• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hypothetical C&R transfer to MA C&R holder

chopper_man

Army Veteran
NES Member
Hey folks, hypothetical transfer opinions please.

NY resident passes, owns several C&R rifles.
No written will, family agrees son (MA resident) should have them.
Son, non licensed, potentially a PP so pursuing MA LTC/FID may be a non-option, but going to attempt anyways.
Can a MA C&R holder simply take possession of said rifles and simply add to their bound book?
Thoughts/Opinions? Anything except "what rifles" would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
-Brian

What rifles?

kidding. It's not clear from your question, but you DO know the MA 03 holder will also need a FID/LTC? I'm asking because it almost sounds like you're hoping the son can get an 03 and then simply take possession without the state's permission slip; that's a non-starter. Very illegal.

But if you can find an 03 in MA willing to take possession of a bunch of NY C&R rifles (I'm sure that won't be the problem), then yes. I assume they can just be logged in. I think, under these circumstances, MA would expect them all to be EFA-10ed, as the owner isn't moving here with them.

Hope this helps. Others will chime in who know more.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure as a FFL03 you can take possesion/buy long rifles with ease in any state unless the state has specific laws that even restrict FFL purchases and transfers.
I know California has their own BS regs that affect FFL 03. How NY laws apply you need to figure that out. If your FFL is not in NY state.
Have the rifles shipped to you. The PP should be left out of the entire transaction.
If you buy the rifles from the estate leave it up to them to pay the PP as a alternate form of getting the estate items

Back
Top Bottom