• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How vital is scent control?

What's a "thermal" and a "corridor"?
Thermals = in simple terms, the movement of air in the mornings and evenings based on temperature swings.
Corridor = I really meant to say pinch point but again.....semantics

Thermals = in simple terms, the movement of air in the mornings and evenings based on temperature swings.
Corridor = I really meant to say pinch point but again.....semantics
How do you put thermals to use?

How do you “use” the weather to your advantage?

Sometimes I wonder why your pantries are so bunched up. There are a few others here who don’t have their noses sticking up like you. It would be best to take them as a pattern.
Wow.

No panties in a bunch on my end. I asked a question that I honestly don't know the answer to. I've never used thermals or corridors or anything that was posted here. Just trying to learn dude.

Have you seen your hypocrisy yet?
What are you taking about?

Play the wind means keep the wind in your face.....that's all I have ever worried about and that's how my uncle's did it. Never worried about my scent other than keeping wind in my face.....the sprays and detergents are useless is all I'm saying.

Never used thermals or knew anyone that used that word. Asked what thermals are and what to do with thermals.......and you say i have my panties in a bunch. What is different about thermals vs regular wind is what I'm asking about. You said thermals are how temp changes in the morning vs night effect where scent goes or something like that......I'm asking how that works and what to do about it.

Last edited:
I’ve been focusing a bit on ridges, winds, thermals, and corridors recently. It seems based on all your feedback and those many YT vids that it is the way to go. I’m gonna KISS on this and pick those types of spots, day of, with a piece of yarn on my muzzle and milkweed seeds in my pocket-sized container.

One thing it took me a while to get is that the deer needs to think that the wind is in their favor.

This generally means that you are hunting an off wind where the wind isn’t in your face. In these situations you need to know where your scent is going and plan your shooting lanes where you get your shot opportunities before the deer hits your scent stream.

You need to plan for that thermal shift at the end of the day when the breeze drops off and it gets still. This is where you keep dropping milkweed to make sure that you know where your scent stream is going.

How do you put thermals to use?

Here is a pretty good article make sure that you read the rest of it.

Bob

DEER STAND STRATEGIES FOR BEATING THERMALS
The trick to beating thermals for both morning and evening hunting opportunities, is to make sure that your deer stand strategies cover you for hunting multiple wind directions for multiple stand sites, in one location. Do your broken terrain, hill country setups pass the test?

There are 3 basic thermal strategies that have worked well for me since first hunting the 600-700' elevation changes of Northern PA in 1993. The morning, evening and side hill thermal strategies I use have been learned the hard way for every year since, and I now enjoy using them to beat a mature buck's nose in both Wisconsin, Ohio and any other hilly state my travels take me. If you have hills where you hang your deer stands then count yourself lucky, because nothing describes a mature buck's habitat better, than broken and tough terrain.

i-PDpB39v-X5.jpg

*Is your stand made in the USA with USA steel, rubber coated chain to hold the platform up, two 800# ratchet straps, a T screw mounting system and a giant seat? Then make sure to check out, Family Tradition Treestands.

3 BASIC WHITETAIL THERMAL STRATEGIES
If you can master these 3 basic strategies for beating a mature buck's nose, then you are well on your way to setting up killer stand locations that you can count on for hunting multiple wind directions, every single season. I strongly encourage you to watch the video at the top of this article, to make sure that you receive the important details for beating multiple thermal types with multiple stand locations, in one spot.

Read the rest:
Deer Stand Strategies For Beating Thermals

What are you taking about?

Play the wind means keep the wind in your face.....that's all I have ever worried about and that's how my uncle's did it. Never worried about my scent other than keeping wind in my face.....the sprays and detergents are useless is all I'm saying.

Never used thermals or knew anyone that used that word. Asked what thermals are and what to do with thermals.......and you say i have my panties in a bunch. What is different about thermals vs regular wind is what I'm asking about. You said thermals are how temp changes in the morning vs night effect where scent goes or something like that......I'm asking how that works and what to do about it.
Listen, I’m certainly reading you wrong then and I apologize for that. It appeared to me that you knew what those terms were already and were in some way trying to correct me in proper usage. Countenance, inflection, and tone are not easily conveyed or received in threads sometimes. Sorry.

Listen, I’m certainly reading you wrong then and I apologize for that. It appeared to me that you knew what those terms were already and were in some way trying to correct me in proper usage. Countenance, inflection, and tone are not easily conveyed or received in threads sometimes. Sorry.
I have no idea how a thermal works.....was trying to get an answer on it.

One thing it took me a while to get is that the deer needs to think that the wind is in their favor.

This generally means that you are hunting an off wind where the wind isn’t in your face. In these situations you need to know where your scent is going and plan your shooting lanes where you get your shot opportunities before the deer hits your scent stream.

