• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting Snapping Turtles in Boston (Frog Pond)?????

It's a crime to relocate wildlife in MA, but in some cases, you can kill nuisance animals legally.
When I got my S1 sporting license (fishing and hunting) last year, the lady at town hall gave me a copy of the abstracts of MA fish and game law, which I read from cover to cover one rainy Sunday afternoon. One section (two pages) was called The Sportsmens' Guide to Turtles. Interesting info. It was spelled out that not only is it legal under MA law to help turtles across the road (keep them going in the direction they want to), it was also encouraged. Now, they are not suggesting that someone stop their car and help a turtle across a high-speed interstate highway, but if it is a road that is less traveled and it can be done safely, it is perfectly legal. Very interesting read!

yeah, I am going to roll the dice of getting hit by some mass driver texting to help a turtle???? Not very likely!

unless... maybe if I had a hankering for some fresh turtle soup...

I understand the importance of hunting for food or to improve the herd.

What is the point of killing a turtle?

Are they really a nuisance?

It is not like they are messing up property like beavers do.

Me and some other citizens helped a wayward turtle cross the road the other day.

Why would any decent human being want to kill a snapper just for fun.

If you wet your bed and like fire- you should be worried.

Killing animals is 1/3 of the homicidal triad.

I grew up in the '70s in Western Ky. and fished all kinds of water. My dad would kill snapping turtles in farm ponds and gar in rivers because they would eat to many of the "sport" fish (bass, crappie). I think he regrets it now as he has a better understanding of the food chain, and not just about how many crappie he could string up and make into poor mans shrimp cocktail (smoked crappie is good).

Anyway, I'll never forget the barbaric rock bashing of the gar and the whacking of snappers by the tail against a tree.

I saw a snapper at a pond on private property the other day that was enormous, especially for up here. I'm sure he ate everything that fell into that pond.

Snapping turtles are a nuisance at least and f*ing dangerous if you don;t know what to do in close proximity.

In florida these things get to be 100's of pounds and can bite your finger clean off.
NEVER, EVER Handle a snapping turtle by anything other than its tail (neck is long and they can bite their own hind legs if they bend the right way).

If I didn't live in boston I would be out there shooting these SOB's.

Keep your distance.

Let them live. They're not monsters. Jeez Louise they're only reptiles. But I will agree they're scary coming up to your boat.

I understand the importance of hunting for food or to improve the herd.

What is the point of killing a turtle?

Are they really a nuisance?

It is not like they are messing up property like beavers do.

Me and some other citizens helped a wayward turtle cross the road the other day.

Why would any decent human being want to kill a snapper just for fun.

If you wet your bed and like fire- you should be worried.

Killing animals is 1/3 of the homicidal triad.
Lots of people like to eat turtle.

they eat several #'s of fish a day.
had a nice pickeral i caught in my kayak 1 day.
i was taking my time with the hook because of the rows of teeth they have.
his tail was in the water, i felt a big tug on him, a snapper had latched on.i removed the hook quick and let him have it.
as a kid me and cousin left a big bass and yellow perch tied to the dock on a stringer because of a lightning storm.
when the storm passed we came back out to find just the heads of both fish on the stringer.
always worried about snappers when skinny dipping.....

I live on a pond so I see turtles all the time...They will often lay eggs in my compost pile...Have raised a few of the lagging babys up and let them go into the pond after a bit,,They keep the pond nice and clean..No stink of dead floating fish with them around...Moved this girl the first week of June..She laid her eggs and afterwards from exhaustion or something laid in the road for 2 hours..Nice one about 12 pounds

Northern Rally 10.jpg

Good luck with the 500ft dwelling rule near the Charles river. If you just want to hunt them for fun head to Harold Parker in North Andover...then you can (literally) scare the crap out of some clif bar chomping mountain biker...when 6 of your camo wearing AR (22 lr...keep it simple) toting friends pop out of the brush and surround him (I mean the snapping turtle).

That would be fun!!

Coach

As for turtles I helped a painter that had wandered across Middlesex turnpike last week. It had wandered about 100 yards from Nutting Lake and was attempting to dig under a chain link fence. I thought for sure a car would get it so I placed it back in the lake. As for snappers I have scar on the left calf from when I stepped on one by mistake while swimming as a kid. It just clawed me by mistake as it was swimming away.

photo (21).JPG

I used to hunt them when I was a kid except I just grabbed them. I'd walk around by an old dam and when they opened it the grass would lay flat and you could see open circles where they would bury them selves and just poke their heads up for air. I'd lever them out with sticks just for the fun of it.

and then what?

Then nothing. I'd go look for another one.

Sounds pretty sick to me if you're going around clubbing turtles "just for the fun of it".

He said "clubbing" where?

he didn't say clubbing, i said clubbing.
maybe i should have said "Sounds pretty sick to me if you're going around 'levering them out with sticks, just for the fun of it' "
That better?

Back
Top Bottom