Hungarian heavy ball 7.62x54r

SKS Ray

NES Member
Anyone remember this stuff? From what I can tell its Hungarian heavy ball 7.62x54r with a steel core. I know the supply is dried up so I can't find much info on it.
20191001_200531.jpg

I have a zip lock bag with 10 rounds in it. Bought it with 20 in it. 180 grain from my recollection.

Yup 180gr and corrosive as the brown acid at Woodstock.

Make sure to piss in your barrel at the end of your range session but definitely take the bolt out first (ask me how I know)

paulharveyrestofstory.jpg
Now I need to know the rest of the story

I do believe urea is better than ammonia.

I have two spam cans unopened and one about half finished of that stuff. Shoots very very well in the two Mosins I have touched.

All three cans have a note "Bring Windex. Bring Funnel".

Windex and ammonia are useless. There is nothing that neutralizes a salt which is what corrosive primers leave behind when fired. You need water to dissolve and wash the salt away. Adding some soap to the water as a surfactant will help float away the salt and some dirt too. The only thing ammonia would do is dissolve copper deposits after some time and windex has very little ammonia in it so the water in it is doing the work of removing the corrosive residue. You're just wasting money using anything more than warm/hot soapy water.

The earlier dated ammunition , dated 1953, was lead core and for its age was accurate out of Finn M39’s. If its similar to that year you should be pleased.

I have most of a 440rnd tin of Russian 7N1 left. The only x54 gun I have nowadays is a ratty looking T53 but it shoots straight. It's kind of a shame to shoot such a hard to find "sniper" round through a carbine though. ;)

Back
Top Bottom