You need to plan for that thermal shift at the end of the day when the breeze drops off and it gets still. This is where you keep dropping milkweed to make sure that you know where your scent stream is going.

Here is a pretty good article make sure that you read the rest of it.

Bob

DEER STAND STRATEGIES FOR BEATING THERMALS
The trick to beating thermals for both morning and evening hunting opportunities, is to make sure that your deer stand strategies cover you for hunting multiple wind directions for multiple stand sites, in one location. Do your broken terrain, hill country setups pass the test?

There are 3 basic thermal strategies that have worked well for me since first hunting the 600-700' elevation changes of Northern PA in 1993. The morning, evening and side hill thermal strategies I use have been learned the hard way for every year since, and I now enjoy using them to beat a mature buck's nose in both Wisconsin, Ohio and any other hilly state my travels take me. If you have hills where you hang your deer stands then count yourself lucky, because nothing describes a mature buck's habitat better, than broken and tough terrain.

i-PDpB39v-X5.jpg

*Is your stand made in the USA with USA steel, rubber coated chain to hold the platform up, two 800# ratchet straps, a T screw mounting system and a giant seat? Then make sure to check out, Family Tradition Treestands.

3 BASIC WHITETAIL THERMAL STRATEGIES
If you can master these 3 basic strategies for beating a mature buck's nose, then you are well on your way to setting up killer stand locations that you can count on for hunting multiple wind directions, every single season. I strongly encourage you to watch the video at the top of this article, to make sure that you receive the important details for beating multiple thermal types with multiple stand locations, in one spot.

Read the rest:
Deer Stand Strategies For Beating Thermals
I’ve seen a ton of vids from that guy. Very skilled. Watched this one yesterday that was very helpful for a ridge I’m scoping out.

If you are regularly in the woods and the deer smell the same stink, they will be used to it and not be spooked by it. That said, the rut changes everything and all bets are off. Don't overthink things and stay quiet. Then again, some big bruisers have been taken by noobs going into the woods late in the morning when others are headed out for lunch or going to work etc.

Good luck.

If you are regularly in the woods and the deer smell the same stink, they will be used to it and not be spooked by it. That said, the rut changes everything and all bets are off. Don't overthink things and stay quiet. Then again, some big bruisers have been taken by noobs going into the woods late in the morning when others are headed out for lunch or going to work etc.

Good luck.
Does the rut end by shotgun season in MA?

A good point made by Fixxah stay put around lunch time bring a sandwich for the stand I have killed deer because guys bumped them heading out late morning noon for lunch.
I have the benefit of doing several all days sits this season but man does that take perseverance.

Enjoy your ride. I used hunt both those blocks. The Archery season is open so be aware of that.

Ride's done. Only critters in evidence: an abundance of squirrels. No deer seen, so (a) they could smell me - not unlikely as I could smell me [grin] (b) they know it's bow season, or (c) both.

One bowhunter - spoke to him on the way out. He didn't see anything, either.

Obligatory photos:
20191015_073600.jpg

20191015_075545-PANO.jpg

Good luck.

Deer in big woods have many options when an area is polluted with scent.

They can go totally nocturnal keeping same core area but using it at night only.

They can bed further back away from food areas and travel more arriving at night.

They can pattern you....ie Mark only hunts from 8-10 am everyday. Deer willfeed and be bedded before 8 am, and get up midday for a snack.

They can move to a different core area that has good food/water/bedding. If pressured they will move where a safe bed/food/ core area with mimimum travel exposure is found.

The rut throws a monkey wrench into this and deer get pushed around by bucks chasing does. They end up in weird places and thats where the guy who just walked in the woods with no scouting and shoots a booner being in the right place at the right time.

Pressure- another monkey wrench. Deer find a perfect low pressure low travel high food area. They hang out there most of hunting season after getting their season whiff of man. Now some guy walks thru that area and spooks them all over. Again, another non scouter total lucky scenario as they get pushed out.

All sorts of scenarios and you generally cant kill a deer from the couch. The more your out there the better.

That's waaaay to open for deer. They want security cover. Anyone hunting in that kind of timber is in for a long boring sit.
This is a spot deep in the forest I found by chance. No google earth views revealed this spot. My kinda spot. So you see a tree stand in that far right oak? There will be one soon!
380339AE-5877-41B1-91F6-37C377CF5403.png CDFFC641-AD79-4B1C-92DF-55381C9B5F50.png E2B9566E-CF56-4CA7-AA62-E3CCBEAC65F5.png

That's waaaay to open for deer. They want security cover. Anyone hunting in that kind of timber is in for a long boring sit.

