HSC Rifle match this weekend

Posting this here because the rifle forum is typically not active. Anyone know of any restrictions on ammo/rifles for this weekend's match?

Posting this here because the rifle forum is typically not active. Anyone know of any restrictions on ammo/rifles for this weekend's match?

The usual: no steel core ammo on stages with steel targets. Preferably, no steel core ammo at all, just to avoid mistakes. We'll have a magnet checking the ammo on any stages using steel targets (I think that's only 1 stage, but that's not official).

That would mean any 62 grain military ammo with the penetrator core, plus the usual S&B ammo, plus whatever else is out there that's similar. Note we're *not* talking about ammo with steel cases, just any steel in the bullet itself.

Any more details about the match? How many rounds? Just rifle + pistol?

rifle only

not sure about this year but they've done 5 or 6 stages the last few years. The last 3 years ranged from ~120-160 rounds, I'd bring twice that.

They often use reduced size USPSA targets to keep it from being a complete hose fest.

Any more details about the match? How many rounds? Just rifle + pistol?

We'll discuss the match more at tomorrow's after-practice dinner. Details to follow...

The one thing that is certain is that the farthest shot will be no more than 65 yards, as we're only using the pistol pits and the 65 yard range.

Last edited:
Still no go for me.... lower back situition is still not good at all ( surgery likely from the 2 Dr's I've seen )

Wanted to run the Tavor for the hell of it.[sad2]

The usual: no steel core ammo on stages with steel targets. Preferably, no steel core ammo at all, just to avoid mistakes. We'll have a magnet checking the ammo on any stages using steel targets (I think that's only 1 stage, but that's not official).

That would mean any 62 grain military ammo with the penetrator core, plus the usual S&B ammo, plus whatever else is out there that's similar. Note we're *not* talking about ammo with steel cases, just any steel in the bullet itself.
In the past that has meant no russian steel cased ammo on steel stages since all the wolf/tula/etc has some steel in the jacket. Too bad since i want to shoot my AK in an action match.

They haven't cared in the past on stages with no steel.

In the past that has meant no russian steel cased ammo on steel stages since all the wolf/tula/etc has some steel in the jacket. Too bad since i want to shoot my AK in an action match.

They haven't cared in the past on stages with no steel.

We're only going to check on a stage with steel, which I *think* means the rifle pit only. Again, this isn't official.

Any bullet with either a steel core or jacket will/can go right through a steel plate, so we really don't have a choice in the matter. I understand the issue with AKs, but there's not much we can do about it.

- - - Updated - - -

We'll discuss the match more at tomorrow's after-practice dinner. Details to follow...

The one thing that is certain is that the farthest shot will be no more than 65 yards, as we're only using the pistol pits and the 65 yard range.

Current thinking is 5 paper stages and one steel stage. Probably about 24 rounds on the paper stages, with substantially less on the steel stage.

I'll post more tomorrow night when the actual layouts are decided.

- - - Updated - - -

They often use reduced size USPSA targets to keep it from being a complete hose fest.

Hmmm. Thanks, I'd forgotten about those. [smile]

We're only going to check on a stage with steel, which I *think* means the rifle pit only. Again, this isn't official.

Any bullet with either a steel core or jacket will/can go right through a steel plate, so we really don't have a choice in the matter. I understand the issue with AKs, but there's not much we can do about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Current thinking is 5 paper stages and one steel stage. Probably about 24 rounds on the paper stages, with substantially less on the steel stage.

I'll post more tomorrow night when the actual layouts are decided.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm. Thanks, I'd forgotten about those. [smile]
Depends on the steel I suppose. I have fired plenty of russian-type 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 at steel plates and none of them have come close to going through. As far as I know, HSC has no rule governing this ammo being shot at all the other steel targets on other ranges. Just rules against true steel core or penetrator ammo.

But I'm not running the match so it isn't my call.

Depends on the steel I suppose. I have fired plenty of russian-type 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 at steel plates and none of them have come close to going through. As far as I know, HSC has no rule governing this ammo being shot at all the other steel targets on other ranges. Just rules against true steel core or penetrator ammo.

I can't comment on what will or will not penetrate a steel plate. I'll mention what you said tomorrow during the discussion, but I think that we'd rather err on the side of caution.

If it divots the steel it creates a potentially dangerous situation, it doesn't have to penetrate it. Which is why steel core, steel penetrator and even bi metal bullets are not allowed.

If it divots the steel it creates a potentially dangerous situation, it doesn't have to penetrate it. Which is why steel core, steel penetrator and even bi metal bullets are not allowed.

+1. You don't have to drill a hole in a steel plate to ruin it.

Cool. I'll bring Wolf for the paper stages, and Wolf Gold for any stages that have steel. I was thinking M1 Carbine but don't want to lose all that brass.

I can't comment on what will or will not penetrate a steel plate. I'll mention what you said tomorrow during the discussion, but I think that we'd rather err on the side of caution.

Okay, the official word...

4 paper stages, between 20 and 24 rounds each. One steel/paper stage, maximum range of 65 yards. No ammo with any steel in the bullets on the stage with steel targets.

I was just wondering what the procedure is for getting around with the rifle between stages. Do you leave it cased until it’s your turn to shoot or how does it usually work? I’ve never shot a rifle match and was just wondering what the safety rules are.

Carry it in a case between stages. There is usually a rack at the stage, so you can uncase and put in the rack until you are up. After you shoot, unload and show clear then back in the rack or into your case.

Case is fine, I see it as a PITA. I use a chamber flag, carry with muzzle up, and put it on a rack.

You will see lots of baby carrages with rifle racks on them

Back
Top Bottom