• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to take a gun away from your attacker

Just wanted to share this video for everyone's benefit. It's comprehensive view on how to disarm a determined attacker in an explosive, critical and dynamic manner.

[video=youtube_share;H54Zan6myWw]http://youtu.be/H54Zan6myWw[/video]

Just wanted to share this video for everyone's benefit. It's comprehensive view on how to disarm a determined attacker in an explosive, critical and dynamic manner.

[video=youtube_share;H54Zan6myWw]http://youtu.be/H54Zan6myWw[/video]

46 minute video. Didn't make it through the intro...

Seems to me if you're holding on to it while stepping aside from the "blast" the action cycling is going to do a bit of damage to your hand, might not be able to hold on to it at all/

Those techniques work great with a compliant training partner in static pre-planned positions.

I'd like to see how well they hold up in a FOF exercise with a resisting opponent.

Those techniques work great with a compliant training partner in static pre-planned positions.

I'd like to see how well they hold up in a FOF exercise with a resisting opponent.

This.
I'd like to see a test against an aggressive opponent.

My training for this situation is to avoid it in the first place.
Retreat seems smarter than antagonizing and encouraging a discharge of a weapon at near point blank.

Chris

If you can grab the gun before it discharges wouldn't pulling it forward out of the hand create more of a chance of discharge. When I was 18 I went with my father for his annual gun qualification course for his department. We were shown how disarm someone with a gun or knife. To get the gun it was cross move, grab the slide or cylinder with left hand at the same time you hit the wrist with the right hand in a cross like move. There were a few others that would break the trigger finger when you did it but those are escaping me now.

I saw all I needed to at the 2:48 point, where he "wrestles" the gun way, and then points it at the attacker with his strong-side thumb wrapped behind the slide. In case you think that's just a one-off "mis-grab" of the gun, he does it again at 3:01.

And....we're done.

I saw all I needed to at the 2:48 point, where he "wrestles" the gun way, and then points it at the attacker with his strong-side thumb wrapped behind the slide. In case you think that's just a one-off "mis-grab" of the gun, he does it again at 3:01.

And....we're done.

I believe that was his support hand thumb. When disarming a mugger, skinning your thumb with the slide is the least of your concerns. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Rule number one of handgun retention/disarm training: never, ever use a real gun.

I've only watched the first ten minutes or so, but he was demonstrating three different techniques for the same situation - grab the gun near the hand, grab the wrist, and grab the front of the gun.

IMO, this is not the sort of situation where more choices are better. Learn one technique and learn it well.

I believe that was his support hand thumb. When disarming a mugger, skinning your thumb with the slide is the least of your concerns. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water.

First, it was his strong hand thumb. He tells you early on, and you see in the video, that he's right handed.

Second, it's not about skinning your thumb. You could hand me a pistol in the same seconds I wake up from a medically-induced coma and my hands will automatically grip the weapon correctly. Nothing special, just muscle memory that comes from repetition. When I see that lack of it in a "trainer," I have to wonder why he's so unpracticed in weapon handling.

First, it was his strong hand thumb. He tells you early on, and you see in the video, that he's right handed.

Second, it's not about skinning your thumb. You could hand me a pistol in the same seconds I wake up from a medically-induced coma and my hands will automatically grip the weapon correctly. Nothing special, just muscle memory that comes from repetition. When I see that lack of it in a "trainer," I have to wonder why he's so unpracticed in weapon handling.

When you grab the slide of the attacker's gun with your right hand, you would acquire a grip with your left (weak) hand.

Misunderstanding of the basics aside, it's not really fair to fault a tier one hand-to-hand instructor for rough gun handling. You wouldn't criticize Rob Pincus for being unable to execute a perfect roundhouse kick, would you?

1. He takes the gun away with his right hand in a sweep/grab, then steps back and engages the attacker from a two handed grip with his strong-side thumb behind the slide. Twice. That's a major fail in basic gun-handling, which makes me question anything else he has to offer.
2. When did this guy suddenly become "tier 1," and by whose definition?
3. I'm talking about a basic skill that should be so engrained in any experienced professional that you cannot do it wrong. There's a world of difference between presenting a pistol like you've never seen one before and not landing a complicated, choreographed maneuver like a roundhouse kick. Come on, you're being disingenuous. Even you can see those are not analogous acts.

Back
Top Bottom