Most of Southern CT is big open hardwoods. Ive killed lots of deer in woods like this. The deer have eaten the low cover. The key is its unpressured private land and there is a high deer population.
I will say that a thicker area is usually near that type of a patch of woods as a bedding area. If they are not pressured they will eat acorns in open woods alot.

Wanted to chime in on this: yesterday I had to tend a trailcam I had set up on a deer path. I was pretty antsy about checking it as I have pictures of a nice 8 pointer on it and he's my goal for opening weekend, none the less, the batteries weren't going to make it that far.

I sprayed down with scent killer, boots, pants, shirt, the whole 9 yards, I swung in, replaced the batteries, and swung out. Last night my camera shot back images of two deer sniffing the exact spots I walked through. They were meticulous in following my trail in, a circle I did around a tree, and my exit route.

My moral here is: even with scent killer gold they knew very well where I was.

This is a spot deep in the forest I found by chance. No google earth views revealed this spot. My kinda spot. So you see a tree stand in that far right oak? There will be one soon!

Nope.

I’d be looking hard at that far left one if it is a safe tree to climb and I wouldn't climb high using the pine as cover to break up my outline. Based on picture and of course subject to wind.

You need to think about cover. Think about the rising and setting sun and put it to your back if possible. Don’t skyline yourself.

Bob

Wanted to chime in on this: yesterday I had to tend a trailcam I had set up on a deer path. I was pretty antsy about checking it as I have pictures of a nice 8 pointer on it and he's my goal for opening weekend, none the less, the batteries weren't going to make it that far.

I sprayed down with scent killer, boots, pants, shirt, the whole 9 yards, I swung in, replaced the batteries, and swung out. Last night my camera shot back images of two deer sniffing the exact spots I walked through. They were meticulous in following my trail in, a circle I did around a tree, and my exit route.

My moral here is: even with scent killer gold they knew very well where I was.

Amazing critters.

Bob

Nope.

I’d be looking hard at that far left one if it is a safe tree to climb and I wouldn't climb high using the pine as cover to break up my outline. Based on picture and of course subject to wind.

You need to think about cover. Think about the rising and setting sun and put it to your back if possible. Don’t skyline yourself.

Bob
I see what your saying. The sun rises right behind that far left one. Winds are typically SSW. There is a high canopy with very little sun getting through after the first half of the day. All bets are off once the leaves fall but there are a few large Eastern White Pines.

To the far far left is surrounded by more clear oaks. Those would be facing directly south in the north corner of this fern patch with the sun moving from your low left to low right due to pre-solstice. Winds would again typically be SSW coming pretty much at you but thermals in the morning would be rising up to your left from the lower elevation and water body below. To the right it’s dense hemlocks, pines, birch and a rising elevation. It’s more dense around this spot than what the picture shows.

I still need to study it more for sure.

I see what your saying. The sun rises right behind that far left one. Winds are typically SSW. There is a high canopy with very little sun getting through after the first half of the day. All bets are off once the leaves fall but there are a few large Eastern White Pines.

To the far far left is surrounded by more clear oaks. Those would be facing directly south in the north corner of this fern patch with the sun moving from your low left to low right due to pre-solstice. Winds would again typically be SSW coming pretty much at you but thermals in the morning would be rising up to your left from the lower elevation and water body below. To the right it’s dense hemlocks, pines, birch and a rising elevation. It’s more dense around this spot than what the picture shows.

I still need to study it more for sure.
Is this public or private land?

Public land. A place I would say would be a refuge for deer fleeing the shotgunners.

My grandpa went out in the field wearing his work jeans and a vest, no spray.

I was just thinking before I read that - a book on hunting (Like Shooters Guide to Hunting or something) was talking about mule deer hunting out west. Author said he wore a plaid shirt and jeans. Because he's always waist-deep in sage or something and the plaid alone "broke up his outline enough." He didn't have any trouble with deer, so I guess it worked.

Public land. A place I would say would be a refuge for deer fleeing the shotgunners.
Good luck to you....seriously.

Manage your expectations though. Don't be too surprised if you show up opening day and there are a few hunters that already busted your spot. It happens all the time. My advice is opening day of shotgun get in there WAY before sunup.

I was just thinking before I read that - a book on hunting (Like Shooters Guide to Hunting or something) was talking about mule deer hunting out west. Author said he wore a plaid shirt and jeans. Because he's always waist-deep in sage or something and the plaid alone "broke up his outline enough." He didn't have any trouble with deer, so I guess it worked.
I've had does walk within 5 feet of me when I was wearing an orange vest a green sweatshirt and jeans. I wasn't even trying to hide......just sitting on a rock in the open. Of course I had already used my antlerless tag or one of those does would have been in the truck.

Back
Top Bottom