• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter...and muzzle loader were both cocked.

whacko

NES Member
From mass epo fb page.

On Saturday, September 26, 2020, the last day of bear season, a Massachusetts Environmental Police Officer patrolling a wildlife management area in Western Massachusetts observed an individual emerge from the woods approximately two hours after legal shooting hours had ended. The Officer quickly identified that the man’s black powder rifle was loaded and the hammer cocked; upon approach, the Officer further determined the individual was intoxicated.

The incident resulted in criminal charges being filed for hunting under the influence and hunting after hours. The firearm was also seized.

Probably not really hunting after hours, more likely got crocked in his stand and passed out.

But hey, don't drink and do guns.

If coming out of the woods after hours alone is reason to suspect hunting after hours, then I'm guilty of that every damn evening I hunt deer. I don't even get down from the stand until closing hours and then it takes me time to pack up my sticks and stand - then I have the hike out in the dark... 2 hours is a bit long I'll agree. But it routinely takes me an hour after the closing bell before I emerge from the woods. Sometimes longer depending on the length of the hike and how rough the terrain may be.

If coming out of the woods after hours alone is reason to suspect hunting after hours, then I'm guilty of that every damn evening I hunt deer. I don't even get down from the stand until closing hours and then it takes me time to pack up my sticks and stand - then I have the hike out in the dark... 2 hours is a bit long I'll agree. But it routinely takes me an hour after the closing bell before I emerge from the woods.

I suspect the reason for the hunting after hours charge was that he had a loading hunting implement in his hands When he exited the woods.

Bob

I'm not a muzzleloader guy but isn't unloading one in the woods a PITA?

not defending this guys actions.... just curious

If coming out of the woods after hours alone is reason to suspect hunting after hours, then I'm guilty of that every damn evening I hunt deer. I don't even get down from the stand until closing hours and then it takes me time to pack up my sticks and stand - then I have the hike out in the dark... 2 hours is a bit long I'll agree. But it routinely takes me an hour after the closing bell before I emerge from the woods. Sometimes longer depending on the length of the hike and how rough the terrain may be.

What made it "Hunting" was the "loaded" (i.e. primed) hunting implement, not walking out of the woods after sunset.

I'm not a muzzleloader guy but isn't unloading one in the woods a PITA?

not defending this guys actions.... just curious
To legally unload a muzzleoader you just need to remove the primer.

Odds are high that this guy was hunting with a muzzleloader because he couldnt own firearms due to
A DUI conviction.

Im sure the EPO saw the vehicle and sat on it until the guy came out of the woods and had already ran his plate.

He already knew this guy was a drunk and the guy lived up to his reputation.

Odds are high that this guy was hunting with a muzzleloader because he couldnt own firearms due to
A DUI conviction.

Im sure the EPO saw the vehicle and sat on it until the guy came out of the woods and had already ran his plate.

He already knew this guy was a drunk and the guy lived up to his reputation.
I have no issues with that scenario. There was probable cause to wait to check him (for a hunting license) just based on the car being in a wma parking lot that late.

Back
Top Bottom