How to use Hodgdon load data..........?

TZCHRIS

NES Member
Looking for data on 9mm Luger.

Powder - IMR SR 4756
Bullet - X-Treme 124gr RN

It looks like everyone says to use data for lead bullets as a starting point. I put my info in the Hodgdon reloading data center as a triple check and now I'm confused. They dont have a lot of options on bullet type so I tried both 124 & 125 gr and this is what I got. The starting loads of 3.9 and 4.9 seems like a huge difference, is this due to the COL or the bullet type or both?

I was going to use 4.9 gr MIN and 5.4 MAX with a 1.150 COL from my previous research.

Any help on using this powder and bullet combo would be great, sometimes I overthink things but when it comes to reloading I think thats ok...........

1629407795367.png

Lee 50 says 4.9 -> 5.4 @ 1.150" for a copper plated RN @ 124g,
totally matches your first result.
Doesn't seem like much velocity delta over the loading range. I think
the plated RNs top out at 1250fps

Last edited:
It's all about volume. The top bullet has a hollow base and is loaded to a much longer COAL. The pressure on all three is almost the same.
I ended up with tons of XTreme bullets from an auction, and, no pun intended, its Xtreme-ly hard to find data as a starting point. I like to get things as perfect as possible.
Thanks, Chris

I ended up with tons of XTreme bullets from an auction, and, no pun intended, its Xtreme-ly hard to find data as a starting point. I like to get things as perfect as possible.
Thanks, Chris
Yeah. It's wicked hard to find. I just went to their site, typed "MANUAL" into the search box, then downloaded this.

Attachments

• XTREME-RELOADING-MANUAL.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 40
I use Xtreme bullets more than any other brand and I either use lead or berry's load data as a starting point. Works great. For the seating depth, you can always start with Max OAL for the cartridge and shorten it up if you need to (watching for pressure signs)

Yeah. It's wicked hard to find. I just went to their site, typed "MANUAL" into the search box, then downloaded this.
Lol, see, you learn something new every day!
I guess I was stuck on using the powder web sites and it never crossed my mind to go to the bullet manufacturer!
Makes sense. Thanks.

Heres another head exploder-

You can also use a lymans book for plated, greased and coated lead. Grab a booklet and it has all kinds of fun stuff thats not listed in a full manual.
You can use jacketed pistol data for plated/coated/greased lead up to 1100 fps. Discovered that in a Hornady book one day.
Sierra has some good stuff in an app-

1629459303744.png 1629459318256.png

Lol, see, you learn something new every day!
I guess I was stuck on using the powder web sites and it never crossed my mind to go to the bullet manufacturer!
Makes sense. Thanks.
Bullet manufactures should have some data available.
If not you can call the powder manufactures , give them the details and they can guide you

You ALWAYS get the best data from the bullet manufacturer.
I will start there in the future, thanks.
I almost didn't ask because I was afraid of getting blasted for a stupid question but then I saw the recent question on how to flip over primers, lol
I guess if you dont know, you have to start somewhere.
It would be great if someone could make buying powder easier, I see it now and then but I only load 223 and small pistol. How do I get a list of powders that will work so when I find it I can make a quick decision to purchase?

I almost didn't ask because I was afraid of getting blasted for a stupid question but then I saw the recent question on how to flip over primers, lol

It would be great if someone could make buying powder easier, I see it now and then but I only load 223 and small pistol. How do I get a list of powders that will work so when I find it I can make a quick decision to purchase?

It has to be an outrageously stupid question to get blasted in this sub-forum. I've asked plenty of em myself.

Powders that work- Ask around at matches and shoots or here. Its a good way to narrow down whats reliable. Availability also plays a big part. Once you find a powder you like, buy several pounds or a jug of it.

How do I get a list of powders that will work so when I find it I can make a quick decision to purchase?
Buy as many manuals as you can find and look at the load data. Certain pistol powders are pretty versatile (Power Pistol), or have been around so long that someone's tried them in almost every caliber (Unique and Bullseye).

Back
Top Bottom