• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to reduce standard deviation?

If I'm reading you correctly, the Tricketts are saying the 80-82's take wind better, but the 77's are generally a more accurate bullet. Meaning, a good wind reader may score higher with the lighter bullets. I 100% agree with that. Especially here in New England where we rarely ever see more than 2 minutes of wind.
I know several High Masters who run mag-length 77's all the way.
On that lines it was a general sitting around conversation.
I cant remember another gent from reading who let me shoot his rifle and ammo and my score was the same as my set up. He was shooting well into the 90% range. So he basically said its you not the guns or ammo.
Im so rusty now and only shoot at SR target at 200 yards with a 3 moa 10 ring and struggle to keep prone slow in that 10,ring!
I have fun shooting even if I dont score well

Masters who run mag-length 77's all the way
the harvard i shoot at has up to 300yds range only, and i think the 1:8 twist i got should benefit 69gn bullet better for that distance than 77gn. latter probably would be way better for 600 and beyond, but i do not have such distances to deal with at this moment.
i also know that this barrel was exceptionally good with 69gn specifically, but i need to check my stash to find that specific load i used to benchmark with.
i mean - this good - that is the benchmark i want to get to. that was after barrel brake-in, may be 1-2 hundred rounds in.
if it just got ruined now and that accuracy is gone forever, then, so be it, c'est la vie. but i do not think so, at least, not yet.
1638041881824.png

Last edited:
the harvard i shoot at has up to 300yds range only, and i think the 1:8 twist i got should benefit 69gn bullet better for that distance than 77gn. latter probably would be way better for 600 and beyond, but i do not have such distances to deal with at this moment.
i also know that this barrel was exceptionally good with 69gn specifically, but i need to check my stash to find that specific load i used to benchmark with.
i mean - this good - that is the benchmark i want to get to. that was after barrel brake-in, may be 1-2 hundred rounds in.
if it just got ruined now and that accuracy is gone forever, then, so be it, c'est la vie. but i do not think so, at least, not yet.
View attachment 546410
Now instead of a small group
Put up 10 1” dots and get 10 out of 10

1/8 should be fine for anything
Some lighter bullets with thin jackets may not survive high velocity in a faster twist.

Back
Top Bottom