How to get a deer to come to you........

that was pretty cool... My wife watched it as well asked me if it made me think twice about shooting them..... Nope.

I was just waiting for the crack of a rifle shot. That guy would have cried himself to death if that happened

That happened to me about 10 yeas ago in NY.

We were starting a drive and I was carrying a .44 mag. I was walking slowly through a brush lot and button buck was standing there looking at me. He didnt move and I slowly walked up to him as he sniffed and licked the air. I got was about arms length when he trotted off. I did have my gun up but just couldnt shoot him. Had tag filled already and would have used a doe tag on him. The next day the guy down the road shot him in the same field. "Did he let you get close? Kind of acting retarded or something?.."Yep and then I shot him..." Meat is meat I guess. But I prefer to "hunt" deer not "shoot" deer....

That happened to me about 10 yeas ago in NY.

We were starting a drive and I was carrying a .44 mag. I was walking slowly through a brush lot and button buck was standing there looking at me. He didnt move and I slowly walked up to him as he sniffed and licked the air. I got was about arms length when he trotted off. I did have my gun up but just couldnt shoot him. Had tag filled already and would have used a doe tag on him. The next day the guy down the road shot him in the same field. "Did he let you get close? Kind of acting retarded or something?.."Yep and then I shot him..." Meat is meat I guess. But I prefer to "hunt" deer not "shoot" deer....

He was improving the gene pool by harvesting the deer. natural selection and all that

He was improving the gene pool by harvesting the deer. natural selection and all that

True. That was discussed at cocktail hour that night as I related event. But I couldnt pull the trigger on my red hawk at point blank range. That deer was definately a little off....

That Deer was Retarded , did any of you see the scar on the head? Most Likely Traumatic Brain Injury . Poor thing needed to be put down and filled with marinade, Its the only way.

I had one do that to me on Anticosti Island. I believe it's do to inbreeding. This one looked normal though. The one that came up to me on Anticosti was a little odd looking. It's head was short and a little miss-shaped. I felt sorry for the thing. It kept following me around for awhile.

Video. Button buck just kinda walks up on him. He talks to it in annoying high pitched voice. Pets it. Moves on. We have a doe out in Burlington that's regularly in my yard. If you're moving slow you can walk right up to it. Pretty cool.

I believe a deer's fear of humans is learned, not instinctual. I had a button buck do the same thing to me while still hunting in NY. Walked right up to me and started to sniff my shirt pocket where I had a pack of cigarettes. No, they weren't Newports!!

That was disappointing. [thinking]

I was expecting something like this to happen...

exactly what this ghey thread needs;

Marisa-Tomei.jpg

Marisa-Tomei.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 4 point mule deer come at me when I was hunting in Colorado a few years ago. I was stalking an 8 point and this 4 point wouldn't get away from me. He would walk to me then scurry about 20 yards away making the 8 pointer run just a bit out of bow range. I kept telling him to get away, but he wouldn't listen. I never got close enough to the 8 point to shoot it. I saw them one more time and the 8 point just ran away. I swore if I saw them again I was shooting the 4 point, but I never did.
One of the guys I was hunting with had the 4 point do the same thing to him. I assume somebody shot him later. I ended up shooting a doe that year. It was just too early in the season when I saw him or he would have been in my freezer.

Up in the Tomhegan Camps in Rockwood ME, it is a deer sanctuary and you can hand feed the wild whitetails.

I have pics somewhere of my daughter hand feeding a doe.

I was expecting something like this to happen...

Every time I see that video I wonder how I'd do against that buck. You'd think you could get a few good uppercuts and right crosses in, but I can't imagine it's too easy to KO a big deer. [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I see that video I wonder how I'd do against that buck. You'd think you could get a few good uppercuts and right crosses in, but I can't imagine it's too easy to KO a big deer. [laugh]

Unless your name is Mongo.. probably just piss it off even more.

Best defense would probably be to simply crawl up into a fetal position, take your lumps and hope it losses interest before it caves your skull in.

Never fought a deer before, but I feel like I would try and tackle it to the ground instead of fending off its pussy punches. Grab its back legs, where is it gonna go? nowhere, thats where.

On second thought, good job on the camera(man or woman) who just kept filming and didnt help the guy. [laugh2]

Back
Top Bottom