HXP, always a flyer

Nice shooting. We now have documented proof of the flyer!
That is a really good price for the ammo.
I would be tempted just to pay for the 35rds of HXP at the OCSA match but shoot my handloads but that kind of seems contrary to the spirit of the event. At about 71 cents each it beats CMP prices now.
How many shooters, would you estimate?

I recently joined Westwood Gun Club and attended one of their two yearly Garand Matches today. The match fee for members was $20 and included 60 rounds of M2 Ball. It's been a while since I shot surplus out of my Garand, but at .33c/rnd it's hard to say no. When I got there, a few Spam cans of the 20round boxes were being opened. I was issued 3 unopened boxes of HXP '69 all from the same lot. The Match was pretty casual and relaxed, more like a bunch of guys with Garands, but a good time regardless. Here's my slow prone target with the famed HXP flyer.

https://i.imgur.com/znbd4MX.jpg

Nice any idea where in the string that one happened ...... often it's shot #2 for score!

Wow 20$ for 60 rounds I hope they are sitting on good amount of ammo to keep that up...
They are what 5 price increases behind. Even if they where making a bit on the ammo they won't have a decent bank roll to resupply.

At $1 for 3 rounds, I still think you came out ahead!
But yeah, that one doesn't belong in your group. I actually counted to make sure you didn't have a bonus hole from your neighbor...

Nice shooting. We now have documented proof of the flyer!
That is a really good price for the ammo.
I would be tempted just to pay for the 35rds of HXP at the OCSA match but shoot my handloads but that kind of seems contrary to the spirit of the event. At about 71 cents each it beats CMP prices now.
How many shooters, would you estimate?

IIRC Pembroke states ammo to be used at the match.
Also another club I belong to only was allowed to buy 4k rounds for their latest ammo purchase from CMP they do about 4-6k a year. Thinking of limiting the ammo to those who use club guns only and reducing to 35 shots also. We will see.
Cmp is just holding on at few clubs. Basically when the ammo is sold out cmp will most likely end or be severely reduced.

IIRC Pembroke states ammo to be used at the match.
Also another club I belong to only was allowed to buy 4k rounds for their latest ammo purchase from CMP they do about 4-6k a year. Thinking of limiting the ammo to those who use club guns only and reducing to 35 shots also. We will see.
Cmp is just holding on at few clubs. Basically when the ammo is sold out cmp will most likely end or be severely reduced.
Yeah I wouldn't do that, like I said I would feel sleazy about it. I would either buy it and shoot or not buy it at all. I will be doing a first go with the FG special this week, hopefully Thursday, to get it sighted. So that will generate some brass I can use to make some rounds for the match. I have 20 Winchester cases sitting around too. Rest of my non-commercial/surplus rounds is loaded with plinking loads already. I need to start planning everything now so I am not rushing last minute like I always do. I can't find my notes from when I spoke to Mountain last autumn before that match. I still haven't bought/made a SLED so I will want to do that. Want to grab another web sling for the SKS to start trying that out for the MM match.

There were 7 shooters. As I mentioned, the Match was pretty casual and laid back. An older gentleman shot his beautiful DCM IBM Carbine w/ a Rockola barrel for one of the courses of fire.

BTW, I have 30-40 pieces of commercial 30-06 that you're welcome to have. I'll bring it to the next Pembroke match. You also might want to check out the WTS ammo forum on CMP, you can probably score a nice cache of HXP 1x fired for cheap.
Nice. I won't be at the next one but I will be at the one after (June 11). If you remember it would be appreciated. Good idea on the CMP forum too.
I believe the club subsidized most of the ammo cost. For non-members the fee was $40, still under market value for HXP. The Club Secretary told me they might switch over to PPU once the HXP runs dry. I believe they only run 2 of the Garand matches a year, so it's not a monthly recurring hit on the ammo like other clubs.
PPU sounds like a good idea, especially if they are doing them infrequently. I would imagine a good amount of people shoot their own reloads anyway.

Back
Top Bottom