How to organize and store parts and accessories?

What do you folks find works well as a way to organize and store parts and accessories for your guns? If you're like me, you've probably accumulated a proliferation of items of various odd sizes and shapes for your rifles, shotguns and pistols: bayonets, ammo pouches, mags, clips, scope rings, tools, manuals, and all manner of accessory gadgets and widgets. Let's face it, we're basically living in satellite branches of our go-to shootin' shops. Many items tend to go with a particular gun, so it would be handy to keep such gun-specific items together. For a gun sold in a case--pistols being Exhibit A--often there's little extra room for much in the way of add-ons. Unless subject to regulatory requirements, these items don't need to take up space in a safe. You might not share my affliction with OCD (we all have our crosses to bear, it's just that mine is stored in its own cozy). What do you find works well for keeping things organized so you can put your hands on what you're looking for? Have you built shelves? Cabinets? Bought 'em at Home Depot or online? Do you buy cardboard boxes or plastic containers of certain types and sizes? Do you label things? Descriptions and tips are welcome; photos are helpful, too.

I have an old dresser that I use that was left in the house when we bought it. It's one of those older 70's-80's models, 5' wide x 2'deep x 3' tall. It has 9 equal draws that are great for storing items, and the top makes for a nice display area. I have drawers dedicated particular guns or categories, eg. non lethal, 1911, AR15, mags, documents, etc

I have a bunch of those AKRO storage bins that are stackable, I also have a metal shelf which I put some stuff on, and also a metal cabinet which holds a crap load of stuff. I use 5 gallon stackable pails to store brass, etc etc. It's good to work for a waste/transfer/recycling facility. I love free stuff! [smile]

I have a system...at least to me it is a system. I got divorced and use all the space the ex wife took up to keep my things. It is still disorganized and takes a while to find some things and occassionally I find things I forgot I had but it works for me.

I had a former bank president tell me, "Never hire or promote someone with a clean desk." Its true. The people with clean desks are narcissists that spend all their time preening while the messy people seem to be smarter and get more done in a day.

I had this exact issue, so I decided to build a cabinet. I didn't have an exact plan when I started the project, but as I went along I thought it looked a bit like an ammo crate so I embraced it. It got a bit out of hand and I spent more time and money than I wanted to, but it came out awesome!! I liked it so much I convinced the wife to let me put it out (it was originally going into a closet). Don't mind the girly stuff on top, it was part of the deal.
2011-11-17_07-25-25_672.jpg2011-11-17_07-25-37_678.jpg

Back
Top Bottom