HSGI Operator belt

headednorth

NES Member
Just ordered one and went with the velcro lining because it seemed to me that it would stay anchored in place better than the other option with the grippy rubber type liner. Afterwards, I thought that being in New England, maybe it would be better off having the rubber lined belt because it would be easier to put on over a few layers of clothes during cold weather.

Am I correct in thinking the rubber would be better option for cold weather use? I guess it gets sweaty in the summer and therefore tends to move around more than the velcro option. Anyone have any real world experience with either type? (not necessarily HSGI)

Just wondering if I should change my order to the grippy option or stay with the velcro. Intended use is for pistol and/or rifle classes in MA/NH year round.

Thanks

I used a velcro style rig (gun belt and inner pants belt) from Ares Tactical for a few years.

It worked well enough but yes it’s made to work together for it to be effective. Wearing it outside of a jacket wouldn’t work that great for you.

I never used one of the rubber lined ones though I have looked at them and checked them out enough to say that would seem a better choice for wearing alone outside of a jacket.

Couple issues with the velcro belts that I ran into,

With daily use (on and off a couple times a day) the velcro ‘loop’ starting fraying and stretching pretty quickly, looked like a belt afro and had to be burned down constantly or trimmed, eventually leaving bald spots all around over time.

Because of this I then needed to start using ‘belt keepers’ to secure the belts together. Only problem with that was then having to stretch some keepers and squeeze them hard around both belts (just barely made it) to fit over the padded molle belt.

It worked, but was falling apart pretty quickly for its cost and certainly didn’t end up pretty with a melted afro sticking out all over. I eventually just took a knife and cut off all the inner ‘loop’ material to get rid of it and now that belt will only work with the keepers cuz it’s slick on the inside.

If I had to do it over again I’d go with the rubber belt lining, all heavy equipment belts will make you sweat and rub all the hot spots, but I think you’ll get more life and more wear options out of the rubber than the velcro.

ETA: just re-read your intended use and with that information, if it was me I’d just go with a good stiff riggers belt as the outer and use belt keepers to attach it firmly to your inner pants belt.

Even in winter you could wear a couple layers with a good wool sweater, tucked or untucked and still be good with a holster, blowout kit and a couple mag pouches on it, unless you’re going full .mil look and stacking equipment all around your waist just for classes or range fun.

Last edited:
Just ordered one and went with the velcro lining because it seemed to me that it would stay anchored in place better than the other option with the grippy rubber type liner. Afterwards, I thought that being in New England, maybe it would be better off having the rubber lined belt because it would be easier to put on over a few layers of clothes during cold weather.

Am I correct in thinking the rubber would be better option for cold weather use? I guess it gets sweaty in the summer and therefore tends to move around more than the velcro option. Anyone have any real world experience with either type? (not necessarily HSGI)

Just wondering if I should change my order to the grippy option or stay with the velcro. Intended use is for pistol and/or rifle classes in MA/NH year round.

Thanks

If you're a propper gear whore you'll just buy both and post a lengthy explanation of why both are necessary to justify your inner gear whore.....

Last edited:
Something to also think about. Are you going to be wearing a drop leg holster with leg strap(s) or a regular hip holster type attachment on it?

This will be important if you’re wearing the belt by itself over and outside of a jacket due to draw strength and not having much securing the holster and belt in place, the whole belt may rise up making your draw sloppy, slow or even unlikely.

With a drop leg set up at least you have the leg straps to secure the holster from rising up with your gun during your draw, outside of your jacket.

Did I explain that ok, without confusing the hell out of you?

I have both the velcro and rubber versions. The velcro one fits very securely with the velcro "inner belt" looped through your pants, like normal. However, I have taken classes at Sig outdoors when it may be raining or very cold (like sliding on ice sheets while trying to hit targets). For bad weather, the rubber version is good. It will slide out of place, if your are running with it or rolling around on the ground, but not as much as the velcro one without the inner belt (since you are wearing the belt on the outside of rain gear or a jacket).

Learning how your gear works for you is part of the point of taking classes, in addition to becoming more proficient with your firearms and having fun.

Thanks
I would keep the velro, and add the HSGI Micro Grip Belt Panel. This is what I use, and works great.

Something to also think about. Are you going to be wearing a drop leg holster with leg strap(s) or a regular hip holster type attachment on it?

This will be important if you’re wearing the belt by itself over and outside of a jacket due to draw strength and not having much securing the holster and belt in place, the whole belt may rise up making your draw sloppy, slow or even unlikely.

With a drop leg set up at least you have the leg straps to secure the holster from rising up with your gun during your draw, outside of your jacket.

Did I explain that ok, without confusing the hell out of you?
I was planning on a belt mounted holster, no drop leg. I see what you're saying though.

Back
Top Bottom