• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to practice good situational awareness

quinnjalan

NES Member
I got a How to practice good situational awareness email at work today. Talked all about the what happened in DC and how to cover your 6, 3 and 9, etc. Thanks, but I have that covered. Besides the only situational awareness most folks in my office are worried about is where is the closest dunks!

I have no need. I have a bad-ass hat, and dark wrap-around shades.

After Walter White, I am the danger.

Much easier than keeping your head on a swivel.

OP: gotta ask - where do you work, that you get that sort of education, as opposed to sensitivity training?
It's a big company... about 70,000 worldwide. We get all manner of training.... sensitivity also. The company prides itself on its safety record.

1. Buy a motorcycle. 2. Watch the last episode of Sopranos. 3. Always sit with your back to the wall and everyone in front of you. 4. Always assess your entry and exit. 5. Have a plan on how to kill every motherf***er around you if shit goes down. 6. Always carry concealed.

1. Buy a motorcycle. 2. Watch the last episode of Sopranos. 3. Always sit with your back to the wall and everyone in front of you. 4. Always assess your entry and exit. 5. Have a plan on how to kill every motherf***er around you if shit goes down. 6. Always carry concealed.
Not sure about the motorcycle. Maybe a big ole Dodge Polara instead

View: https://youtu.be/-Huxk-gURco?t=261

General awareness is a good thing and we can all work toward "better" awareness but situational awareness is not often something achieved by the lone person. Your "situation" as a commonly accepted term is much more encompassing that what most people give it credit of being. That said, we can improve our awareness by getting our heads out of tech (gadgets) and pay attention to what is developing around us. Of course, what we see does very little if we do not have the experience or knowledge to realize how those things effect or potentially effect our personal safety. I agree that many things regarding the avoidance of danger is rather innate but to truly be proficient in life-safety type observation, you need training. So, in short.. if you want to improve your general awareness routine, get some training. Until then, get your head out of your phone...turn off the buds in your ears, be present in the moment and give yourself the occasion to actually notice meaningful elements within your surroundings.

Thread title says "How to practice good situational awareness".

I Iearned nothing about good sotuation awareness from the OP.

cool-story-bro.jpg

It’s pretty amazing just how clueless the average person is about their surroundings. Situational and self awareness is something that lacks in most people.

That’s why I’ve never worried about printing. Unless your a smoke show walking around in yoga pants nobody is checking out your waistline.

General awareness is a good thing and we can all work toward "better" awareness but situational awareness is not often something achieved by the lone person. Your "situation" as a commonly accepted term is much more encompassing that what most people give it credit of being. That said, we can improve our awareness by getting our heads out of tech (gadgets) and pay attention to what is developing around us. Of course, what we see does very little if we do not have the experience or knowledge to realize how those things effect or potentially effect our personal safety. I agree that many things regarding the avoidance of danger is rather innate but to truly be proficient in life-safety type observation, you need training. So, in short.. if you want to improve your general awareness routine, get some training. Until then, get your head out of your phone...turn off the buds in your ears, be present in the moment and give yourself the occasion to actually notice meaningful elements within your surroundings.
Unless you have a hearing aid then your stuck with tech

You don’t need to learn how to have situational awareness, you need to learn the need for situational awareness

The very first article that I ever wrote, back in 2004, was for Combat Handguns on this very subject:

Brother.. a persons proficiency in regard to "awareness" and all the processes that go along with assessing risk can be greatly improved with training. Training, knowledge, experiences are often much more important than simple instinct. Anyone can intentionally look around in an attempt to gather information but what you do with it, how you perceive it, can make all the difference. As they say.. you dont know what you - dont know.

You can learn the need to be safe with a chainsaw but you then LEARN how to be safe. Being cognizant of the "need" does not grant knowledge on how to achieve the need.

People generally suck at being aware and when they purposefully make an effort to be more aware, they often suffer from information overload and static due to a focus on everything rather than the right things. You can easily learn to manage this process by receiving some training. There is a certain methodology to observing and surveying your surroundings which has been developed over thousands of years. A person is not likely to know about it if they do not seek the knowledge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom