• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Husky work bench - anyone using one? Update: The results and some good DIY plans.

Anyone using one of these husky work benches for reloading?
Husky Heavy Duty 6 ft. Adjustable Height Workbench-HTC1000004 - The Home Depot
Looking for a workbench / reloading bench for the basement and trying to figure out if i will have an issue mounting a press to it.

Updates:
Thanks to @wegman : Nice DIY workbench plans on Post 36

My Half assed review of the husky bench Post 46 and the project
Cliffs notes: Bench is OK, but not worth the price they get IMO. Needs to be ancored to a wall for stability, frame can get in the way of mounting a press.

Last edited:
Legs/feet are way to small that thing will wiggle and dance all over the place, better benches can be had on craigs list.

this bench is night and day better,

theres a few heavy duty wooden benches also.
if I only had the space

1. I don't reload-yet. So take that as no experience with presses, etc.
2. Best benches are usually home made.
3. Some folks I know have had success with the Harbor Freight workbench. 60 in. 4 Drawer Hardwood Workbench
4. Look into 2x4 basics. I have a non reloading workbench I built that is a fricken beast.
Its not a bad bench when tou get it on sale or with 20% off. You cant buy the wood and hardware for its price. The vise comes in handy as do the dogs. Not sure if they are still the same “quality” as 5+ years ago.
They are narrow and fit small places well.
I might pick up another one
They are narrow and the draws suck.
You will thank yourself if you bolt it down. Dont over work it.
There are better used benches on craigs list.

consider how you want to reload, sitting or standing , option of both.
My small space dictated a custom work station and I like to stand. My reloading bench is only 30”x30” with some shelves.
Built mostly of plywood salvage from jobsites

Last edited:
Whatever bench you buy or make, consider figuring how you will attach it to the wall. In my case, I Ramshot some 2x4s to the concrete block wall tight to the top of the bench, as a form on anti-tilt restraint. Your press will mount to the front of the bench, and for some operations (e.g., case forming, full length sizing of big brass) the press exerts a strong tipping moment to the press.

Legs/feet are way to small that thing will wiggle and dance all over the place, better benches can be had on craigs list.
That's exactly why i was asking if anyone had one / tried one. at 125lbs its not exactly light. My concern was mainly around the if the supports would be right in the very spot the rock chucker bolt holes are.

you can make a hell of a rough workbench out of 2x lumber for $300.
Very likely, but have you seen the price of lumbar lately? Its amazing what you don't get for $300. Although, this is more of a time saving endeavor.

Too small and too light.
I am coming from a 24 x 48, 5/8" plywood top and some sketchy steel frame adding up to all of 30lbs. SO this is an upgrade. LOL

I may give it a try, If it doesn't work for reloading - it will work as a general purpose bench and i'll just build another for reloading. space is not an issue.

I would tell you to just make one from 2x6's but these days you would go broke because they are $9 each (2x6x8). Maybe look into a local sawmill for some rough cut pine.

In the spring I will be buying a sawmill and turning a bunch of pine trees on my property into rough cut lumber for various projects. No FN way I will be paying $5 for a 2x4 and $9 for a 2x6 when I can buy a $5000 machine to make my own.....then, after I have cut an assload of lumber....I can sell it for $3500.

That's exactly why i was asking if anyone had one / tried one. at 125lbs its not exactly light. My concern was mainly around the if the supports would be right in the very spot the rock chucker bolt holes are.

Very likely, but have you seen the price of lumbar lately? Its amazing what you don't get for $300. Although, this is more of a time saving endeavor.

I am coming from a 24 x 48, 5/8" plywood top and some sketchy steel frame adding up to all of 30lbs. SO this is an upgrade. LOL

I may give it a try, If it doesn't work for reloading - it will work as a general purpose bench and i'll just build another for reloading. space is not an issue.

oh yeah!!.. I was looking to make a few 2x4 benches for my club.. figured the 8'ers would run me $3-4 ea. for the better stuff... almost $6 each now..

still.. for a simple workbench.. I would think 300 would get you quite a few 2xs for a frame, and a couple of sheets of 3/4" ply for a top and maybe a shelf underneath.

125lbs is not that heavy once you start putting leverage on the table, especially high and on the ends.
For what the husky costs go used. If your one of those that just cant go used and meet up with strangers to get a good deal , well buy new.

