How To Build A Secure Room The Best Way?

It isn't super secure but check out the ( Swisher ESP Safety Shelter ) it is made and sold as a shelter for tornados. They come in sizes from 6 person up to 25.
Well that is interesting idea. Maybe a little pricey. Just how do you get the smallest one inside your house @ 84"W x 39"L x 80"H ?

A friend of mine has a setup like this. Cinderblock walls reinforced with rebar, drilled into the foundation and gaps filled with concrete. Poured concrete ceiling. Vault door delivered and installed. Seperate alarm zone and keypad. Cameras inside and out. Air exchanger, temp control and humidity control. Enviromental monitoring system. Access controlled outer steel door, a kill zone, and then the vault door. Same setup you would use in a gun museum. Guy owns a bunch of museum quality WW2 kraut stuff and some full autos. Thousands of pieces. Probably a $10M collection.

it all sounds great until you drop a pole over the power cable to the house to cut the power where it comes up to the surface. Then all it takes is me eating a mexican feast with my a**h*** over the air intake, assuming I don't put water hose into it (air intake, not my a**h***) And then there is blackmail/kidnapping. Your chain is only as strong as your weakest link.

it all sounds great until you drop a pole over the power cable to the house to cut the power where it comes up to the surface. Then all it takes is me eating a mexican feast with my a**h*** over the air intake, assuming I don't put water hose into it (air intake, not my a**h***) And then there is blackmail/kidnapping. Your chain is only as strong as your weakest link.

Depends... maybe he has a Don Minu escape hatch..... [laugh]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5OFIqr8nCI

Regarding the safe room, don't forget the ceiling.

If you have to dig the basement floor a little deeper to maintain headroom, so be it, but the safe room should have a ceiling of steel, rebar/mesh and concrete. No sense in a vault door if all they need to do is chainsaw through the kitchen floor.

You know FrogLube burns like the Dickens, right?

You'll think you were 12 again experimenting with toothpaste.

One, how do you know this of Frog Lube? And two, I am happy to say toothpaste never occurred to me. Coconut oil, now...

Regarding the safe room, don't forget the ceiling.

If you have to dig the basement floor a little deeper to maintain headroom, so be it, but the safe room should have a ceiling of steel, rebar/mesh and concrete. No sense in a vault door if all they need to do is chainsaw through the kitchen floor.

One, how do you know this of Frog Lube? And two, I am happy to say toothpaste never occurred to me. Coconut oil, now...

Honey, syrup, butter, cooking oil, hair products - nothing in the house was spared.

FrogLube smells like Mentholyptus = toothpaste = intense burning during the money shot.

I never used FrogLube off label but I can only imagine.

Give her a mint for a lesser effect.

There is also the story on the internet about the guy in boot camp who needed something special.

He used Ben Gay if I recall (another Mentholyptus offender). Legend had it that he woke up the whole platoon with is screams.

It's not meant to be a panic room. This guy has a custom made H&K MP5 in .357sig and full auto trigger pack, an MG3, MG-42, full auto AKs, a couple of UZIs, registered DIAS's, my fav being the .300 BLK + SBR. He's competitive in IDPA. This guy is mean and would not lock himself up and hide. His wife, kids, neighbors, and servants are all trained very well. The house is a fortress. If you hopped his wall he'd just let his 6 german shephards out. Retired army ranger.

It would probably be easier to assault a MSP evidence room.

Thanks. Looks similar to what I was thinking. Build some walls with cinder-blocks and put rebar and concrete into the gaps. Then face it with some 8x4 sheets of A36 steel. Then build 2x4 walls framing around that. Drywall it and then put a cheap outward swinging door to a commercial fire rated door that swings inward
What's the weight on that steel ?

Honey, syrup, butter, cooking oil, hair products - nothing in the house was spared.

FrogLube smells like Mentholyptus = toothpaste = intense burning during the money shot.

I never used FrogLube off label but I can only imagine.

Give her a mint for a lesser effect.

There is also the story on the internet about the guy in boot camp who needed something special.

He used Ben Gay if I recall (another Mentholyptus offender). Legend had it that he woke up the whole platoon with is screams.

Velamints are pretty cool. Just don't grab the Alka Seltzer tabs by mistake.

I live in a remote part of NH and I have started finishing off parts of my basement. One annoyance is every time I have contractors over here, they see everything I own and comment on it. It got me into thinking, I would like to have a small secure room dedicated to guns vs a gun safe. I don't think its a bad idea to also have a safe inside it. I'd like to be inconspicuous.

Has anyone ever build one and have any advice?
You could build what looks like a closet. When you open the doors there are gun safes and a reloading bench.

The doors don't need to be secure because everything behind it is in safes.

I had an appraiser come over for a refinance. I had everything hidden except the reloading stuff. Mother f*cker took a pic of the room in such an angle that you can see all my reloading presses and the wooden AR we bought in that group buy from Vietnam a few years back. F*ck. Oh well.

Last edited:
I live in a remote part of NH and I have started finishing off parts of my basement. One annoyance is every time I have contractors over here, they see everything I own and comment on it. It got me into thinking, I would like to have a small secure room dedicated to guns vs a gun safe. I don't think its a bad idea to also have a safe inside it. I'd like to be inconspicuous.

Has anyone ever build one and have any advice?
I helped install a vault door for a "safe room" in the midwest. It doubled as tornado shelter as well as guns/valuables storage area. I believe it was 14 x14 with the walls, floor, and ceiling reinforced poured concrete. Not sure what was used for reinforcement, i assume rebar. Very cool. Guy even ran a phone antenna/repeater inside of it so he could still use his cell phone.

Last edited:
Most banks don't have real vaults anymore unless they have safe deposit boxes and those are weak sauce.

Back when bearer bonds were a thing and people had to clip coupons to collect their dividends banks used to have massive safe deposit vaults because it was the only safe place to store those bonds. The real money stored in banks was never cash, bullion, or precious stones, but all those coupons.

When you think of all the manual accounting & filing labor, plus having to meet in person for various transactions/consultations, getting money for the week, making deposits, and all the time it took to clip and store coupons, that's why bank buildings used to be massive edifices. Now almost all of that is obsolete.

I worked for an armored car company back in the early 90’s. Been in many bank vaults. Pretty good stuff. But once inside it was mostly safety deposit boxes. The bank had their own for cash.

Most I ever had was $20-25 MILLION in ATM cash (tightly packed). Filled up the truck. Mostly $20’s. and heavy.

Always laughed at movies where the robber has a “light” bag of serious cash.

You sure? My wife’s bank is building a new branch. Slab poured and they are standing up the walls as of yesterday. I can tell you I can look right thru 100% of the building and there’s no vault yet. They better hurry up. 😂

From post 21:

Thursday at 6:43 PM

No one will break into a room that they can't find

[laugh]

i go with in-plain-sight for firearms storage. i don't have a safe. metal detector needed to find them.

if i had seriously valuable guns, i would reconsider options

If you’re hiring reputable contractors, you don’t have to worry about them
Robbing you. If they have crackhead helpers, hire someone else.

I would never leave guns in the basement, and I have central air. I did, once. You can for a short period of time but long term storage needs to be in climate controlled area.

Knew a guy who built a room and for the ceiling he used some of those steel plates that they put over the open holes in road construction, almost impossible to get through those.

Back
Top Bottom