• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hypothetically: test fire at home

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
Hypothetically of course, how easy would it be to build a container to test fire at home...
for instance. There is an issue with a handgun cycling correctly and I need to test a round or two. Don't want to drive to the range, only to find I need to go back home to my shop. Hypothetically of course.
I've seen 55gallon buckets full of sand...5 gallon buckets with sand, steel plate at the bottom, line with sound absorbing material, steel pipe with sand...
i know it all depends what will be shot into it as far as how big will be a big factor too.
Suggestions?
Remember this is a hypothetical discussion

No matter what someone builds they still have to be careful of discharging within 500ft. If they don't have any neighbors then they may be ok depending on town/city ordinance. I don't have any ideas for a build tho.

I don't think it would be too hard to build. A large container partially filled with sand and water should suffice. The ones I've seen were about the size of an oven or small fridge.

Depends what you're firing. If I close the windows I can shoot .22 shorts all night and I live in a duplex. two liters or an arizona jug filled with water up against the minifridge stop it fine. I'd say medium 9mm and light-medium .45 would be about as loud as you can get away with firing indoors in a suburban neighborhood. In that case I'd say you're off to a good start. If you have a basement set it up there obviously. buckets and tubs deteriorate quickly when shot at, instead maybe build a frame to hold burlap or denim sacks full of sand. That way any damage is quickly mended with a needle and heavy duty thread. Make a sturdy backpiece angled at about 45 to catch anything that makes it through.

I thought i saw a yankee marshal video where he used a 5 gallon bucket and some sand in his basement

Didn't the myth busters fire different handguns in to a 55 gallon drum of water in their workshop on several shows?

You could learn to reload and shoot wax bullets?
Sure it might not test function but you will know it shoots. Wax bullets are more fun than just a,primed case.
Hypothetically you could cut a hole in your foundation wall and shoot at the dirt behind it.

Last edited:
No matter what someone builds they still have to be careful of discharging within 500ft. If they don't have any neighbors then they may be ok depending on town/city ordinance. I don't have any ideas for a build tho.
Not in mass: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12E

The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof;*

While your local police may not like it, it isn't against state law.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

OP: Are you looking for building tips, or legalities.

If building tips, what are you shooting chambering-wise? 22 or 9 or 500 S&W? A bucket of sand, properly sized will work. THe next consideration is noise - who's going to hear it? Don't shoot at night, when it's quiet.

If legalities, shooting on a "test range" eliminates the setback from the road and other houses. What you're planning should qualifiy, as you're testing the gun. The only other consideration is the town ordinances, and if they say, "NO!" then the issue is: how loud, who will hear, and who will they call?

This is truly a YMMV situation. If you're in a multi-family with easily-upset Antis....best not to. If you're in a house separated from the neighbors....crank the stereo, or wait for a thunderstorm.

I have a Detroit bullet trap that I purchased several years ago. According to the manufacturers instructions it will take any caliber up to two thousand feet per second at a minimum of twenty five feet.

IMG_2137.jpeg

5 gallon bucket with water outside. I've used it many times to test/collect expanded JHPs. It makes a big splash, and you should refill after each shot. The gun gets wet, and so do you.

55 gal drum with lid, 90% full of shredded landscaping rubber from Home depot, cut a hole in the lid and then put a 1/2" thick rubber sheet (from mcmaster carr for example) with an X cut into the center makes a good test barrel. The vid I copied from was shooting 300 blk into it but I stick with pistol rounds and it is very quiet in my closed garage with 9mm.

If just testing the function of the gun you could use a steel plate angled down into a large barrel of water or shredded rubber. You could also use frangible ammo so there would be less chance of something going wrong.

Dave is it one of these you use? https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Bul...qid=1496688938&sr=8-1&keywords=22+target+trap
Also is the steel plate AR 500 or something else and the bullet just goes down into the bottom of the trap?
Thank you.

Jim

That looks like an updated version of the one I have. I don't know what the plate is, but it has been in there at least 40 years and still going strong. Its 1/4 or 3/8 thick. The lead gets caught in the bottom of the trap. I added a bunch of lead shot to it to help keep it weighted down.

Dave

Shooting a .22 in the basement without ear protection is not a good idea....ask me how I know.

Breathing in unventilated lead fumes and dust indoors is a bad idea. Firing indoors repeatedly is no different than belt sanding lead paint for your health.

Back
Top Bottom