As for building one yourself...going to the luber yards price out $300 worth of wood. Wont go far really BUT you would be surprised how much wood job sites toss in the dumpster.

Almost every jobsite foreman will let you go through the dumpster makes more room for them and any chance they get to not pay for another dumpster they will take it.

125lbs is not that heavy once you start putting leverage on the table, especially high and on the ends.
For what the husky costs go used. If your one of those that just cant go used and meet up with strangers to get a good deal , well buy new.

As for building one yourself...going to the luber yards price out $300 worth of wood. Wont go far really BUT you would be surprised how much wood job sites toss in the dumpster.

Almost every jobsite foreman will let you go through the dumpster makes more room for them and any chance they get to not pay for another dumpster they will take it.

Forgot to mention, paying with a home dopo gift card that was free via amex points. So thats why looking there.

Anyone using one of these husky work benches for reloading?
Husky Heavy Duty 6 ft. Adjustable Height Workbench-HTC1000004 - The Home Depot
Looking for a workbench / reloading bench for the basement and trying to figure out if i will have an issue mounting a press to it.
My reloading section is a mess because I am reorganizing the gun room.

But it works great. I removed the wheels.

20210118_101829.jpg

I was going to cut my own piece of wood for the top, but HD had them for like $15 so I bought one.

In the bottom drawer I have a little over 100lbs of cast bullets and brass.

Top drawer has small tools.
Second drawer has around 5K primers.
Third has a bunch of reloading stuff.
Bottom is all bullets and brass.

When everything was empty, I loaded the bottom drawer too heavy, opened it and the entire thing almost fell on me. LOL. Just keep it loaded with stuff or anchor it to a wall/floor.

Forgot to mention, paying with a home dopo gift card that was free via amex points. So thats why looking there.
Valid, these benches all seem to be narrow -24" good for smaller places. Although often large bench space ends up being storage or what I call the dump.

Last edited:
oh yeah!!.. I was looking to make a few 2x4 benches for my club.. figured the 8'ers would run me $3-4 ea. for the better stuff... almost $6 each now..

still.. for a simple workbench.. I would think 300 would get you quite a few 2xs for a frame, and a couple of sheets of 3/4" ply for a top and maybe a shelf underneath.

Built shelves in my garage in early OCT. 2x4s were $7+, more for the 12'. CDX was $40+ for 5/8s (or did i get 1/2 ?) Either way the project was over $300 and a day of my time.
Shelvs are 12' long, ceiling is 12' high.
1610983336659.png

I have a number of heavy duty husky products, tool chest, tool bench and while not cheap I have been extremely pleased with them.

For my reloading bench I used a harbor freight Windsor been rock solid, I like them so much I have 3 of them, they are often on sale anywhere for $99 to $130.

2018BB0D-4E28-436F-92F5-FE1B088793F3.jpeg AB1B315B-6FA7-43F8-9C1C-6467F235DAF5.jpeg

I have both my presses on a 5 foot long rolling husky tool box like the one in the photo above. Works great plenty of storage. Once you get some weight in it it is rock solid and dose not move

I have a number of heavy duty husky products, tool chest, tool bench and while not cheap I have been extremely pleased with them.

For my reloading bench I used a harbor freight Windsor been rock solid, I like them so much I have 3 of them, they are often on sale anywhere for $99 to $130.

View attachment 437626

Whats the stand you have the rock chucker on? I haven't seen that before.

View attachment 437626View attachment 437627

That Harbor freight bench seems like a great deal if it's sturdy enough.. shit.. definitely can't build one that cheap.

now that we've cleaned out the basement a bit, I'm looking to restructure and organize my space a bit more.

I have owned a few of those HF benches over the years. They're OK. Not really heavy duty though.

Thank you for this. Would there be a problem mounting the press due to supports where the press would through bolt?
No. The bench is so narrow that if you apply too much pressure it will flip. We have a vise on ours and we ended up lagging it to the wall to keep it steady.

That Harbor freight bench seems like a great deal if it's sturdy enough.. shit.. definitely can't build one that cheap.

now that we've cleaned out the basement a bit, I'm looking to restructure and organize my space a bit more.
Very solid, I have one with two heavy machines on, does not rock. They come flat packed, take your time with assembly and they are great. You can pull the draws out to bolt things through the top. Any doubts you could add bracing to the legs but I have not had to do that yer. The desk as holes in for carpentry, I just purchased some wood dowels and glued in place.

Back
Top Bottom