Hunting Clothing and Gear

What do you guys recommend buying for clothing and gear for a first time turkey and deer hunter. I was hoping to get a jump on buying stuff and spread out the expense a little bit. The traditional camo colors/patterns used for deer seem a little dark for spring turkey where more green seems appropriate. What about ground blinds? I know people use them for turkey but have never heard of them for deer. Do people really use those giant vests with seats for turkey? I really don't know where to start and am feeling a little overwhelmed. This stuff isn't cheap and I don't wan to make any foolish purposes.

Thanks for the help.

John
baystategamecock (formerly zenprop)

I am a big fan of cabela's white tail extreme clothing. I think its all on sale now.

Get a good All purpose camo, and you will be fine in most scenarios, as camo is just to break up your outline, not to match exactly your surroundings.

Ground blinds are good for deer and turkey. Just be smart if using one during shotgun season for deer. (Tag all corners with blaze orange for safety)

You can get away with using a "browner" bottoms any season. Layers are best. Go for an outer layer that is wind/water resistant but quiet and a size or two bigger than you are. Under that you can just layer up with fleece (warmth) and/or Under Armor (misture wicking material) to match the weather. But remember in MA we have to wear that 500 inches of orange so......

Try Realtree APG it seems to have a good mix of browns and green that works good for Turkey season but is not too green for once the leaves come off the trees in deer season. You could get a more brown top because your turkey vest generaly covers most of you torso with an appropriate color combination. I am a huge fan of the vests. Comfortable seat, carrying pouch for decoys and dead bird, and plenty of pockets for the dozens of calls I bring out. As far as bllinds go I was never a fan of them...until I started using them. It is alot of fun to get on the same level as deer and they are so light and portable you can still use it for run and gun turkey hunting. That being said, if you are just starting out I would save my money and not get the ground blind and get a tree stand for deer hunting instead. I also hunted Turkeys for years in a brown "deer season" camo and did fine.

Check out Dick's Sporting Goods; they have camo clothing close-outs now. Some weeks are 50% off the close-out prices now, but you have to watch the signs. For turkey hunting, I do use a vest and I've had it for 10+years and hunt multiple states. It is helpful carrying the gear and for long waits on wet or rough ground. Another tip is to make sure your back is up to the largest tree around (at least the width of your shoulders if you can) in case another hunter sneaks up behnd you (it has happened to me). RealTree AP is a good pattern for around here but more important is to not move/fidget.

You can get away with the same clothes for turkey and deer but consider:

1. Firearm deer season is generally COLD, Turkey season is mild to HOT. Different clothes needed.
2. Scent control is important for deer. You may want to consider scent block type clothes for deer.
3. I've never used a ground blind for anything. As for use during firearm deer season, it pretty much invalidates your wearing hunter orange. Not so sure that is a good idea....

For starters this turkey season, I would say just get a cheap camp coverall, a good call, and go sit in the woods. That experience will tell you if you would prefer a seat or a back pack to haul whatever additional stuff you may or may not want. Everyone has their own preferences and it is up to you to determine what you like or need.

A related question: when (if ever) would I want to be hunting in straight blaze orange (no camo)?

I have a jacket like that. It was made for hunting, but I have it because it's incredibly warm and I sometimes work in the woods during deer season.

Just wondering, if I did want to bag a deer (or turkey or whatever else), would I want something else? I see plenty of deer as is, damn things are everywhere, but I bet that changes when I've got a gun in my hands...

(I've got guns, I like eating meat, I like being outdoors... Really seems like I ought to give hunting a shot already. Didn't grow up with it, though.)

There are so many camo patterns out there you could go crazy.Don't believe the hype most of the designs are so you could look cool in front of other hunters.Buy what you could afford as long as it breaks up your outline you should be fine.Deer are color blind but do see UV so don't use any Uv brightner det.
To amb, those solid orange jackets are generally for upland and small game where break-up isn't in issue the deer could potentially see you as in abnormal blob and steer clear of you.

I don't think the full orange coat has much of a negative impact at all. It's really your scent and movement that give you away. Provided that you have taken steps to make sure the coat is as scent free as possible, I say go for it.

This thread is picking up some action and I like it! I was thinking about a set up like this for spring turkey:
crazycreek.jpg
G_Blind.jpg

I figure that style ground blind should help a first time hunter with concealing some movement, I wouldn't need to buy camo pants, and I can use a Camelback backpack (not camo) that I already.

Does anybody use any ghile style clothing for turkey or deer? Seems like it would help with turkey but wouldn't be much help in a tree stand for deer.

Back
Top Bottom