How to learn (deer, etc)?

I am planning to take the Texas online course for "formal" education but assuming you don't have any friends or family that hunt that can show you the practical ropes, does anyone have any suggestions on other options to learn?

When I was green I read every issue of several magazines. North American Whitetail and Deer and Deer Hunting are good. Get a subscription. I'm sure there are websites that are good substitutes now.

Those are pretty good but first hand observation has taught me a lot. Even when you don't see them, observing the signs they leave behind tells you a lot.

I’m assuming you are in Texas.
Texas is a big state and hunting is a little different there than here.
Where in Texas do you plan to hunt?
Do you have access to a lease?
Rifle or bow?

It’s been decades since I hunted deer in Texas. Everything was out of a blind with a feeder about 75 yards out. I hunted the hill country area.

Also what @Penniepup1 said, get into the woods.

Join a Club. Let the experienced folks know that you want to learn.

If you are a Mass resident, remember that a LOT of the Mass HE course is about the laws, both Game and Firearm, that come into play, and you will NOT get that info in the TX course. The surprise that people show, when told that it's unlawful to carry a handgun when deer hunting, regardless of it saying, "Restrictions: None" is substantial.

There's a lot of DPRM stuff that you need to know.

YouTube has a ton of videos about deer habits and habitats. I would take in a couple of those. Then go scout and sit.

I’m assuming you are in Texas.
Texas is a big state and hunting is a little different there than here.
Where in Texas do you plan to hunt?
Do you have access to a lease?
Rifle or bow?

It’s been decades since I hunted deer in Texas. Everything was out of a blind with a feeder about 75 yards out. I hunted the hill country area.

Also what @Penniepup1 said, get into the woods.
Why do you think he's in Texas? Many many people take the tx online hunter Ed to get a hubting license in mass, nh, or whatever state. Simply because tx offers full online unlike mass. I know plenty of new hunters In mass that took their hunter Ed through tx online.

But yeah....what @MisterHappy said......if you take tx online better study the mass abstract well.

There's a lot of guys on YouTube that put out some pretty good content. The hunting beast. Hunting public channels are worth checking out

I was in this same position, and what has worked for me so far has been:

1) Watching Meat Eater (and any other videos with Steve Rinella)
2) Literally just going into the woods and trying to hunt, or if it's off season, just stalking deer. See if you can find them and take pictures of them, it's kind of like hunting in a way.

A lot of people talk about finding a mentor but my experience has been that its pretty difficult to get someone to commit to that kind of time sink, and often I find the people who are willing to do that are not always the people you want teaching you. So just figure out what kind of hunting you want to do, and just go do it.

I was in this same position, and what has worked for me so far has been:

1) Watching Meat Eater (and any other videos with Steve Rinella)
2) Literally just going into the woods and trying to hunt, or if it's off season, just stalking deer. See if you can find them and take pictures of them, it's kind of like hunting in a way.

A lot of people talk about finding a mentor but my experience has been that its pretty difficult to get someone to commit to that kind of time sink, and often I find the people who are willing to do that are not always the people you want teaching you. So just figure out what kind of hunting you want to do, and just go do it.
Be VERY careful doing this. Do NOT carry a sidearm - though it's not unlawful to walk in the woods with a handgun out of season, the Mass definition of "hunting" is extremely broad, and were an EPO to come upon you, it might not go well for you. Or, if you have a license, lawfully hunt another game species (see the abstracts) and look for deer while doing that.

I was out with a falconry group (buddy of mine had a bird), and I was hitting brush piles with a ski pole, in case there was a bunny for the hawk to chase. I was hunting without a license, said an EPO, (in a class, not in the field). But, he added, "We generally don't bother falconers -they're all crazy,"

I'm in a similar boat. Had taking the hunter ed course on my bucket list for a while. The Mass classes never seemed to be convenient and now during covid they are almost non existent it seems. Noticed Mass accepts out of state classes and found California has everything online. I banged out the class in the last two days and got my certificate. Picked up a sportman's license and am now like "OK, what now.....".

I'm thinking I would lean towards smaller game initially like rabbit or quail. Maybe look in to turkey's. Just trying to think if I had to hunt on my own, what would I be reasonably capable of dealing with myself if I had to.

I'm in a similar boat. Had taking the hunter ed course on my bucket list for a while. The Mass classes never seemed to be convenient and now during covid they are almost non existent it seems. Noticed Mass accepts out of state classes and found California has everything online. I banged out the class in the last two days and got my certificate. Picked up a sportman's license and am now like "OK, what now.....".

I'm thinking I would lean towards smaller game initially like rabbit or quail. Maybe look in to turkey's. Just trying to think if I had to hunt on my own, what would I be reasonably capable of dealing with myself if I had to.
Starting with Turley isn't too bad as long as you manage your expectations.

You need a cheap hen and Jake decoy set, a box call, and some good camo to start out with (or a blind). Only way to figure it out is try it and learn. I never had a mentor......bagged 5 turkeys since 2014 when I started hunting them. First year got nothing but being out there and trying I figured it out.

Just get out there and learn.

Back
Top Bottom