• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I am an idiot and need your help

So Im cleaning my Mosin tonight. Long story short I have a cleaning patch and park of my otis cleaning kit stuck in the barrell. Cant get it out. The short part of the cable is stuck in there, along with the brass connector to hold to the patch and the patch. This thing is wedged in there, I cant reach with plyers and I tried banging it out from the muzzle end ( I know not the best thing but its what I tried) any other ideas?

Im thinking Ill hit the concrete floor in the basment. I was slamming the cleaning rod with a hammer tonight I realize its not an expensive u=gun but it pisses me off, I like taking care of my stuff and it bothers me to bash it around like this.
Take it to the range and shoot a round through it. That should clear it. (kidding, don't do that) Probably going to have to put the rod in and slam it on the floor a few times. It shouldn't hurt it.

or just one shot - just load round of 7.62x54 and boommmmm JUST kidding ;) DONT DO IT!!!

3 shots of vodka will help for sure...
or you can take that barrel out and try to push it out with a rod from other side.

OK. Don't panic. This is actually pretty simply . Put the butt stock into a vice on your garage work bench. MAKE sure you wrap the stock in bubble wrap and then a couple of towels. Lock it down good. Now take some nylon rope and tie it to the handle of the cleaning rod. Tie the other end to the tow hitch on your 250 Super Duty. If you have an automatic, put it in low gear and *SLOWLY* take up the slack in the rope. When you feel tension. FLOOR IT! If you have a manual. Put it in 3rd gear and take up the slack in the rope *SLOWLY*. When you feel tension, shift to 1st gear,bring the revs to redline and then drop the clutch. I can absolutely guarantee something will give.

(PLEASE DON'T REALLY DO THIS)

Last edited:
OK. Don't panic. This is actually pretty simply . Put the butt stock into a vice on your garage work bench. MAKE sure you wrap the stock in bubble wrap and then a couple of towels. Lock it down good. Now take some nylon rope and tie it to the handle of the cleaning rod. Tie the other end to the tow hitch on your 250 Super Duty. If you have an automatic, put it in low gear and *SLOWLY* take up the slack in the rope. When you feel tension. FLOOR IT! If you have a manual. Put it in 3rd gear and take up the slack in the rope *SLOWLY*. When you feel tension, sift to 1st gear and then drop the clutch. I can absolutely guarantee something will give.

IM laughing on the inside i promise. Its just one of those things thats keeping me up right now. I cant shut my brain off.

I would go with a properly sized wooden dowel or brass rod. A cleaning rod is too flimsy.

Yes the cleaning rod is complete junk at this point. Where would I even get a brass rod this long? Hardware store?

Yes. Most of the stores have a rack of various metal bars and rods. I think it needs to be a decent fit to work well and to prevent damage.

Stand the gun in a bucket muzzle down, fill it the barrel from the breech with oil, let it completely soak through the patch, then try pulling the rod (if there's a handle left at this point) out, or tap it with that nice new brass rod. If that doesn't work, then this, but ONLY with video enabled:
OK. Don't panic. This is actually pretty simply . Put the butt stock into a vice on your garage work bench. MAKE sure you wrap the stock in bubble wrap and then a couple of towels. Lock it down good. Now take some nylon rope and tie it to the handle of the cleaning rod. Tie the other end to the tow hitch on your 250 Super Duty. If you have an automatic, put it in low gear and *SLOWLY* take up the slack in the rope. When you feel tension. FLOOR IT! If you have a manual. Put it in 3rd gear and take up the slack in the rope *SLOWLY*. When you feel tension, shift to 1st gear,bring the revs to redline and then drop the clutch. I can absolutely guarantee something will give.

ETA: Or you could fill the barrel with gas, take a match, tell your buddy "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!"

Or not...

I'd use a 1/4 inch steel rod from Home Depot or Lowes, they don't carry brass rods of any significant size, just brazing rod.

Put ONE layer of masking tape spiralled around it to the end and hammer it carefully. The steel rod is softer than the barrel and shouldn't mess it up.

Pour a small amount of battery acid down the barrel. It will dissolve the patch. It will probably begin to dissolve the barrel, too. You could try vinegar. Its a mild acid. But it would take longer, if it worked at all. A wooden dowel that fits with little play down the barrel with a screw in the very center, cut the head off the screw and spin the dowel. It should rip the patch apart.

Pour a small amount of battery acid down the barrel. It will dissolve the patch. It will probably begin to dissolve the barrel, too. You could try vinegar. Its a mild acid. But it would take longer, if it worked at all. A wooden dowel that fits with little play down the barrel with a screw in the very center, cut the head off the screw and spin the dowel. It should rip the patch apart.

Acid? Are you feeling ok? [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

Lets do it to your gun first to see if it works, then we'll try it on his.

You are trying to pound/work it out the opposite way it went in right? I'd go with the wooded or brass rod and a hammer myself. You never said how deep it was wedged. It's going to take some force being that wedged. and the Otis kit cable might also get in the way so keep tension on it. If you cannot get it moving I'd still try to burn it, but I have no idea how you would get it lit. Do no pour gas or lighter fluid in it.

I mean after you tried FreeWillie's way.

You are trying to pound/work it out the opposite way it went in right? I'd go with the wooded or brass rod and a hammer myself. You never said how deep it was wedged. It's going to take some force being that wedged. and the Otis kit cable might also get in the way so keep tension on it. If you cannot get it moving I'd still try to burn it, but I have no idea how you would get it lit. Do no pour gas or lighter fluid in it.

ITs like a half inch in from the breach end. But with the shape of the mosin I cant reach it with anything to grab it and pull it out. I tried banging it from the muzzle end back into the breach. I just might need something harder than the cleaning rod to do it. the cable is no longer attached outside of the barrel and im sure whats left inside its smashed from banging it, and the cable is probably making it stuck worse.

Got a propane torch? Try soaking the patch with more petroleum-based oil, take the rifle outdoors and stick the lighted torch in whichever end of the barrel that's closer to the problem. It may take a while, but the flame should eventually burn the patches.
After you try the vodka, the F250 and the live round, that is...

I was thinking a little torch would work. I tried one of those long lighters for bbq grills and candles but it suffocates when it gets close.

Got a propane torch? Try soaking the patch with more petroleum-based oil, take the rifle outdoors and stick the lighted torch in whichever end of the barrel that's closer to the problem. It may take a while, but the flame should eventually burn the patches.
After you try the vodka, the F250 and the live round, that is...

I would use a wooden dowel in reverse direction. The dowel shoule be just small enought to fit in the barrel (with a Mosin, probably a 1/4") cut to a length no more than a few inches longer than the barrel. If the stuck patch is quite a ways though the barrel already, you may have to use different length dowels as it will likely bend and snap if there's too much "slack" outside the barrel.

Then tap it out with a small hammer.

After having the same issue with a cleaning patch and having a squib at the range, the sound of hammering a metal cleaning rod in the barrel makes me cringe at what may be happening to the rifiling, particularly at the crown or if the rod slides between the patch and the rifling.

Last edited:
If it's that close to the breech, but a lighter gets extinguished dew to lack of O2, how about heating a metal coat hanger (or other thin metal rod) to red hot and inserting it to burn off the patch? Might take a few applications, but shouldn't the red hot metal should start smoldering away the patch, loosing it up? Heck, it can't hurt, (unless you burn yourself) right?

Back
Top Bottom