• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Howard Leight Hearing Protection

Does anyone have experience with this particular pair of earmuffs? They seem to be right about where I want to be in terms of features vs. price. I'm currently using plain old foam plugs, but would like to upgrade. These would be primarily for the outdoor range/hunting. For indoors I would use both the muffs and the foam plugs.

Also for long guns, is the low profile design really better, or will they still be in the way?

They have received a lot of praise on the Cabelas reviews, but I'd thought I ask some people who really know this stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20801&hasJS=true

Last edited:
Matt, I started with a set of Leight L3 passive earmuffs (30 db NR) shooting pistol indoors. They are bulky but effective, even better with foam plugs in tandem. Shooting rifle, I found the L3's too bulky and they would interfere with the stock.

I got a set of Peltor Shotgunners, a passive earmuf (21 db NR) with a very low profile, especially below the ear. They are very similar in style to the set you are considering. Plenty of clearance for the stock, and when there is no contact, there is less noise transmitted to the muffs. I'm pleased with them.

With a set of plugs underneath, the Shotgunners protect well, even with a .308 blasting away in the next lane. Shooting outdoors, you may be able to go with the muffs alone. For the money, they seem to be a good buy. [wink]

That looks like a good deal. 350 hour battery life is impressive, and they shut off automatically after 4 hours. They look pretty slim and should be good for use with long guns, but your physical build and the way you mount your rifle will be the determining factor.

If you go for them post back your experience. I'm always looking for a good pair of reasonably priced ear protectors. [grin]

I have two pairs of them. I bought them brand new off of ebay. I paid $54 WITH shipping. They also have a line-in. I plug my mp3 player in and use and mp3 of the range commands for bullseye practice.

You won't be disappointed. They work great. As eisenhow said, the inline plug is a plus. I listen to music when I'm at the range by myself.

I have 2 pairs, one is the huge cans and the other is the folders. They are both very good, i double plug the smaller ones when indoors.

Just a follow up, I got these as a Christmas present. Although I've never owned any other electronic muffs, these do everything they promised. The sound amplification is strong and clear, as long as you don't turn the volume up too high. If you do then there is a noticeable hiss. My father could not hear this even with the volume all the way up though so it also depends on your hearing.
The "in" line works good with my Ipod, they are comfortable and shouldering a long gun was not a problem.
Oh yeah they also did a fine job of quieting things down on the outdoor range. Indoors, I'll still add foam plugs underneath. All in all I'm happy with them and think they are a solid value.

Back
Top Bottom