• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting Education Courses - MA

Hi,

I've searched around and have had a hard time finding any one day or weekend hunting courses - I have a hectic work schedule and travel a lot, it's hard for me to fit in 6 weeknights,especially since none of the locations are too close to me.

I know the ones offered by the state are free, but I'd even pay for a course if there was a one or 2 day available.... anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

There are none. All the courses must go through the state and be taught by the certified volunteer instructors. What you see is what you get.

There is a (mostly) online option available if that works.

One of the free state sponsored courses is offered at the international order of odd fellows on nantucket twice per year. This course is run Sat-Sun on back to back 8 hr days. Might want to give the people that run the hunters ed program for the state a call and ask them when the next time this course will be offered.

Great group of guys that run the class there and not a bad deal for anyone that would want to make a weekend out of it on the island. I chose this location for the same reason as you, weekend course was much better with the work schedule.

Also turned out to be a fun little trip- believe it or not nantucket has a beachside hostel that runs only about $40 bucks a night. I took the ferry over, went to class, afterwards enjoyed a few beers at cisco brewery before I crashed at the hostel. end of the weekend i had my hunter's certification and a cheap trip to nantucket.

If nantucket is not your thing, i seem to recall seeing weekend course being offered over the summer by the dcr in newburyport. These were posted on the ma hunter ed site with all the others.

Back
Top Bottom