last time I was shooting .45 with my dad, was 20+ years ago. We were using WWI ammo.....and did not finish it off! [laugh]

My Father-In-Law is retired Army, and gave me some WWII Vintage USGI Ammo mostly from 1943 & 1944. I reload, but took this stuff to the range one day just to see how it would do. EVERY ROUND went off, without fail. Here it was, 71 years after the fact, and a product of the good old days when we actually f*cking made something and gave a shit about it in this country worked as it should.

My Father-In-Law is retired Army, and gave me some WWII Vintage USGI Ammo mostly from 1943 & 1944. I reload, but took this stuff to the range one day just to see how it would do. EVERY ROUND went off, without fail. Here it was, 71 years after the fact, and a product of the good old days when we actually f*cking made something and gave a shit about it in this country worked as it should.

Chances are it was made by someone's grandmother also.....

- - - Updated - - -

Chances are it was made by someone's grandmother also.....

My friend had 45 reloads he got free from George who used to run Holbrook. We shot them...first one I shot I choked from the puff of smoke I got in the face. Was horrible lol.

I'm sure they are made with modern smokeless powder, as opposed to black powder. I shoot cast boolit reloads with a variety of lubes and some of them can be very smoky. When I shoot rapid fire reloads with Unique and beeswax/moly lubed reloads it looks like an 18th century battlefield.

The fact that they shoot low may because they are lightly charged. The fact that they shoot to the left if hard to blame on the reloads.

My friend had 45 reloads he got free from George who used to run Holbrook. We shot them...first one I shot I choked from the puff of smoke I got in the face. Was horrible lol.

I got some from Northeast Trading Post a couple years back and they were horrible. I used a few at an indoor range but it got so bad I had to use the rest outside.

I'm sure they are made with modern smokeless powder, as opposed to black powder. I shoot cast boolit reloads with a variety of lubes and some of them can be very smoky. When I shoot rapid fire reloads with Unique and beeswax/moly lubed reloads it looks like an 18th century battlefield.

The fact that they shoot low may because they are lightly charged. The fact that they shoot to the left if hard to blame on the reloads.

I have had a large shift in both windage and elevation changes in different loads with the same bullet.

Last edited by a moderator:

We had some empties hit the roof; others barely made it out of the ejection port. One went "click", then nothing - my dad cleared it, and looked at the headstamp; "1918....that was a good year!" (he was only 2 in '18....[laugh])

I agree with the consensus. When I started reloading I used mostly unique and bullseye - damn I was shooting mostly revolvers and it sure was messy, the clouds were pretty spectacular

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom