How to fix light primer strikes on BG380?

As the title says, while shooting my bodyguard (non laser) this weekend I started getting light primer strikes. 4-7. Question is how to fix it without sending it to smith, seeing as every article I read people send them back 2-3 times and they're still not fixed. Maybe a combo of Galloway parts? I really want to get it 100% seeing it's one of my favorite CC. I'll be looking for a G42, LCP or p380 in the mean time if anyone knows anyone that's selling one in MA. Thanks

Where are you located? I have both BG's, never had a problem. Have heard a few stories, but quite often it may be ammo related. You haven't given us any details of the circumstances... Is it a new gun, how many rounds through it, has it been cleaned and oiled... etc. etc....

I had a BG380 for a short time and had a lot of issues with light primer strikes on some ammo (like self defense ammo). I sold it but mostly because I couldn't stand the trigger, which spanned two time zones.

Yeah check first that it's not the brand of ammo, but otherwise something could be causing the hammer to hang up or not fall as hard as it should.

Call S&W- they will send a shipping label, pick it up, fix it and ship it back for free no Q's asked.

As the title says, while shooting my bodyguard (non laser) this weekend I started getting light primer strikes. 4-7. Question is how to fix it without sending it to smith, seeing as every article I read people send them back 2-3 times and they're still not fixed. Maybe a combo of Galloway parts? I really want to get it 100% seeing it's one of my favorite CC. I'll be looking for a G42, LCP or p380 in the mean time if anyone knows anyone that's selling one in MA. Thanks

In most situations it is NOT light strikes! Look at your primers! Most have full indent!
There are some issues with hard primers on target ammo, mostly foreign stuff.
Carry ammo works great in these little pocket guns.
Do a search and read my REVIEW... here on NES

I have the BG380 with crimson trace laser, never had a light strike issue and I use cheap performer ammo from Wally World.

The only issue I don't like is the trigger, it's just too long of a pull and it's not clean. Not sure if I should pay for a trigger job or sell it.

It's is really small and concealable and a quite firearm you could tuck anywhere but I don't like the way it shoots.

I have a G42 which shoots really smooth compared to the BG, however it's a lot larger.

Anyone here had a trigger job done it and can state cost and improvements.

Be nice to compare one with a trigger job against mine.

I too like the PPK/S I'm keeping my eye out for one a deal.

harry

Last edited:
I have the BG380 with crimson trace laser, never had a light strike issue and I use cheap performer ammo from Wally World.

The only issue I don't like is the trigger, it's just too long of a pull and it's not clean. Not sure if I should pay for a trigger job or sell it.

It's is really small and concealable and a quite firearm you could tuck anywhere but I don't like the way it shoots.

I have a G42 which shoots really smooth compared to the BG, however it's a lot larger.

harry

Take a look at the Sig P238. Similar size profile to the Bodyguard, and has a nice, crisp single action trigger.

I have had some light strike with Winchester white box. But none with high quality carry ammo. Also added Galloway trigger. BIG difference. I did have a problem when I unscrewed set screw on laser while attempting to apply blue locktite. Screw stripped had to send it back to SW. So far so good but still have doubts about quality...

harry

I did the "do it yourself one" (can't remember who, but it is the one everyone talks about ??gallaway??) and it didn't lighten it much but it did shorten it a lot. I have noticed a few multiple hits needed with cheaper practice ammo, never have an issue with carry ammo though. Oh and the re-strike capability normally gets it on the second or third try

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I have the S&W BG380 and it is a great pocket carry gun!

I did a review on it here on NES

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...guard-Range-Review?highlight=bodyguard+review

Plus I did a follow up on the same post, scroll down to #25

As you can see from (pic#3) it is very small compared to the Full size M&P and the Shield!

I installed a Galloway trigger kit (pic#1) http://gallowayprecision.com/smith-and-wesson/bodyguard-380/

and the Williams Fire Sights (pic#2) http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Sight-Bodyguard-Fiber-Optic/dp/B00W4DTA4I

BGtrigger.jpg BGsights.jpg 3 grip back.jpg

Last edited:
I'd try self help before calling S&W. I had absolutely terrible customer service. I'm biased against Smith now. My bg380 was a box of fail, and I'd carry a hi point before another Smith, they truly pissed me off.

I have a bg380, and gave it a galloway trigger upgrade, much better than stock trigger. The gun inherently sensitive to certain ammo brands. Sig .380 seems to wirk most consistent and underwood carry ammo found to be most reliable. Fired over 1100 rds thru gun.

Knock wood, but no problems with mine. It's purely a "holy shit" gun so the loooooooooooooooong safety trigger doesn't bother me as I won't be trying to hit targets at the far end of the range.

I had a BG380 for a short time and had a lot of issues with light primer strikes on some ammo (like self defense ammo). I sold it but mostly because I couldn't stand the trigger, which spanned two time zones.

My friend transferred a BG380 with laser to me when I got my license. Same with a lot of light primer strikes, and agreed that the trigger is astonishingly long. Makes good form difficult, as it feels like your trigger finger is almost reaching your palm. The only reason I'm holding on to it is because it was free, and I figure if the zombie apocalypse kicks off, I can always give it to that one friend I only partially care about.

As far as your form adapt do a lot of dry fire practice,I've had my BG380 since 2015 and never had a ftf or a fte.nor a lite strike.
I had a J frame before this so the trigger was long on it also.

Might be the best method but with long particularly stiff triggers I hook my trigger finger right in there.
No finger tip squeeze dance - thats for shooting smaller groups at 25-50+ yards

Only light primer strikes i got ever were right after i installed a Glocktriggers kit on my G22. The trigger was much smoother and crisp, and was observing consistent light strikes. Put the oem trigger back in and flawless functioning gritty heavy trigger pull. Lesson learned, one and done with "trigger kits" for me.

Back
Top Bottom